U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Midwest
599 posts, read 825,576 times
Reputation: 976

Advertisements

Well, I'm fresh off of a brutal 24 hours, in which I had the worst stomach flu that you can imagine. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I'm completely cleaned out

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that I either got the stomach flu from changing my daughter's diaper, or it's a case of food poisoning. The foods that I ate the other day that made my stomach feel queasy were divinity and a honey bread. Even if they are not the culprits, I can never eat them again!

Here's my "never again" list:

- Peanut Butter Chicken (after a horrible experience at a Chinese buffet)
- Divinity
- Honey Bread

Have you ever gotten sick from a food? Would you ever eat it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 AM
 
32,103 posts, read 33,010,060 times
Reputation: 14956
Yes, I have gotten sick from food. I would try the food again if I find out of the reason for being sick had nothing to do with being allergic to it and I really liked the taste of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,415 posts, read 12,154,360 times
Reputation: 16645
May I ask what divinity is?

I just would never do Southern Comfort.

I have reported restaurants for food poisoning several times and each time
within 2 weeks the Health Dept has gotten back to me to say they corrected the infraction...
twice poor refrigeration...eggs and clam chowder, btw.
One I remember... simply poisoned by undiluted disinfectant they wiped the
chopping block with....Mid Easterners at Greek restaurant not reading directions
on a 5 gallon disinfectant. 1 cap to a gallon.

But, nope I continue eating scrambled eggs/ omelets, only, at restaurants,
never over easy, tho....and the others...like if the chowder is piping hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,931,209 times
Reputation: 7953
Back when I was a kid, you were able to buy these mixes to make granola bars. I would steal a bite or two from the batter before they were baked. One day, I got the bright idea to make it myself and the heck with baking, ate it all raw.

An hour later it all came up. Blech. And never again could eat chocolate chip granola bars. raw or baked.

I have been sick various times of course but never that exacting in the food item I had such as the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,480 posts, read 6,204,307 times
Reputation: 6959
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Well, I'm fresh off of a brutal 24 hours, in which I had the worst stomach flu that you can imagine. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I'm completely cleaned out

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that I either got the stomach flu from changing my daughter's diaper, or it's a case of food poisoning. The foods that I ate the other day that made my stomach feel queasy were divinity and a honey bread. Even if they are not the culprits, I can never eat them again!

Here's my "never again" list:

- Peanut Butter Chicken (after a horrible experience at a Chinese buffet)
- Divinity
- Honey Bread

Have you ever gotten sick from a food? Would you ever eat it again?
I've certainly been made ill from food poisoning (and it really sucks, doesn't it?), but I don't hold the recipe to blame. There are no foods that I've enjoyed that are off my list.

Now...it's been decades since I last drank Southern Comfort, and they'll be tossing snowballs in hell before I touch that stuff again --but that's another story, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,931,209 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I've certainly been made ill from food poisoning (and it really sucks, doesn't it?), but I don't hold the recipe to blame. There are no foods that I've enjoyed that are off my list.

Now...it's been decades since I last drank Southern Comfort, and they'll be tossing snowballs in hell before I touch that stuff again --but that's another story, isn't it?
Oh liquor? For me as a teen at a party that had grape flavored md 20/20. NEVER AGAIN. lol I forgot about that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,415 posts, read 12,154,360 times
Reputation: 16645
Btw, a young14 yr old neighbor got caught smoking so his dad
made him smoke 2 packs of cigarettes...never smoked again.
Never forgot that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,480 posts, read 6,204,307 times
Reputation: 6959
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Oh liquor? For me as a teen at a party that had grape flavored md 20/20. NEVER AGAIN. lol I forgot about that too.
After drinking that as teens, we naturally assumed that MD stood for Mad Dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,480 posts, read 6,204,307 times
Reputation: 6959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Btw, a young14 yr old neighbor got caught smoking so his dad
made him smoke 2 packs of cigarettes...never smoked again.
Never forgot that!
The only dirty habit I never even tried.

Take it from someone in health care: No substance on Earth has caused more ill health and broken hearts than tobacco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 AM
 
15,254 posts, read 16,842,706 times
Reputation: 25437
The last time I got sick that way was after eating a hamburger and fruit salad. It was 4 years ago and to this day the thought of a hamburger fills me with trepidation. No one else got sick although we all ate the same stuff, so I'm not even sure it was food poisoning, but still....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top