Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

I have had two incidents of VERIFIED food poisoning where they took cultures and all the lab work. One was in an independent restaurant, the other in a national chain. In both cases, the food just didn't taste quite right.

Last year, I was incapacitated for two days with what I thought was a food poisoning case when I ate a prepared salad from a supermarket. I have to say that it was by far the worst I ever felt. I spent five hours in my MD's office with bag after bag of IV fluids. It was not food poisoning but a bad stomach flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:00 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I got pretty sick from spaghetti carbonara one time, must've gotten a bad egg. I would/have made and eaten it again, since I've learned mixing the cheese into the eggs prevents them curdling I probably cook it just a little bit longer now with very good 'creamy' results.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My mission in life is to be a "myth buster" about stomach viruses being called "flu". They're not. They're not caused by the flu virus. The reason many people think their flu shots didn't work, or worse yet, gave them the flu, is that people confuse stomach viruses with influenza.

OMG, does it really matter? Are you a doctor?? Nice way to derail a thread!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
After a case of the fun intestinal poisoning, I've never eaten anything with raw eggs in it again..

I read only 1 in 5000 eggs is tainted with Salmonella, and after years of eating raw cookie dough, it was the uncooked meringue I ate that gave me a vile case. It had to be that as DH and I ate the exact foods all day except the raw meringue I had to try...

I've also had it twice before from lettuce in foreign places...still eat lettuce at home but not in third world places...

Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Have you ever gotten sick from a food? Would you ever eat it again?
McDonald's salads. I got sick the first two times I ate one. It's been years and I still won't eat one. I also can't have their fries and milkshakes together. But I rarely eat there so it's pretty moot.

The first time I had Chinese food, I got food poisoning-we all did. It took years before I'd eat it again and now I have it almost every Friday for lunch.

When I was in college, I had a sack lunch every day for one semester my junior year. Everyday, it was a fatty ham sandwich with what seemed like an entire jar of mayo. I didn't get sick from it, but sick of it and to this day, almost 20 years later, I still can barely stomach ham. I'm good for about 3 bites and only if it's cooked and VERY thin.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:30 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My mission in life is to be a "myth buster" about stomach viruses being called "flu".
I met someone on a trip who made it her mission to educate me about whether or not I am really allergic to yeast. I was quite tempted to eat a piece of bread and promptly throw up on her to see how she felt on the subject after that.

Back on subject: anything with yeast in it I won't (knowingly) eat again.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,670 times
I've had food poisoning a few times, first from a major fast food chain, then from a franchised sit-down restaurant, and then from a food truck. I don't like to eat out as a result.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:44 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I've had food poisoning a few times, first from a major fast food chain, then from a franchised sit-down restaurant, and then from a food truck. I don't like to eat out as a result.
Again...really you really are sure it was food poisoning?

Last edited by ScarletG; 12-23-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Can't recall exact age, I'd say pre-teen - drank small carton of milk from a restaurant. Made me quite sick. I didn't drink plain white milk after that. Still don't. Hot chocolate or baked items (muffins, pancakes) was an exception.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Again...really you really are sure it was food poisoning?
Here comes the forum cop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink