Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
We have something similar, but with a different name: pizza alla diavola ("devil pizza")

http://www.menupizza.it/cmsportal/co...1332326242.jpg

it is a pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella and spicy salame. However not everyone likes it, because it is very spicy.
Would you agree that generally speaking, American pizza tastes better than Italian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Green olives.
People put green olives on a pizza?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:34 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
pineapples. who's genius idea was it to put pineapple on a pizza, and why do so many people like it?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:26 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Would you agree that generally speaking, American pizza tastes better than Italian?
I've never had a pizza outside Italy, so I can't tell objectively which one is better.
However, generally speaking, the quality of food in Italy is one of the few points that makes the most of us proud to be Italian. About pizza, this becomes extremely evident in Naples, where a lot of people call pizza only the "pizza margherita" (tomato sauce+mozzarella+basil+ olive oil) and the "marinara" (tomato sauce + garlic + oregano + olive oil). They are also really severe about all the preparation of the dough, the thinness of the pizza, the oven (that must be a wood oven), the cooking times and so on. In practice a lot of foods that you call "pizza" would neither be recognized as pizza by a lot of us. In practice, even if the most of us have never tried the US pizzas, we are tendentiously really suspicious toward it.
So, in conclusion, it would be really difficult for you to find someone in Italy that would support your statement.

About the napolitan pizza philosophy, I've found this statement that is written in the entrance of one of the historical pizzerie in Naples

«Perciò nun' è cercate
sti pizze complicate
ca fanno male 'a sacca
e 'o stommaco patì... »

that means

«and so don't look for
those complicated pizzas
that hurt your wallet
and cause pain to your stomach...»

As you can see, generally speaking we are not so opened toward new versions of foods that we consider traditional.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM

487 posts, read 748,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
People put green olives on a pizza?
Have you never seen that on a menu? My husband loves,them; I don't even like to pick them off because I can still taste them. He is the same way with cucumbers on a salad. He says he can still taste that they had been there.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Hmmm. Not a huge fan of American pizza, because this country seems to have a love affair with soggy crusts, excessively salty meats, and copious amounts of greasy cheese. None of those appeal. I'm yours forever, though, if you show up with a thin, crispy, pizza margherita.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-25-2015 at 10:43 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 09:17 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hmmm. Not a huge fan of American pizza, because this country seems to have a love affair with soggy crusts, excessively salty meats, and copious amounts of greasy cheese. None of those appeal. I'm yours forever, though, if you show up with a thin, crispy, pizza margherita.
Not so at all! We are a crispy pizza fans here too. I think there are a lot of troubles making a decent crisp crust pizza, so you may very we'll have had a lot of soggy ones, but we don't like them any better than you do.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Dead fish and fruit. Not a fan of "new age" or designer pizzas either.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Dead fish and fruit. Not a fan of "new age" or designer pizzas either.
Would you prefer your anchovies alive?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Would you prefer your anchovies alive?
Dead. Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink