U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:26 PM

6,485 posts, read 11,221,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
She can! What you call it, it looked very tasty!
lol, oops, that was supposed to be "WHATEVER you call it" -- I must have been channeling some '70s TV show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pocket View Post
Step 1...if you're not cooking with salt, you're doing it wrong. Add a pinch of kosher salt to the skillet a few seconds after you add the eggs, and stir like normal. You'll notice a difference the first try.
I almost never cook anything with salt, because when I HAVE, I have not noticed any difference in taste, quality, etc. That includes scrambled eggs. (Maybe my palate is simply not discerning enough!) What exactly is the pinch of salt doing? (Might seem like a silly question, but again, when I've cooked with salt in the past I have not noticed a difference in taste or anything else -- that was why I stopped adding it. So what does the salt DO for the dish?)

===========

I actually started a list of suggestions that is now on my refrigerator! So many great ideas! I have tried to rep everyone but will try again tomorrow -- I keep getting the "you have given too many reps in the past 24 hours" message!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 PM

35,124 posts, read 36,237,162 times
Quote:
Hi all, and happy 2015 to everyone! I am trying to eat more protein at breakfast, as opposed to my usual low-fat and fat-free muffins (I typically bake several different kinds and freeze them, but even I get sick of them sometimes!). My go-to breakfast is scrambled eggs or egg whites (or half and half), plus 1-2 slices of toast (I LOVE the blueberry bread that they sell at my local Target) and a banana or other fruit ... plus coffee of course! Anyway, so far I have tried my scrambled eggs with different kinds of cheese (can't really taste the cheese, which surprises me -- we used to get scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast at I-House in Berkeley and I could always taste the cheese, yum!); bacon bits; tiny pieces of cut-up ham; tiny pieces of cut-up steak; tiny pieces of red onions (was surprised at how much I liked this!); and I think that's all. (Oh, I didn't try these all at the same time, lol!)

I was thinking of trying avocado (love love love it) but I don't know when I would add it?

Oh, for breakfast I'm not too worried about calories as I like to get more of calories/fat early in the day rather than later. Just a habit.

So, what do YOU put in your scrambled eggs? (And FYI, when I start a thread, I am very generous with reps to all helpful replies!! )

Just this morning I fixed Mr. CSD an omelet instead of scrambled eggs and it had shredded cheese inside and salsa on the top.
When I fix him scrambled eggs I will add shredded cheese, salsa, mushrooms, ham, bacon, chicken, turkey and pretty much whatever I can find in the fridge that is either leftover or already cut and ready to use.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 PM

41 posts, read 49,331 times
Quote:
What exactly is the pinch of salt doing?
Salt make everything taste more like itself...do you add the salt to your chocolate chip cookie recipe? Do you wonder why its there in the first place?

Salt 101: Alton Brown and the Power of Salt | The Kitchn

^^He has an hour long show about salt as a part of his "Good Eats" series.

Salt and acid are 2 things that restaurants know how to use better than home cooks...experience and training help...and that's what makes their food taste better. But I'm talking about real restaurants, not mass produced chains that taste the same from coast to coast. But i digress...go buy a box of kosher salt, and use it liberally...way more than you would "shake" in to a recipe from the shaker on the counter. You'll see that everything tastes more "better" with a generous pinch.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 PM

26,302 posts, read 27,085,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pocket View Post
Salt make everything taste more like itself...do you add the salt to your chocolate chip cookie recipe? Do you wonder why its there in the first place?

Salt 101: Alton Brown and the Power of Salt | The Kitchn

^^He has an hour long show about salt as a part of his "Good Eats" series.

Salt and acid are 2 things that restaurants know how to use better than home cooks...experience and training help...and that's what makes their food taste better. But I'm talking about real restaurants, not mass produced chains that taste the same from coast to coast. But i digress...go buy a box of kosher salt, and use it liberally...way more than you would "shake" in to a recipe from the shaker on the counter. You'll see that everything tastes more "better" with a generous pinch.
You need salt in cookies too.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 AM

4,012 posts, read 2,654,121 times
Quote:
So, what do YOU put in your scrambled eggs? (And FYI, when I start a thread, I am very generous with reps to all helpful replies!! )
I put a little bit of table salt and plenty of black pepper, once the eggs are in the pan.

The secret to delicious eggs is not to get them from a store, but to get fresh eggs from a farm - or better yet, from your own hens. The difference in flavor is very noticeable.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 AM

17 posts, read 11,151 times
Salt brings out the flavor in many foods, however too much salt overpowers the food. That's why u will see "salt and pepper to taste" some people need more or less depending in their tastes

Eggs are a great foundation to a plethora of recipes. U want to add more protein, how about chopped up pieces of rotisserie chicken? Fried eggplant is good too with some marinara sauce.

Eggs and chopped up ham. Eggs with sharp cheddar cheese is so good.

Eggs in purgatory is one of my favorite dishes. Google the recipe. Its made with onions garlic bacon egg and served over rice or potatoes.

Another favorite : eggs with chopped up sausages, for breakfast, choose maple sausage, wanting a more dinner dish? Use sweet Italian sausages.

Fry up some onions and sweet bell peppers in olive oil. Salt them and then use them with eggs. That's my ultimate favorite and it's super delicious!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:02 AM

6,318 posts, read 6,923,483 times
I'm getting hungry.

I don't have anything new to add as to ingredients. I'll use whatever I happen to have in the fridge--or whatever I've pulled from the garden. Favorites include ham, cheese, onions, broccoli, red and green bell peppers, tomatoes, etc. I almost always include cheese, often cheddar. When I cube the cheese, I mix it in with the eggs about half-way through the cooking so that it melts to an appropriate consistency and doesn't disappear. When I use shredded cheese (which I prefer, partly because it's easier ), I'll wait and sprinkle the cheese on the eggs when they are nearly done cooking. I throw in a teaspoon full of water inside the side of the pan and cover it. The steam quickly melts the cheese before the eggs cook too much more. That helps to retain the cheese's flavor--which is often lost if the cheese is simply cooked along with the eggs.

In-season sliced tomatoes go on top...and a splash of salsa for more tang. Oh, and chopped onions are either sauteed ahead of time (makes 'em milder) or just thrown in with the eggs.

Well, gotta run. My fryin' pan is calling me. Nine a.m. here, and it's time for a Sunday breakfast!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 AM
gg

16,393 posts, read 16,523,885 times
If you are using just the whites, I recommend adding the yokes. That would be my first step. Certainly you can add a lot of things to eggs. I love salsa verde or hatch chili salsa from Trader Joes. LOVE both on eggs depending on how spicy I am in the mood for.

Enjoy!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 8,959,596 times
A few faves:

Chopped fresh spinach and feta cheese.

Diced country ham with sharp cheddar cheese.

Sliced mushrooms and asiago.

Crispy potatoes and crispy slices of Spanish Chorizo with onion.

But most days we make it plain with whatever cheese we have in the drawer.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:23 AM

340 posts, read 929,987 times
Taquitos; Pastry; Fresh orange juice; Hot coffee
Morning, Noon and Nighttime too…mmm mmm Good!

Potato (or hash browns)
Sausage (Jimmy Dean’s Hot/Owen’s Hot)
Rotel, original (I don’t like my palate to catch fire but I do like a little heat.)
Eggs (soft-scrambled)
Tortilla (warmed)

Slice up a potato and fry (crispy on the outside); set aside
Fry up sausage, separating into small pieces (1/4 of the roll; freeze the rest); Combine with potato mixture and set aside*
Preheat burner for tortilla (I prefer 1 side lightly buttered) and warm it up on both sides
Soft scramble the eggs (w/salt & pepper) making only enough for what you will be having that day; add Rotel to taste*
Combine potato mixture into eggs; fold into tortilla and roll it on up; then devour.

Perfect for road trips too as they stay really warm when wrapped in aluminum foil.

* The potato/sausage mixture should be enough for about 6 taquitos so gauge the amount you will use that day on your individual preference; leftover will last several days in refrigerator and can also be frozen. Always use fresh eggs if you decide to have more later; otherwise, the eggs will become too hard when reheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink