U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:10 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,673,003 times

Advertisements

I really like to cook from scratch, but sometimes I just dont have the time or energy. Looked for a thread, so if I missed it, my bad!
So, that being said, whats your favorite cheater methods for getting dinner on the table, and making it taste like you made it from scratch?
I like to use roasted garlic alfredo sauce, add some crumbled gorgonzola cheese and chopped flat leaf parsley, put it over pasta from the fridge case at the grocery store, salad, and garlic bread sticks from the freezer case. Tastes like you worked all day on dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,921,301 times
oh my goodness. when i first saw your thread title i thought it had to do with relationships! (how to successfully cheat on your spouse!)
my husband likes to add a bunch of junk to his frozen pizzas!

Last edited by nicolepsy; 01-04-2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: had to turn over the bacon

Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,555,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
oh my goodness. when i first saw your thread title i thought it had to do with relationships! (how to successfully cheat on your spouse!)
LOL! I thought the same thing at first, and of course had to check it out.

There aren't too many discriminating palettes in my house, so I generally don't make anything too complicated. Cakes are my cheat. I like to add cream sherry to butter recipe cake mixes and just dust with powdered sugar when done. Very simple, but tastes great.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,673,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
LOL! I thought the same thing at first, and of course had to check it out.

There aren't too many discriminating palettes in my house, so I generally don't make anything too complicated. Cakes are my cheat. I like to add cream sherry to butter recipe cake mixes and just dust with powdered sugar when done. Very simple, but tastes great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
my husband likes to add a bunch of junk to his frozen pizzas!
OMG, y'all aint right, I am wiping tears off my face from laughter!
Sorry, its just a boring thread about food!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 AM

21,904 posts, read 20,932,441 times
Okay people, where are our minds at?? Just kidding. When I make spaghetti sauce I start with a bottled brand like Classico, add some Italian sausage, spices, ground round, bell peppers, garlic and onions. Tastes like I worked on it all day!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Okay people, where are our minds at?? Just kidding. When I make spaghetti sauce I start with a bottled brand like Classico, add some Italian sausage, spices, ground round, bell peppers, garlic and onions. Tastes like I worked on it all day!!!
That sounds good and would go great with some of those frozen stuffed shells(thawed and cooked of course).

Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,921,301 times
why not also add some bacon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post

Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 37,758 times
Favorite food cheats. my kinda subject!!!

buy a rotisserie chicken. Come home tear off the meat and add it to salad. Save the bones and a little meat and toss it into a pot for soup..add noodles and salt.

and or/ take the meat and add it to a "skillet" type pasta dish. (frozen).

Best italian cheat i know is to goto Carrabas, order , take it home and put it on a plate. Hide the boxes. then put a little garlic in a pan and heat it up so that your home smells like garlic...when your guests are amazed you can admit it..or

Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim browning View Post
Favorite food cheats. my kinda subject!!!

buy a rotisserie chicken. Come home tear off the meat and add it to salad. Save the bones and a little meat and toss it into a pot for soup..add noodles and salt.

I have done the salad thing also, and it is very good

and or/ take the meat and add it to a "skillet" type pasta dish. (frozen).

Best italian cheat i know is to goto Carrabas, order , take it home and put it on a plate. Hide the boxes. then put a little garlic in a pan and heat it up so that your home smells like garlic...when your guests are amazed you can admit it..or
Now that's my kinda cheat!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 AM

395 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Yes, I had to open this thread to get some points on cheating too, lol!

It is hard for me to cheat because I'm allergic to soy, and prepackaged foods most often contain soy. And we don't like pasta, so I don't really need to cheat for anything to do with pasta. However, I do buy Preggo tomato sauce which I will sometimes add to things like soups or stews, and the once-a-year pasta dish I managed to force on my hubby. LOL Basically we just cook a lot of grilled foods, and have a potato or rice dish, along with veggies. If I'm in a hurry and need to cheat, we'll have frozen McCain's fries. Otherwise, I don't cheat, I have to make everything from scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink