Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

I call it 'blue' unless it is French. I mean, I would feel a bit stupid saying (or writing) something like, 'I love Bleu Stilton.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I always figured it was "blue cheese" and "bleu french-word-for-cheese." If you translate one thing, why not the other?
I haven't a clue, that's why I wondered why it's spelled "bleu" (but I -- I can't speak for anyone else -- say "blue").

PS. "Cheese" in French is "fromage" but you didn't hear it from me because I *refuse* to speak French.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I call it 'blue' unless it is French. I mean, I would feel a bit stupid saying (or writing) something like, 'I love Bleu Stilton.'
See how much I know? (Nothing. )

I thought that when you write "bleu cheese" (or say "blue cheese"), it's referring to the *kind* of cheese (blue) and not a specific type (Stilton). I've never heard anyone say (or seen anyone write) anything other than "Stilton" just like that. Not "bleu/blue Stilton."

Just the same was as I always say "gorganzola," which is also bleu/blue.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've never heard anyone say (or seen anyone write) anything other than "Stilton" just like that. Not "bleu/blue Stilton."
The dairies that produce Stilton cheeses officially refer to their varieties as Blue Stilton if with mold, or White Stilton if without. I think since the majority of Stiltons are Blue, it is just assumed and the cheese referred to simply as Stilton. I myself have never had, or even seen, a White Stilton in a shop.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The dairies that produce Stilton cheeses officially refer to their varieties as Blue Stilton if with mold, or White Stilton if without. I think since the majority of Stiltons are Blue, it is just assumed and the cheese referred to simply as Stilton. I myself have never had, or even seen, a White Stilton in a shop.
Fascinating! I had no idea! I'm going to look for it.

You know that I have a craving now for that, um, color-of-the-sky-on-a-clear-day cheese, right?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
I'd been "taught" that the correct spelling is "bleu cheese" but that's not because I'm from Montreal -- really, I barely speak French. Yet, I'm always a bit proud when I see an American write "bleu cheese" instead of "blue cheese."

I'm an editor, so it did make me curious as to what the "correct" spelling is: bleu cheese (as I knew it to be) or blue cheese (as is sometimes written on this forum and elsewhere).

In case you were also curious:

The Grammarphobia Blog: Is the cheese blue or bleu?

I was surprised.
Well, since cheese is not French, it is rather silly if anyone insists that any phrase which includes that word is 'correct' based on the French language. In French, cheese is le fromage. Also, in French almost all adjectives (including colors) follow the noun. As such, in French 'blue cheese' is rendered le fromage bleu. So the whole idea of bleu cheese being correct because of the French language ignores the other two things wrong with that phrase from a francophone point of view.

Either bleu cheese or blue cheese is perfectly acceptable in English.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, since cheese is not French, it is rather silly if anyone insists that any phrase which includes that word is 'correct' based on the French language. In French, cheese is le fromage. Also, in French almost all adjectives (including colors) follow the noun. As such, in French 'blue cheese' is rendered le fromage bleu. So the whole idea of bleu cheese being correct because of the French language ignores the other two things wrong with that phrase from a francophone point of view.

Either bleu cheese or blue cheese is perfectly acceptable in English.
I know that it's not correct in any way -- mixing of languages, grammatically, etc... French is the primary language in the city where I live so I know "les rules."

I just found it interesting how the majority of people -- whether here in Canada, in the States, on this very forum, in Europe, etc... -- write "bleu" and not "blue."

Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
I know that it's not correct in any way -- mixing of languages, grammatically, etc... French is the primary language in the city where I live so I know "les rules."

I just found it interesting how the majority of people -- whether here in Canada, in the States, on this very forum, in Europe, etc... -- write "bleu" and not "blue."
That places me firmly in the minority.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I think a salad with bleu cheese dressing sounds more delicious.

Deal with that!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:18 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
It's either 'Fromage Bleu', or 'Blue Cheese'. Or, since the French tend to be rather specific about their cheeses, a more specific designation could be something like 'Fromage Bleu d'Auvergne' (Fromage AOP d) or, in English, "The 'Bleu d'Auvergne' Cheese", or "The Blue Cheese of Auvergne".

As for Croissants... One either says 'Crescent Rolls', or pronounces the word, with a casual approximation of correctness, in the French accent of one's choice (Quebecois VS Ile de France, par exemple...). The uncouth, however, may insist that one pronounce the word "Kroy-seeyyyaaaaaant", or whatever grating bastardization of the French term prevails in that locality. I prefer to avoid such people.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-21-2015 at 11:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink