Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:43 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

As an adult, I'm not fussy at all. I'll try almost anything, and nearly always find something I can enjoy. I've eaten a lot of exotic meats and even bugs on my travels, as well as a HUGE variety of ethnic dishes.

HOWEVER, as a kid I was impossibly picky. I refused to eat most cooked foods. Including meat and eggs. My main source of protein as a kid came from steak tartare - raw hamburger mixed with salt, pepper and raw onion. She would make me milk shakes and sneak a raw egg into them. Chicken noodle soup, fried chicken, clams, some cold cuts and chinese food were acceptable. Occasionally, she could get me to eat chicken. Vegetables had to be raw, except for corn and peas. Even potatoes - unless they were french fries, were raw with onion salt. Bread was a no-go (except garlic bread!) and I would pick the insides out from the sandwich and leave the bread. On pizza nights, I picked off the toppings and the cheese, licked the sauce off the crust and left it behind. Pasta with butter and a little garlic powder, but nothing else.

I don't think I stopped eating this way until I was about ten or eleven. A real PITA and I don't know how she managed to not drown me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 09:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I don't ordinarily see myself as a picky eater, but it's true that I don't eat very much seafood. If a person wanted to mostly dine on fish, they'd probably think I was the pickiest eater in the world.

In general, though, I'll try nearly anything. It's just than in the case of most seafood, it ends up not going beyond the trying phase.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:55 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
No, not at all. There are a few things I'd prefer not to eat (certain shellfish, anything with anise), but I'll try anything.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Unfortunately I would say yes....I don't like anything even mildly spicy, I know it's good for you but it burns my
mouth and I don't like the taste.. I like bland foods with a little salt only.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Nope. I do prefer real, quality ingredients and I am not a fan of highly processed foods, but even then I have my vices. Damn you, Dorito, you siren of the chip aisle!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Unfortunately I would say yes....I don't like anything even mildly spicy, I know it's good for you but it burns my
mouth and I don't like the taste.. I like bland foods with a little salt only.
This is my mom.

She sometimes finds ketchup and BBQ sauce "too spicy."

She could live on stuff like oatmeal with butter and sugar, or plain toast.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Brussels Sprouts have to be cooked just right but other than that I'll eat about anything.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:30 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Yes, there are quite a few things I don't like and if they are included as an ingredient, then the entire dish is unappealing. That includes red peppers and chili peppers - I like hot foods like hot chinese mustard and wasabi so it's not the spiciness itself, it's the specific flavor of chili peppers. It makes it tough in a place where Mexican food is extremely popular and is routinely served at gatherings with the assumption everyone loves it.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I never used to be really fussy. I couldn't stand mushrooms or cinnamon added to savory dishes, but that was about it.

Now I can't eat most processed foods, can't eat food from a restaurant, can't eat anything that I haven't read all the ingredients of. I even have to make my own bread and tortillas. It's because of a couple of food allergies that I've developed, but it's really raising the standard of food coming out of my kitchen.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
As a kid, I turned my nose up to my mother's stuffed cabbages, now I'd give an eye tooth for her cabbages. I buy some at different deli but never like mom's. I use to make them but too much work. Some people make cabbage dishes by just layering cabbage, ground beef and tomatoe sauce and baking...ummm I have not done with for a while, maybe it's time.

I'm not fussy at all NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink