U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,123,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
That is... until it comes to salting something! I can never judge anymore if I have enough salt or not by just shaking the salt shaker
One thing I do when Iím out is I pour the salt in my hand and use the other hand to ďpinchĒ the amount to use. So I know how much Iím actually adding. Youíll find a spot for the leftover salt somewhere on the table.

I donít use a salt shaker at home, I use a salt dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
It is very easy to color salt. I used to do crafts with children and pictures with salt in different colors make a really good craft when they are sprinkled on glue.

Just add food coloring drops to your salt and dry. You will probably need to put a few grains of rice in the salt shaker, because the food coloring may make some of it stick together.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,138,912 times
We use Kosher salt in a covered dish (salt cellar) at home. It's not as salty and is great for cooking. Also, what size pinch of salt you need is easy to determine.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,595 times
KSW Colored Salts offers colored table salt in every color and is available to order online through email. they also donate money to different causes every month for their colored salt!! there website is [url=http://kswcoloredsalts.webs.com/]Home - KSW Colored Salt[/url]

Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,595 times
i actually got a few free samples from KSW Colored Salts that they sent to me for free in wisconsin which was nice. very cheap too...a few dollars for about 3 cups which is what I ended up ordering. i go blue and it works really well too on food.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,084,617 times
Skip the salt altogether.

I do. Lots of fresh black pepper instead. Yum.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Okay, okay... I'll admit... 'though begrudgingly... that I may be getting up there in age... and do wear my reading glasses to read... but other than that, I really don't need them.

That is... until it comes to salting something! I can never judge anymore if I have enough salt or not by just shaking the salt shaker! Because, you see, I can't see it when it's coming out! It's always too little or too much... nothing "just right" like Goldilocks found! And, I be darn if I'm putting on my glasses in a restaurant just to salt something 'cause I surely can't eat with them on.

Whew, there, I said it! 'Tis heck getting older! Now, pepper, I have no problem with, because it has color. So, I've concluded what is needed here is colored salt! I mean, they do make colored sugar, so why not?

Help!!! Anyone with me? Any ideas? And, what color shall it be? Any other food item you'd like to see changed?

I can get colord salt at my local market but I have never bought any because I just don't use salt much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink