Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:37 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think people would cook more often if someone else did the dishes. I love to cook, but I absolutely hate the endless washing.
That is why the gods invented dishwashers!

Dishwashing was my chore when I was growing up. We hated it so much, my sister and I kept a schedule inside a cabinet door. No way would we do more than necessary.

So now I use the dishwasher daily. I have a big trough sink that makes washing the big pans much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Weird.

I have never turned down food someone else has made for me. Nor has anyone ever refused the food I have made.

The only reason I don't cook more is the prep and cleaning.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times
I love to experiment with cooking. Grow my own tomatoes, can, bake bread, condiments, even made tamales all by myself and used a pig head.

I don't care if people don't want to eat or like what I cook. I dont even wAnt to eat it afterwards sometimes. Don't you sometimes just get full by the tasting and are over it by the time it's done? But I enjoy the process. Might not make that dish again, but it was interesting while I did it.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think people would cook more often if someone else did the dishes. I love to cook, but I absolutely hate the endless washing.
If I cook, SO does the dishes. And if he cooks, I do the dishes.

We live in a rental with no dishwasher. It didn't seem like a big deal when we were looking at places, but never again will I live without a dishwasher.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,594,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Nobody in my family complains (they know better) but they tell me if something was not to their liking in subtle ways- leaving much on the plate, answering "not really" if i ask if they would like me to fix this again, but I've learned DH is more and more sensitive to pepper, garlic and won't touch green, or any color peppers at all. I found the following article very interesting. Does any member of your family complain?

Unearthed: How to get people to cook more? Get eaters to complain less. - The Washington Post
OMG here we go with the "re-search" again!

I don't like to cook at all, but that doesn't mean I don't. I make what we have at any given time, and that's that. We're definitely NOT gourmet people, and eat very simple basic things.

My father would not season the food for us. Out of common sense, because I too don't like garlic, onions and all those things that leave an after taste, plus spicy foods. I didn't have to complain about it though.

In my house we have picky eaters, so I always have to make something for everyone. I don't buy ready made foods, nor eat out.

No re-search needed I can tell you why people don't cook at home more often: because people in America unlike Europe, and other countries, people come home TOO LATE in the evening to WANT to start cooking fancy meals. After spending countless hours working for someone else for mere wages/benefits, and having to deal with insane traffic on the way home on pastures (cough: burbs), people are too tired to want to start being creative and considerate about what they eat. Simple as that. They eat crap in a hurry for lunch, so there is really no time to plan for better meals, better food here costs an arm and a leg(Whole Foods etc), so people don't really have ample choices when it comes to a better meal at home. Not to mention how some families don't even gather home at the same time.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:44 AM

573 posts, read 582,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
This. I know before I even get started that my teenager will complain. She is getting better *BUT* I've had enough of her moaning "gross" for a lifetime. One time, at dinner she "chopped" me based on presentation. I said, "Woohoo, no more cooking for me!" and let her cook AND wash the dishes the next day.
I laughed very hard at this

I myself feel like I have an eating disorder because of how selective my taste buds are. My fiancee can eat literally almost anything in the world(had indigenous food in Africa and throughout Europe), but I am cursed with being more picky than the average person. It really is a strain on our relationship, as I try to explain to her I can't help what I like and don't like. I have tried to force myself to eat certain foods to make people happy but usually end up vomiting when eating things like corn, or lima beans, or any salad dressing, or mayonnaise. I tell her all the time if a genie gave me three wishes, the first one would be a palate that let me eat everything. I truly believe that is the biggest gift a person can have. I used to avoid social gatherings because there are always disgusting cold potato salads, or some other horrible large gathering dish you are expected to eat. It is never chicken fingers or regular spaghetti.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OMG here we go with the "re-search" again!

I don't like to cook at all, but that doesn't mean I don't. I make what we have at any given time, and that's that. We're definitely NOT gourmet people, and eat very simple basic things.

My father would not season the food for us. Out of common sense, because I too don't like garlic, onions and all those things that leave an after taste, plus spicy foods. I didn't have to complain about it though.

In my house we have picky eaters, so I always have to make something for everyone. I don't buy ready made foods, nor eat out.

No re-search needed I can tell you why people don't cook at home more often: because people in America unlike Europe, and other countries, people come home TOO LATE in the evening to WANT to start cooking fancy meals. After spending countless hours working for someone else for mere wages/benefits, and having to deal with insane traffic on the way home on pastures (cough: burbs), people are too tired to want to start being creative and considerate about what they eat. Simple as that. They eat crap in a hurry for lunch, so there is really no time to plan for better meals, better food here costs an arm and a leg(Whole Foods etc), so people don't really have ample choices when it comes to a better meal at home. Not to mention how some families don't even gather home at the same time.
I would imagine that people who dont like to cook, don't like to cook, regardless of whether they are American or European. Even people who do enjoy cooking tire of everyday cooking - I'd venture to guess that most eat simply during the week, saving labor intensive meals for holidays, special occasions or at least weekends.

Have you been introduced to Syracusa? You might enjoy each other's company.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
Here is a view that I have not read. I can only assume this is rare:

There is never any complaints in my house and I love to cook! Much rather cook my own food than eat out which I rarely do anymore.

I have not cooked for anyone else but myself in 14 years! Kind of wish it wasn't that way but it is.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
Wise advice from the Golden Voice of the Great Southwest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 AM

334 posts, read 583,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Nobody in my family complains (they know better) but they tell me if something was not to their liking in subtle ways- leaving much on the plate, answering "not really" if i ask if they would like me to fix this again, but I've learned DH is more and more sensitive to pepper, garlic and won't touch green, or any color peppers at all. I found the following article very interesting. Does any member of your family complain?

Unearthed: How to get people to cook more? Get eaters to complain less. - The Washington Post
Does any member NOT complain? LOL.

Solution:
Stopped cooking for them. Cook for myself. They can have some, or not have some. Sometimes I just make enough for my serving. They can cook/assemble another serving if they want - the food is there.

Result: THEY STOPPED COMPLAINING. I stopped stressing and being mad. Kind of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink