U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times

Advertisements

The one thing that I found it hardest to do without was a good sandwich.
Any of the recipes I found made a "bread" that is just too small or too crumbly. Nothing that would do the job
I've ended up using corn meal tortillas. They won't hold much weight but, with practice, produce a satisfying enough result.
Recently, I just broke down and paid the ridiculous price for a commercial gluten-free loaf of bread.
Eh! Not too bad but not very good, not good enough to keep paying that much for it when the tortilla flats are just as good, if not better.
Anybody come up with a better alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 03:54 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Gluten is what holds most breads and tortillas together, so it's not too surprising that your breads are crumbly.

Lately I've been experimenting with recipes using coconut flour. I haven't tried tortillas with it yet, but it has potential. You'd have to find a recipe that was designed to use it, because it absorbs liquids differently than regular flour.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:08 PM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Gluten is what holds most breads and tortillas together, so it's not too surprising that your breads are crumbly.

Lately I've been experimenting with recipes using coconut flour. I haven't tried tortillas with it yet, but it has potential. You'd have to find a recipe that was designed to use it, because it absorbs liquids differently than regular flour.
Ops, I did it again...didn't make it clear, I guess.
I buy the corn tortillas. They're no problem except they're thin and don't add much bulk to a sandwich nor can you load them up very much. Adding tomato, for instance, results in a sloppy lunch

Old 12-24-2014, 05:57 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
I can make a tasty gluten-free dinner roll, but a loaf of bread is difficult.

The issue is that a baked good without gluten comes apart when it gets wet. So, if you make a sandwich out of it, it falls apart.

There isn't much of a really good solution. If it is a meat or cheese sandwich, you can roll the filling and mayo into a leaf of romaine lettuce. You can get a good bacon and tomato "sandwich" that way.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:35 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
A couple of things ...

If you're looking for an everyday sandwich bread, I'm afraid you're going to be out of luck. It's all ridiculously expensive, and they're all very small (gluten provides stability, so without it, it's tough to make large loafs).
Because of the expense, sandwiches will likely become a once-in-a-while sort of thing for you. The brand I've found so far that most resembles traditional sandwich bread is Canyon Bakehouse, which can be found at Target Supermarkets (and isn't frozen!) I've found though that most commercial GF breads do best for sandwich use when toasted.

If you want to make your own, experiment with different GF flour blends. I've read online that Better Batter is one of the best brands, but again, it's ridiculously expensive. You can also research online how to make your own blends, but you'll be spending a lot on things like potato starch, rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, sorghum flour, xantham gum, etc.

Another thing you can do is to research your area to see if there are any small bakeries that specialize in GF breads and pastries. I just made some great french toast from a wonderful brioche that I bought from a tiny bakery that doesn't even have a store front. I learned about them at our farmer's market and liked their Facebook page. Each week they post what they will be making that week, and I can place an order and arrange to meet them to pick up my order. We have another bakery that isn't exclusively GF, but on Fridays they make a wide variety of GF breads and sweets. I can also place special orders with them as well.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
In my experience, the only decent sandwich bread is made with wheat starch (with gluten removed leaving at most 20 parts per million -legal limit) as naturally gluten free flours can't hold together in a loaf so well. Rolls tend to turn out a bit better but they will be smaller than normal rolls. Making carrot rolls (add in grated carrot to the recipe while reducing the liquid) makes it quite a bit better.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:31 AM

8,217 posts, read 12,805,062 times
My GF family members always toast their bread even for sandwiches - they say it's better that way.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:29 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My GF family members always toast their bread even for sandwiches - they say it's better that way.
Oh yes, definitely better toasted

Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
skip the carbs of bread , and just eat the meat of the sandwich

Old 12-28-2014, 04:35 PM

8,217 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
skip the carbs of bread , and just eat the meat of the sandwich
LOL I have to admit, I am not GF but I often order burgers without a bun because who wants valuable stomach space wasted on the bun? No bun = more room for more meat. Hmm, I'm pretty sure someone could make a crude joke out of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink