Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Ditto. Unless someone has the resources and wherewithal to grow, harvest, or slaughter everything they eat and drink, some processing is inevitable. It can also be more cost-effective, and allows greater access to a wide variety of foods. For example, being able to purchase frozen or canned produce in the dead of winter; it's not difficult to find unsweeted, unsalted, water-packed fruits and veggies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Very nicely stated. It reminds me of what I say when some high and mighty person says 'Nothing from a box, can, bag or jar!' Really? No brown rice then? No jar of saurkraut? No bagged baby spinach?

It's too bad we don't use a different word for the fake foods vs lumping all processed foods together as bad. I highly doubt that bag of brown rice is bad for you like the bag of fat free potato chips is.

I stumbled across a blog called '100 days of real food' and she talks about trying really hard to buy only processed foods that have five or fewer ingredients, and only ones you recognize. I am trying to follow this. Not easy, yet not horribly difficult either.
[URL="http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/"]100 Days of Real Food[/URL]

Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I find most processed foods taste disgusting. Once they started removing the transfats from foods, the food got dry and gross. I remember biting into a hostess cupcake a few years back, and spat it out. It tasted like chocolate flavored cardboard. There are very few GOOD tasting junky/processed foods anymore.

I don't even really care for fast food. I would take a huge bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings over just about anything you could buy at a non-gourmet restaurant. Also, some things like pizza (Papa John's comes to mind) are SO salty, we are all downing water and bloated and feel sick after eating it. I want to feel GOOD after I eat, not sick to my stomach.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
A chemical is any substance that is made up of atoms Water, oxygen... both are natural... both are chemicals.
Natural, yes...but maybe not so great to the our liver...wood
and gasoline are natural
...is what I mean...my body doesn't know exactly how to handle them.
Cryptosporidium is natural, also...had that in me once...can tell ya...ya don't want it in your body.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
You missed the point. The poster I was replying to claimed "Chemicals aren't natural and require mixing in order to work in that manner. The only way that happens is through human intervention....i.e. processing." Which is obviously false. Everything we eat, drink, and breathe is a chemical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Natural, yes...but maybe not so great to the our liver...wood
and gasoline are natural
...is what I mean...my body doesn't know exactly how to handle them.
Cryptosporidium is natural, also...had that in me once...can tell ya...ya don't want it in your body.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I find most processed foods taste disgusting. Once they started removing the transfats from foods, the food got dry and gross. I remember biting into a hostess cupcake a few years back, and spat it out. It tasted like chocolate flavored cardboard. There are very few GOOD tasting junky/processed foods anymore.

I don't even really care for fast food. I would take a huge bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings over just about anything you could buy at a non-gourmet restaurant. Also, some things like pizza (Papa John's comes to mind) are SO salty, we are all downing water and bloated and feel sick after eating it. I want to feel GOOD after I eat, not sick to my stomach.
I agree on some points, although perhaps not as vehemently. I very rarely eat packaged snacks, like snack cakes and candy. I prefer snacking on fresh fruit, maybe with a little whipped cream if I'm feeling naughty, or I make cookies and brownies and such from scratch.

I do make a hamburger helper-type meal every now and then from the box. *gasp* the horrors! I add lots of veggies when I do. Although it doesn't really taste salty to me, I do find myself drinking a lot of water when I eat such things.

Nobody's gonna convince me that Velveeta Shells and Cheese aren't delicious, though! And I've been known to make Stove Top after doctoring it up with homemade chicken stock and sautéed onions, celery and mushrooms. Yummy.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM

240 posts, read 239,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
A lot of people are against processed foods nowadays.

I'm just wondering why?

I definitely love making a lot of things from scratch, but I like using certain convenience foods, like frozen biscuits, boxed mac and cheese (although I make a great homemade baked mac and cheese, I do make the boxed stuff for weeknight sides), etc.

Do you eat processed foods?

If so, when?

If not, why?
Ummm, one reason really CANCER
hello, its all crap designed to kill us

Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
Ummm, one reason really CANCER
hello, its all crap designed to kill us

Cancer rates are generally down, so they are not doing a good job of killing us.

Also, if their profits are tied to our consuming their products, why would they be trying to kill us?

Your comments make no sense.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 PM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
I'm old skool-a child of the space race days- I eat what tastes good to me. If I don't try something, whether processed or not, how do I know if it tastes good or not.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
You missed the point. The poster I was replying to claimed "Chemicals aren't natural and require mixing in order to work in that manner. The only way that happens is through human intervention....i.e. processing." Which is obviously false. Everything we eat, drink, and breathe is a chemical.
yeah, I suppose ....... but I think we're using the word as a shorthand for "synthetic chemicals" in this thread.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Cancer rates are generally down, so they are not doing a good job of killing us.

Also, if their profits are tied to our consuming their products, why would they be trying to kill us?

Your comments make no sense.
The above comment brought to you by Burger King.

(By the way, if cancer rates are down, it's quite possibly thanks to early screenings, the trend toward eating organic food, more knowledge about carcinogens, banning pesticides, fewer people smoking.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink