Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:59 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

I wish I could have 2000 calories a day. But I'd be huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Should obese or overweight people consume 2000 calories a day? Because it's too much...

Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a new doctor, a woman my own post-menstrual age, and I asked HOW do I lose the weight? She laughed and said, "salad and water".

Basically the same thing my doctor said...he too, is a little pudgy....said he lost 10 lbs by eating salad three times a day and only drinking water...sorry, no can do.

I am watching what I eat, cutting everything back, and, have lost 9 lbs, tho, I must admit it is boring as hell...if I like it, I don't eat it! Ain't life grand?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:43 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I have been using the MyFitnessPal calorie counter. There are other, similar apps out there. I know people always ssay that you should just write down everything that you eat and then look up the calories, but I work all day and have never found that practical. With the app I can just quickly enter what I ate and it tracks the calorie count for me for the day. It calculated how many calories a day I should eat to lose a pound a week, and following that is working!

I have another chain like Chipotle across the street from where I work. I would often go there for lunch, get a small bowl with the rice and beans, etc., but I'd get the combo with the tortilla chips and queso. Turns out the chips and queso are as many calories as the small bowl--that was an eye-opener. It was about an 1100-calorie lunch instead of a 550-calorie lunch.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Should obese or overweight people consume 2000 calories a day? Because it's too much...
Obese people, certainly morbidly obese people, are not eating 2,000 calories a day- even if they claim they are. They are eating double and triple that (oftentimes unaware) and that is the root of their problem.

Elnina- this is a very informative thread. Thanks for posting.

Also, I know a lot of people are not a fan of the FDA now requiring that calorie counts be put into menus, but I think it's a great idea. When I see calories posted, I often alter my ordering habits. There is one restaurant I frequent called Noodles and Co, and when I realized the noodle dish I was eating had almost 900 calories, I tried a different, similar one that had 600 calories. It was just as good, and now it's what I order whenever I go there.

Imagine if you walked into Cinnabon and saw that ridiculous calorie count.....you probably wouldn't order it.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
At my age, I just can't eat like I used to in my youth. Before anything goes into the shopping cart at the market, I read the label to ascertain the calories per serving and sugar content. A lot of things don't make it into the pantry.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Obese people, certainly morbidly obese people, are not eating 2,000 calories a day- even if they claim they are. They are eating double and triple that (oftentimes unaware) and that is the root of their problem.

Elnina- this is a very informative thread. Thanks for posting.

Also, I know a lot of people are not a fan of the FDA now requiring that calorie counts be put into menus, but I think it's a great idea. When I see calories posted, I often alter my ordering habits. There is one restaurant I frequent called Noodles and Co, and when I realized the noodle dish I was eating had almost 900 calories, I tried a different, similar one that had 600 calories. It was just as good, and now it's what I order whenever I go there.

Imagine if you walked into Cinnabon and saw that ridiculous calorie count.....you probably wouldn't order it.
The calorie apps are usually loaded with the calorie counts of what is available at the chains, too.

There is a deli near my job and an Au Bon Pain near my job. I would get oatmeal at one or the other in the morning to eat at my desk.

However, once I started checking the calorie counts, I stopped going to the deli. Why? Because they only offer one size oatmeal--a 16 ounce--and I can get a small, medium, or large at Au Bon Pain. If I'm eating oatmeal from the deli, it's twice the calories.

Stuff like that makes a difference.

Also, for lunch, Au Bon Pain has a grilled cheese sandwich that looks wonderful--but it's 850 calories. I'm not getting that one.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Basically the same thing my doctor said...he too, is a little pudgy....said he lost 10 lbs by eating salad three times a day and only drinking water...sorry, no can do.

I am watching what I eat, cutting everything back, and, have lost 9 lbs, tho, I must admit it is boring as hell...if I like it, I don't eat it! Ain't life grand?
No, none of us can live on salad and water, lol. I've lost about 7 pounds now.

I just have to remember to keep telling myself "don't eat for entertainment/because it tastes good. Eat to fuel the body ONLY."

I've also learned that when I feel hungry to eat things that you don't really want to eat because they won't be satisfying; an apple, for example. If I'm hungry, I'm thinking of something that will end the hunger pains, not something light like an apple, but I've found that an apple will kill the hunger pains long enough to make a better a choice for a real meal.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
At my age, I just can't eat like I used to in my youth. Before anything goes into the shopping cart at the market, I read the label to ascertain the calories per serving and sugar content. A lot of things don't make it into the pantry.
Same here. Also, when it comes to things I can't trust myself with, I just won't allow them in the house. For example, the really good ice creams can be 250 - 300 a "serving", which of course is not a serving that any real live person would consider a serving. It's usually half a cup for ice cream. Yeah, right. Ever hear of anyone eating just half a cup of ice cream? They do those types of labels to give people a false sense of eating less than they actually will.

So, I look at the total package. A pint of good ice cream might therefore be 1000 calories. I know I can and probably will eat that entire pint in one night if it's in the house, so I'm not going to buy it in the first place.

I bought some frozen yogurt instead. That's 110 calories a serving, also a silly half-cup measure, and there are 12 "servings" on the label. That's 1320 for the entire half-gallon container. However, it's FROZEN FRIGGIN' YOGURT, not real ice cream, and I know I'm never going to eat the entire box of that in one night. I might eat two "servings", which would be 220. Better than 1000.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
1200 calories a day is pretty much maintenance for me. If I ate 2000 calories every day I would weigh 300 pounds after a while! I used the WW method of portion control and calorie-watching to lose 50 pounds, many years ago. Only way I can keep it off is to watch what I eat and work out like a banshee. People just don't realize how many calories they are consuming - especially when eating out. People should be presented with a "here is how much exercise you have to do, to burn off that dish you want to eat". Maybe then it would have more impact, and a greater effect.

How Much Exercise Does It Take to Burn Off Your Favorite Holiday Dishes? | The Daily Meal

Fast Food Facts: How Long Does It Take to Burn Off Your Meal? | Reader's Digest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink