Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:04 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Advertisements

Never had them, but I always liked the commercials for Post Crispy Critters.

THE ONE AND ONLY CEREAL THAT COMES IN THE SHAPE OF ANIMALS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love Weetabix.

British kids are Weetabix kids.

Weet-Bix and Weetabix were both invented by an Aussie.
My doctor ruined it.

Apparently Weetbix is no good for cholesterol.

Now Im supposed to have porridge. I feel so ripped off, somehow....

Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
When I was a kid my mom would just buy us cheerios, chex and things like that so my first experiences with the really sugary ones was after I left home in my late teens. Now my wife buys our kids fruit loops and coco krispies, etc... Sometimes I feel like I should urge her not to but I don't because I secretly like to eat them myself. Most mornings I cook myself eggs, etc... anyways so a bowl of sweetened cereal is still sort of a treat.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My family never bought any "Sugar" cereals. Rolled oats for us Scottish Canadians!
How was it cooked - just with water? Any flavorings, salt, butter, or sweeteners?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Yummy, but basically just junk food.

I cannot remember the last time I ate cereal.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:46 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Just for the record, during my weekly trip to the market, this thread popped into my head. I was craving cereal so badly and of course, once in the aisle I was tempted to throw all of my favorites into the cart. Since I'm rebounding from Christmas sweets I decided to hold off, but next week I'm planning to get the little mini cereal boxes so I can enjoy all the different flavors without over indulging. I hope those still exist!

Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Just for the record, during my weekly trip to the market, this thread popped into my head. I was craving cereal so badly and of course, once in the aisle I was tempted to throw all of my favorites into the cart. Since I'm rebounding from Christmas sweets I decided to hold off, but next week I'm planning to get the little mini cereal boxes so I can enjoy all the different flavors without over indulging. I hope those still exist!
They do, but now they are little bowls instead of boxes. Remember how they wanted you to convert the little box into a bowl? Now you just peel the top off the bowl and pour milk in.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Not as an adult, but I did love Lucky Charms as a kid. My kids have never eaten box cereal. We buy granola from the bulk bins at Whole Foods occasionally, but we're much more likely to have bagels w/ lox or peanut butter toast. My latest breakfast obsession is oatmeal w/ blueberries. I think it must be the cold weather.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:17 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
After reading the ingredients label of the typical kids cereal you might think twice.
This one is from Froot Loops. Chock full of artificial flavoring and coloring, chemical preservatives and additives. Most of this stuff sounds like it was created in
Frankensteins laboratory. Doesn't sound very appetizing and something I would not feed my kids.

Quote:
Froot Loops ingredients
Sugar, Corn Flour, Wheat Flour, Whole Oat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (One or More of: Coconut, Cottonseed, and Soybean) (Less than 0.5 g Trans Fat Per Serving), Salt, Sodium Ascorbate and Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Reduced Iron, Natural Orange, Lemon, Cherry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Lime, and Other Natural Flavors, Red No. 40, Blue No. 2, Yellow No. 6, Zinc Oxide, Niacinamide, Turmeric Color, Blue No. 1, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Palmitate, Annatto Color, BHT (Preservative), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.

Froot Loops is NOT a “Smart Choice” [Inside the Label] | Fooducate
Notice the first ingredient listed is sugar. Froot Loops is 41% sugar by weight.
You might as well be eating candy for beeakfast.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
After reading the ingredients label of the typical kids cereal you might think twice.
This one is from Froot Loops. Chock full of artificial flavoring and coloring, chemical preservatives and additives. Most of this stuff sounds like it was created in
Frankensteins laboratory. Doesn't sound very appetizing and something I would not feed my kids.

Notice the first ingredient listed is sugar. Froot Loops is 41% sugar by weight.
You might as well be eating candy for beeakfast.
In that case, what say I skip the Froot Loops and have Three Musketeers bar?

Growing up, we only had a couple of choices - corn flakes, shredded wheat, or oatmeal. For a change of pace, sometimes Cream of Wheat.

When I was raising my boys, it was pretty much corn flakes, Rice Krispies, Cheerios. Once in a while, I'd let them pick a box of something super-sweet and strangely, usually ended up throwing out half of it. I once tasted one of those marshmallow things in Lucky Charms and never felt the urge to do it again!

My personal fave of sweet cereals is Frosted Flakes, but my purchases are few and far between. I do like Special K Cinnamon Pecan and usually mix it into my yoghurt. Or oatmeal and toast when I'm feeling not quite tip-top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink