U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:36 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,288,282 times

Advertisements

Yea I always put in a dash of milk.

I'll put crème fraiche in my omelets but never tried it in scrambled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:20 PM

32,548 posts, read 40,869,029 times
I bet a bit of pesto stirred in would be good, with some fresh grated parm on top.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM

3,093 posts, read 3,144,616 times
Try pea shoots. Works well with Parm. Add the pea shoots at the last minute and let them wilt.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 AM

23,464 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Your picture is an omelet, not scrambled eggs.
Technically it's a Torta... The egg mixture was flipped over like a pancake. I have only eaten scrambled eggs in the Army. I'm sure the Original Poster can adapt...

Old 01-10-2015, 04:06 PM

6,485 posts, read 11,221,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Technically it's a Torta... The egg mixture was flipped over like a pancake. I have only eaten scrambled eggs in the Army. I'm sure the Original Poster can adapt...
She can! What you call it, it looked very tasty!

Thanks again for all the great suggestions! Today I added yellow onion and some cheddar cheese and it was very yummy. I hope others find this thread helpful in the future, too!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:06 PM

8,759 posts, read 9,593,664 times
I've tried numerous things. Some are definitely flavor enhancements.

First, when you mix the eggs add a tiny amount of anchovy paste or, even better, anchovy oil. You won't taste it consciously; its purpose is to develop umami. The next group of additions may be added singly or in combination as you prefer. I only use free range whole eggs and high quality butter. Occasionally, I do cook the eggs in bacon fat.

Stir in a spoonful of mayo a few seconds before serving. This is an extremely simple and worthwhile addition.

Mix a small amount of very thinly sliced salami into the egg mixture before cooking.

Drop sufficient guacamole, salsa, and sour cream over the scrambled eggs a minute before serving. Each one should cover 1/3 of the eggs. Guacamole and egg is a very nice combination. Lift carefully to keep the dish intact on your plate.

Stir a few finely chopped anchovies into the egg mixture.

Should you have any asparagus in hollandaise sauce, add some when the eggs are hot on your plate.

Leftover shrimp or lobster are great. Mix them into the egg mixture.

When the eggs are almost cooked mix in a knob of butter and stir. You'll have scrambled eggs as they are prepared in France.

Use heated plates for your eggs. That way you can let them rest for two or three minutes before you eat them. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I often have scrambled eggs over Bay's English Muffins. They turn it into a real meal.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:51 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,149,861 times
Onions, garam masala, and green chilies sauteed in oil with cumin & mustard.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 PM

23,464 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Today I added yellow onion and some cheddar cheese and it was very yummy. I hope others find this thread helpful in the future, too!
Try Olive oil if you are not using that.
Yes, White, Yellow or Spanish Onions. I don't know where the purple ones came from.
Cheddar Cheese, yes, good choice.
And if you like tomatoes, use/try Roma Tomatoes...

Sorry, I've been cooking 40+ years, use to bus, wash and cook in some hotels on Miami Beach.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:46 PM

13,262 posts, read 33,581,629 times
Some of my favorite varieties:

1. Swiss cheese and a dash of black pepper.
2. Sauteed thinly sliced shallots and mushrooms with sharp cheddar cheese.
3. Au natural, with a dozen slices of bacon on the side
4. #2 but add sauteed quartered cherry tomatoes.

I usually make omelets, but if I miss the flip I chop it all up and scramble it.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 PM

41 posts, read 49,331 times
Step 1...if you're not cooking with salt, you're doing it wrong. Add a pinch of kosher salt to the skillet a few seconds after you add the eggs, and stir like normal. You'll notice a difference the first try.

Step 2...what doesn't go well with eggs? Any veggies you like, any meats you like, any spices you like...try it! And cheese, all the cheese...

Step 3...luxurious ingredients make breakfast more exciting. Smoked salmon on a bagel, maybe crab or lobster, caviar, truffle oil. Definitely truffle oil...trust me on that one. You only eat breakfast once, (a day) right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink