Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,529,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Also, I feel like, at this point, we can retire the "Starbucks is pretentious/a status symbol" thing. As saturated as the market is, there's nothing "special" about Starbucks. It's pretty damned pedestrian.
This, how in the world is Starbucks a "status" symbol....everyone and their grandmother is in there enjoying coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot apple ciders, etc....it's a cool place to meet people and some of us who don't drink alcohol appreciate that there is a place to meet up that has a nice, social ambience with engaging jazzy music

I think Starbucks is just another regular place to pick up a coffee....homeless people also hang out on the side of Starbucks just like they do at 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, Mickey D's, etc......(at least at some of the Houston locations anyway) lol @ "status"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,140,506 times
I will say-- I do love Starbuck's Green Teas......
Also their Hot Chocolate---irresistible

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 PM

575 posts, read 668,784 times
I posted the other day about going to Mexico City and, what led me to the title of this post is that I would go on a one hour walk early every day on this giant blvd Champs-Élysées type of street called Paseo de la Reforma. I would go 30 minutes one way, cross this monster, and walk 30 minutes coming back. I couldn't go 2 blocks without seeing a Starbucks. That was my awakening to the global impact of this company.

I have a few distinct memories related to Starbucks.

A friend invited for coffee in LA a few years ago called Coffee Bean. I told her I didn't drink coffee and she got me my first (hot) Chai Latte. The next day she invited me to Starbucks and I guess I was hooked on Chai Latte rather than on where I got it.

Another memory is that I attended an early morning meeting every single week involving two companies in a joint venture. One guy always walked in carrying a Starbucks cup though there was always fresh brewed teas and coffees available. I always thought what a pretentious jerk he was with his tall cup and that little brown sleeve. Plus, it was a casual atmosphere and he never wore socks. He didn't last long at his job. LOL

Then my daughter took me to a Starbucks once and ordered me some shaken passion tea thing that was served ice cold and it was pretty tasty. First time I had paid attention to them having so many menu options. I am of the philosophy of if it's not broke, don't fix it so I just stuck with what was working. So it was chai latte on cold days and and some ice tea option on hot days.

A year or so ago, my daughter, who had become an iced coffeeholic, suggested I try an iced chai latte. I quit the occasional loaded with sugar frappuccinos and just drink my chai hot or cold depending on the season. I wouldn't know a burnt coffee from a strong or weak one or any other thing having to do with coffee. But I know about business and I like their style. Several posts refer to their product consistency and I agree. I frequent 4 different Starbucks and they call me by name and usually ask if I want my chai latte hot or iced. I like that and I address them by name if I know it or if they have a name tag. I am told that if one leaves their employ, they can't come back, unless there is some non job related reason like going away for school, illness or something that doesn't include just quitting, or leaving for another job and then wishing to return. I like their 2x1 promos they run from time to time and their seasonal drink options. I like the Rewards program where you earn free drinks for every 15 you buy, which equates to about a 7% discount. I like that they know your birthday and you get a freebie that you can use within x number of days from it. Free wifi is nice, as is a power outlet when you can find one not being used. What I don't like is a huge line for usually a single restroom. The one on Dey Street, near the WTC has a restroom line longer than the customer line. I think people bath, shave and change clothes in there.

I give them two thumbs up.

Last edited by TotalKaos; 01-26-2015 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,213,152 times
I liked Starbucks when I was a teen, just starting to get into coffee, because it was 'cool' and the drinks were sweet and tasty.
Now, I really treat it as the fast food of coffee - a last resort when I really need some caffeine or a place to sit down with a cup of something hot and no other place is available. But really since trying other coffee places, I pretty much hate their coffee. Although the newer Blonde Roast is actually fairly decent. But the espresso drinks? Blergh. The lattes just taste like hot milk, you can't taste the espresso at all (probably a good thing as it's likely burnt and gross), and mochas/ flavored drinks are soo disgustingly sweet, it's ridiculous. And don't get me started on the 600 calorie muffins that don't even taste good, I mean what the hell do they put in them.

I lived in Vancouver, Canada, and the downtown there has soo many fantastic coffee options, I never ever went to Starbucks. The coffee quality is just incomparable. Now we live in a somewhat sleepy suburb of Seattle and there are 4! Starbucks (two plazas, two Sbux on each), and not a single other option for a cup of coffee, which kinda sucks. I drive out to Whole Foods in the next suburb over sometimes for the closest decent coffee and a tasty pastry. I love coffee - good coffee. But Sbux ain't it.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Perhaps I would be more jazzed about Starbucks and its ilk if I liked sweetened coffee/espresso concoctions. Given that I most prefer brewed regular roast, black or with cream only, and cannot drink coffee if it's got even the lightest hint of sweetness, 90% of the menu is utterly wasted on me. I do not want my coffee to involve sweetened syrup, whipped cream, or sprinkles. At all. Anywhere.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
McDonalds or Walmart of coffee.

It's not magical.
To expand on this, it is predictable, you know what you will get. I am more coffee snob than not. But if my choice is unknown coffee shop with unknown pedigree, i am going to Starbucks. Not because it is amazing, but because at least i know what the passable options are. I have been burned by horrible overpiced coffee too many times.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Peet's Coffee, in Berkeley, CA. I go in just to soak up the atmosphere, and look at the cool teapots and accoutrements they sell. I don't even drink coffee hardly at all. I buy their teas. Their shops are so much mellower than Starbucks. I've tried their coffee, and like it far better than Starbucks, but I'm not much of a coffee drinker anyway. Diluted as a latte, I can handle.
Did you know rge starbucks founder worked there (in berkeley) copied the idea, with Peet's blessing and headed to Seattle.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Here's the thing, though.

ALL chains are, by design, predictable, familiar, and consistent. What differentiates Starbucks from its competitors, who use the same strategies? All I can think of is market saturation. Peet's may well be awesome, but it's nowhere to be found in my region - the closest one is two states and an eight-hour drive away. I like Einstein Bros. Bagel's coffee more than I like Starbuck's, but there three in my entire metro. There are, by contrast, at least twenty Starbucks, and that's counting stand-alone, not the kiosk ones in other businesses.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,192,005 times
Quote:
Perhaps I would be more jazzed about Starbucks and its ilk if I liked sweetened coffee/espresso concoctions. Given that I most prefer brewed regular roast, black or with cream only, and cannot drink coffee if it's got even the lightest hint of sweetness, 90% of the menu is utterly wasted on me. I do not want my coffee to involve sweetened syrup, whipped cream, or sprinkles. At all. Anywhere.
I am the same way, and only order my coffees and lattes plain with cream at Starbucks.

I have noticed that 90% of the time, the car in front of me is handed sugary dessert drinks with whipped cream on top; I see the same thing at cheaper places like McDonalds too though, so I don't think the whole sugar thing happens just at Starbucks. Americans just like to eat sugar for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,181,137 times
Quote:
Here's the thing, though.

ALL chains are, by design, predictable, familiar, and consistent. What differentiates Starbucks from its competitors, who use the same strategies? All I can think of is market saturation.
Yep, that's all it is. They were the first to go large, and dominated the market early on. Although many of the smaller regional competitors are better in quality.

Quote:
Also, I feel like, at this point, we can retire the "Starbucks is pretentious/a status symbol" thing. As saturated as the market is, there's nothing "special" about Starbucks. It's pretty damned pedestrian.
Absolutely. It's been well over a decade since Starbuck's was any sort of status symbol thing, and even back then it was more of a trend than any sort of status symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink