Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

You may have a mild caffeine addiction - but the caffeine levels in a can of Pepsi are quite low - 38mg. An 8oz cup of Starbuck's has 180mg - so if you drink 4 cans per day, you are still getting less caffeine than one cup of strong coffee.

Addictions are very behavioral based. This means that someone who stops smoking not only misses the nicotine and the feeling it gives them but also misses the routine of getting up in the morning and having their first ciggie with a cup of coffee - its a habit.

You absolutely can break this habit.....

This is a good article by someone who struggled, but eventually succeeded in breaking a soda habit:

I Tried to Quit Diet Soda 4 Times. Here's What Finally Changed My Ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:37 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Unbelievable. It's only doable if you're serious. Your lifestyle is toxic and quite depraved. If you were serious you wouldn't be looking for advice here. You'd be looking for local addiction programs. So do it. Otherwise you'll be posting again in a year or two and you'll be 100 lbs overweight.
Depraved? He's not a heroine addict sleeping in a gutter. I was addicted to sugar and caffeine for years. I needed cola, coffee, doughnuts and other junk to survive. Why? I was anemic and had a sluggish thyroid. I find your post offensive.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I was a smoker and it took some serious effort to finally quit, but I did. It's been 10 years now. Just about the time I quit cigarettes, I developed a taste for Pepsi Max. I drank that for the whole time until a couple of months ago, when I decided to quit that and I started on Polar water.

Sure, I miss my Pepsi and my smokes. Probably always will. But I decided I wanted to feel better and did what I had to do to make that happen.

I applaud you for realizing that all that Pepsi is not contributing to a healthy life. Withdrawal from caffeine will have physical side-effects and be sure you are prepared to deal with that. Insist that you have only one Pepsi a day and that must be with a meal. For every Pepsi you cut out of your daily intake, put the money not spent in a piggy bank. When you do have your one Pepsi a day, savor it. Don't slug it down. Sip and really enjoy. In the meantime, drink water. Replacing all that HFCS with water will flush it out of your body. When you want a Pepsi, take a walk, chew a peppermint, brush your teeth.

Will it be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Only you can decide that. When you have adjusted to life without an overdose of Pepsi, congratulate yourself and realize that you are stronger than you thought when you first came here. That alone is worth the effort. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
Moreover Pepsi goes so well with other crappy foods.

Has anyone ever kicked Pepsi's habit to the curb? What worked? I would love to hear stories of success. Please tell me it's doable!

Thank you!!!
I suspect the rest of your diet is also in need of adjustment as it sounds like your diet comprises mostly of Meat/Cheese/bread and sugar. your addiction to Pepsi is an addiction that can be kicked, Some personal discipline is in order, lets hope you can accomplish your goals before the doctor diagnosis you with some real motivation to quit..

Old 12-31-2014, 04:25 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
I enjoy a Pepsi now and than. I enjoy soda now and than. Usually diet. I drank half a bottle of regular soda during Thanksgiving for the first time in I can't remember when the last time was and I was so amped up from the sugar high.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default add to that calcium loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I have a friend like you. She has even been to expensive clinics to try to overcome her dependence. She hasn't been able to, and she now has Type 2 diabetes.
particularly for females, drinking pop guarantees calcium loss. At Lions' Gate Hospital the doctor studying osteopurosis among the young basically stated that it's as bad, OR WORSE, than heroin. The Dr. deals with females under the age of 40 that are dealing with life threatening calcium loss.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Cut out sugar in your diet, reap massive rewards. Sweet drinks should be the first to go, including juice. Eat fruit if you want fruit, don't drink it.

I lost 10 lbs a few years back simply eliminating OJ, soda, Snapple, etc.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:18 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I dropped my sugar intake years ago and as I decreased it, I just craved less. Now, I seldom get a sugar craving. If I do, it's a small thing I'll eat. But, it's getting to the point of knowing you must stop feeding the tiger so to speak. Everyone gets to that point in different ways.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:26 PM

248 posts, read 340,873 times
The manufacturers put stuff in their food that is addictive; they know exactly what they're doing, and you're one of the ones susceptible to it. Now that you know the problem, STOP BUYING IT.

It really is that simple, and that difficult. So you're depressed and have cravings for a while? Man up!

Or kiss your health completely goodbye. Pepsi drinkers are notorious for having kidney disease and diabetes. Your choice.

Drink water and only water, with added lemon if you want (which is good for you). Talk about first world problems....

Old 01-01-2015, 06:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Try some of these ideas.=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...he+pepsi+habit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink