Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,565,356 times

Advertisements

When I was a young and single guy, the supermarket was one of my favorite places to meet women. You can learn a lot from a shopping cart, like whether you can both cook. A few minutes of conversation was enough to decide if we wanted to move on to a cup of coffee, and if either one of us wasn't interested we could just go back to shopping.

Not that I'm old and married, I still strike up conversations with strangers. Not long ago at Goodwill I pointed out a Presto Power Pop as the best microwave popper ever made to a woman about my own age. She used an air popper, but the conversation went on for half an hour, mostly about Medicare supplemental insurance, which was weighing on her mind. My wife used to manage a medical clinic, so I was aware of some resources for her. It was a very cordial conversation. She was a nice woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:15 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,713,073 times
Happens to me all the time. People will ask if I work at the store and I say no, but, they proceed to ask anyway. I'm of course happy to help if I can.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:36 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Do people ask you food questions when you shop?
All the time. I think it is very rare if I go grocery shopping and don't strike up a conversation about food or recipes. Sometimes I am the one asking…like the time I stopped everyone in the wine aisle and asked for the best wine to make shrimp scampi, or the time last summer when I needed to buy a watermelon and asked how to tell when they were the ripest. That started a conversation between about 6 people, lol.

Today I went grocery shopping at Wally world and I helped a man get a big bottle of juice off a shelf, spoke to three different people about the price of ground beef, talked with another man who is making spaghetti and meatballs for his wife on Christmas, talked with another older man who is a crossing guard at the elementary school and he gave me a recipe for peanut butter fudge and I told him how to make Buckeyes and he should pour melted chocolate over his peanut butter fudge. I think that was all

No wonder why it takes me so long to go grocery shopping, lol.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,942,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
What do you do when they ask you what time it is? Tell them how to make a watch?
Well now that depends on how they ask. If they ask me what time it is, I'll tell them what time it is. However, if they ask "do you know what time it is?", then I might just answer "yes" and leave it at that.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well now that depends on how they ask. If they ask me what time it is, I'll tell them what time it is. However, if they ask "do you know what time it is?", then I might just answer "yes" and leave it at that.

Hahahaha! It's best when you look at your watch before just saying "Yes" just to REALLY tick them off... or make them laugh. That's the true test of a person -- whether or not they laugh.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:03 PM

20,818 posts, read 28,136,000 times
Yes, from time to time. Mostly it's can you tell me where ... is or can you reach that for me or they see a particular item in my cart and ask how it is. I do that too, if I see an item I have not tried I'll ask another customer how it tastes. Sometimes I find myself giving out recipes to other shoppers LOL

Old 12-19-2014, 04:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
I'm a talker. I like to talk. I tell people that I like their hair style, that I like what they're wearing, etc... It's what I do.

When I moved from Montreal to Connecticut, I got a rude awakening. People in Connecticut are very reserved -- a bit lesser so in Massachusetts, where I moved afterward; but definitely in Connecticut, where they're known for not being open to conversation, for being reserved, for keeping to themselves.

Not a grocery store -- but whatever, I'm a talker -- but in Home Depot: My husband (now ex) and I were looking for kitchen tiles. Terracotta. After looking at a bazillion tiles, we had narrowed it down to two, one that he liked better, one that I did. But after looking at ALL THOSE TILES, neither of us were seeing straight, but we knew that we wanted the one that looked more orange than red. Right then, a woman was walking by, so I asked her, "Can I ask you to be the decision-maker here? Can you tell me which of these looks more orange to you?" I don't think she said anything, but the look that she gave me certainly put me in my place. Feh!

Here in Montreal, where French is the major language (and I no longer speak it), that's my big barrier -- I could end up talking to someone who doesn't understand me. But we always figure it out. But in Connecticut, it's the reservedness that was my barrier. Still, it didn't stop me. The woman in Home Depot was the worst apple in the barrel. Most people were happy (well, maybe not HAPPY!) to interact with me. It's not what they're used to in Connecticut, but I wore them down, one by one!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:21 PM

22,637 posts, read 6,386,751 times
Sometimes, but only about the location of something...do I know where the "whatever" is...
Usually it's fine but once in a while if you answer one question they follow you asking other
questions...

Old 12-19-2014, 04:28 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Hope this is the right forum.

Do people ask you food questions when you shop? This has happened to me several times.

For example, I was in the produce area once and a young man with a newborn in tow told me that his wife sent him shopping. On the list were "baking apples". He asked me what kind of apples he should get. I took the time to point them out.

Another time, a man asked me what type of cream he should buy for a recipe he was making. I explained the difference between heavy and light cream.

I have more stories that I can tell. Both men and women have approached me. Each time, I'm glad to take the time to help them.

When I tell others that this happens to me, they tell me that no one has ever asked them such questions.

Do any of you have similar stories to share?
I'm one of those people who never gets asked questions like that. Maybe you look like you could be one of those TV personality chefs.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:32 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm a talker. I like to talk. I tell people that I like their hair style, that I like what they're wearing, etc... It's what I do.

When I moved from Montreal to Connecticut, I got a rude awakening. People in Connecticut are very reserved -- a bit lesser so in Massachusetts, where I moved afterward; but definitely in Connecticut, where they're known for not being open to conversation, for being reserved, for keeping to themselves.

Not a grocery store -- but whatever, I'm a talker -- but in Home Depot: My husband (now ex) and I were looking for kitchen tiles. Terracotta. After looking at a bazillion tiles, we had narrowed it down to two, one that he liked better, one that I did. But after looking at ALL THOSE TILES, neither of us were seeing straight, but we knew that we wanted the one that looked more orange than red. Right then, a woman was walking by, so I asked her, "Can I ask you to be the decision-maker here? Can you tell me which of these looks more orange to you?" I don't think she said anything, but the look that she gave me certainly put me in my place. Feh!

Here in Montreal, where French is the major language (and I no longer speak it), that's my big barrier -- I could end up talking to someone who doesn't understand me. But we always figure it out. But in Connecticut, it's the reservedness that was my barrier. Still, it didn't stop me. The woman in Home Depot was the worst apple in the barrel. Most people were happy (well, maybe not HAPPY!) to interact with me. It's not what they're used to in Connecticut, but I wore them down, one by one!
I can relate to this! In the San Francisco Bay Area, this friendliness and chattiness is fairly common, or was, until the sudden influx some years ago (and ongoing) of a lot of technology workers from around the country and the world, watering down the local culture. I would have been delighted to help you make your decision. We need you by the Bay, to strengthen the flock of birds of your feather. Seattle, on the other hand, is a lot like what you experienced in CT. Friendliness gets no response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink