Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:39 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

I can't think of one section of the grocery store I don't purchase from at one time or another.

Sometimes I need baby oil. Sometimes I'm too lazy to make a second trip to Walgreen's to pick up a bag of cough drops or a bottle of aspirin. Sometimes I just feel like eating Jell-O or Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Sometimes I don't have time to stop at Target for a light bulb. Sometimes the cosmetics I need are on sale at the grocery, but not elsewhere.

That's the beauty of modern supermarkets - everything is pretty much right there. Sometimes convenience trumps everything else.

Pennsylvania grocery stores cannot sell booze, so I do have to make extra stops for that - one place for beer, another for wine and liquor. Some groceries do have beer, but it's a separate section of the store with a separate checkout. Don't get me started ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The wife sent me to that no-man's land. I was amazed at the number of words I had to match-up on the package to get the right thing.
LOL. You, sir, are a good sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:55 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
We generally wander around pretty much the whole store, but our grocery is pretty small so it doesn't take all that long. Each aisle has multiple things on it, so usually there is at least one item on each aisle that we may buy at one time or another.

We don't buy much from the pet food aisle at the grocery since we get critter feed at the feed store.

We don't buy much from the household repair items aisle since we get that from the hardware across from the grocery.

Sometimes we get marked down meats, but the butcher shop or our farmer friend usually has better meats for less.

We don't get much from the candy aisle because of too much sugar, but we do get a lot of canned nuts from the next aisle over.

We usually skip the beer/wine section, but sodas are occasionally bought.

We usually get our vegetables from the farmer's market or the Filipino store or the yard, but we do buy a lot of discounted salads.

We get soy milk, ice cream, discounted salads and marked down items mostly. Should get some flour, though. Today I was making pasta and didn't have any so had to resort to grinding grain for flour. It's much easier to make pasta if you start with flour.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:00 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,807 times
Meat sections.. because I'm a pescatarian. Almost vegetarian, occasionally eat shrimp or fish. No other animal.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
The wife sent me to that no-man's land. I was amazed at the number of words I had to match-up on the package to get the right thing.
I chuckled when I saw your post. I sent my hubby to that section once. OMG! The amount of phone calls I got from him, literally every ten seconds, and all started with "ok, I have xx in front of me and it says xxx, zzz color, is this the one?". I think he did it to me on purpose because the calls annoyed me so much that I never sent him back there ever since.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I chuckled when I saw your post. I sent my hubby to that section once. OMG! The amount of phone calls I got from him, literally every ten seconds, and all started with "ok, I have xx in front of me and it says xxx, zzz color, is this the one?". I think he did it to me on purpose because the calls annoyed me so much that I never sent him back there ever since.
I think it's comparable to sending my wife to Sears to buy a screwdriver. I would expect a series of questions when she arrived at the store...

"The flat tip or that x thingie?"
"How big of an x thingie?"
"Which brand?"
"What color handle?"
"The short one or the long one?"
"This one says "ratcheting handle" - you want a ratcheting handle?"

"I'm just gonna buy this box that has a bunch of different ones..."

Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
"...okay, last word is "wings"... let's see... that thing looks like it has wings, but it doesn't have the word on the package..."
Quote:

I'm cracking up!! LOL...my husband refuses to get them for me. He doesn't understand how there's an entire side of an aisle dedicated to just THAT.

I think your wife and I use the same product

Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Do you always go the same sections and buy the same kinds of food in a supermarket/grocery store? Which sections in the market do you never go to get anything? (Ok, I realize that if you never go then you may not be able to name them...)

I don't go to the baby section or the aisle that has all random stuff in it like hardwares, toys or out of season clearance items.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Seafood section-the odor makes me avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink