Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times

Advertisements

Almost all the weird meat and innards things people mentioned up thread, although I do love braunsweiger on toasted rye with butter (I know!!) a couple of times a year.

But the thing that most shocked me was once I went to my brother's to pick up my 10 yr old niece for an outing and before we left, my SIL handed her one of those frozen pb & j sandwiches with the crust cut off. How long does it take to whip out a pbj and j sandwich, a minute? My SIL is a nurse and my brother is well educated too. I know they're super busy, but holy cow! It's funny, before they had kids, they were the type to say they'd never feed their kids stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Hog's head cheese and Moxie soda. There is also an Icelandic dish, called HrĂștspungar that will surely make you wonder.

And if I were to go by just the smell of it, beer.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Fruitcake. Who still eats it OR gives it away as presents?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Almost all the weird meat and innards things people mentioned up thread, although I do love braunsweiger on toasted rye with butter (I know!!) a couple of times a year.

But the thing that most shocked me was once I went to my brother's to pick up my 10 yr old niece for an outing and before we left, my SIL handed her one of those frozen pb & j sandwiches with the crust cut off. How long does it take to whip out a pbj and j sandwich, a minute? My SIL is a nurse and my brother is well educated too. I know they're super busy, but holy cow! It's funny, before they had kids, they were the type to say they'd never feed their kids stuff like that.
Other than the cost.....what is the difference? It's still Smuckers jelly and pb and bread.....no more unhealthy. I don't get how they are more convenient...but it's not a healthy food issue.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Other than the cost.....what is the difference? It's still Smuckers jelly and pb and bread.....no more unhealthy. I don't get how they are more convenient...but it's not a healthy food issue.
Agreed.

If one were actually taking health into account, as I do when it comes to that, one would try to find PB and Jelly jars with the least amounts of preservatives possible, and devoid of any high fructose corn syrup and the like.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I buy these. It's just easier for taking to the beach or on long car trips.
Somewhere back in the thread someone mentioned the high end cheeses. I buy those too. Great cheese is my obsession.

But who buys those things like pancake mix in a whipped cream type squirt can? Oh wait that would be my husband.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:18 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Handing frozen sandwiches to kids for their lunch is evil. They turn into mush by lunchtime and are really, really nasty. My mom used to get some sort of canned meat, it wasn't even name brand like Spam, mix it in the blender with some sort of sweet pickles or pickle relish and use it to make sandwiches. She would spread out loaves of soft white bread on the table - usually the stuff on sale so it wasn't even fresh to start with - then smear the bread slices liberally with Miracle Whip. Then she'd smear some of that revolting pink meat slush with green specks in it over the top of the Miracle Whip, slap another piece of nasty Styrofoam white bread on top and then freeze them. By lunchtime you had a baggie of nasty pink slush surrounded by soggy white stuff. All the kids in my family learned to cook at a very early age in sheer self defense.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 AM

31 posts, read 29,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
The pickled eggs in jars in the refrigerated section. They look like a science fair exhibit.
Lol... they actually dont taste that bad. If you pickle them yourself or eat them in a salad, they are good. Pickled beets taste better though. Seriously, you should try it

Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Handing frozen sandwiches to kids for their lunch is evil. They turn into mush by lunchtime and are really, really nasty. My mom used to get some sort of canned meat, it wasn't even name brand like Spam, mix it in the blender with some sort of sweet pickles or pickle relish and use it to make sandwiches. She would spread out loaves of soft white bread on the table - usually the stuff on sale so it wasn't even fresh to start with - then smear the bread slices liberally with Miracle Whip. Then she'd smear some of that revolting pink meat slush with green specks in it over the top of the Miracle Whip, slap another piece of nasty Styrofoam white bread on top and then freeze them. By lunchtime you had a baggie of nasty pink slush surrounded by soggy white stuff. All the kids in my family learned to cook at a very early age in sheer self defense.
That mess is nothing like an uncrustable....while I don't see tge need for them...they aren't nasty like that mess your mother tried.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 PM

802 posts, read 642,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
How about those long packages (mini size) of heavy/dense rye and wheat breads you find near the meat/cheese deli? Have you ever seen anyone buy one? I love rye and pumpernickle bread so I tried one of these awhile back.....OMG it was awful, in my opinion. The overbearing taste of caraway and rye was so strong that I had to spit it out in a napkin. I think I threw the rest out by the bird feeders. I honestly don't think the birds even ate it. I still like pump and rye bread, but not those little mini loaves.
I love those little cocktail breads. I pick up a package whenever I get a meat and cheese tray at the deli to make little sandwiches with. I haven't done that for ages. Time to order and meat and cheese tray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink