Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I live in an area where I can catch wild salmon. Nothing better than catching one and cooking it up right there on the beach where you landed it. I don't know if I've ever eaten farmed salmon to be honest.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:16 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromSea View Post
Boggles the mind how it's cheaper to process US caught wild fish in China and ship it back here rather than just process it here. Reality check, seems like most processor line workers on vessels are green card status non US citizens already. A US citizen just won't do that work in those conditions any more! That labor force went from US kids, to Filipino, to Mexican, Russian, and Africans..... just isn't the money it once was!
Completely untrue. US Americans are more than willing to perform these jobs, at a wage that reflects the labor, hardship, and time that they have to put into it. Compared to the cost of fuel, equipment, etc., the difference between hiring Americans and other low wage country workers is barely noticeable on the bottom line. So what if the price of wild caught salmon goes up a buck a pound? I'd rather trust that than trans-shipping it across the world.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:29 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
^^ And from what I read, Chinese workers are beginning to demand higher salaries and better working conditions, which is leading some manufacturers to bring those jobs back to the US. Of course, it's leading other manufacturers to simply move the factory jobs to the next impoverished country that allows slave labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink