Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:29 PM

575 posts, read 671,921 times

Advertisements

Let me say that I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, BUT I spend too much time and too much money at Starbucks, mostly on tea drinks, but on occasional sweets or sandwiches.

So why can you walk 3 blocks from nearly anywhere in Manhattan and find a Starbucks?
Why not get addicted to any of the cheaper options, instead of the ridiculous Starbucks prices?
Why pay nearly the price of a gallon of milk or two gallons of gas for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, when you have so many options to shop for coffee drinks at a fraction of the cost, and put up with usually ridiculously long lines and the restroom lines are longer than the service lines?

I am stumped. I don't even know why I go, yet I do.

WHY, WHY, WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 PM

384 posts, read 512,205 times
It eludes me, as I don't go to Starbucks. But I've always thought that part of their popularity had to do with social signaling. People like to be seen drinking their products, maybe in part because they are expensive compared to other coffee shops. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
I have no idea why it's popular. I tried their coffee and didn't like it. It seems to be extra-strong, maybe to make it more addicting? But the atmosphere inside is too sterile and institutional. There are locally-owned chains in different regions of the US that have much better coffee, a much better selection of teas, and a warm inviting atmosphere inside. The Starbucks shops have no personality.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
I don't drink Starbucks, if anything I drink it once a year or so. I think Starbucks is a huge fan these days especially amongst college educated suburbanites who live in big cities.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
McDonalds or Walmart of coffee.

It's not magical.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Let me say that I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, BUT I spend too much time and too much money at Starbucks, mostly on tea drinks, but on occasional sweets or sandwiches.

So why can you walk 3 blocks from nearly anywhere in Manhattan and find a Starbucks?
Why not get addicted to any of the cheaper options, instead of the ridiculous Starbucks prices?
Why pay nearly the price of a gallon of milk or two gallons of gas for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, when you have so many options to shop for coffee drinks at a fraction of the cost, and put up with usually ridiculously long lines and the restroom lines are longer than the service lines?

WHY, WHY, WHY?
They are a cafe, their tea sucks. You are paying for a tea bag which you can buy for $2 for box.

Starbucks coffee is actually not expensive. If you compare what Donut Donut charges, it is within a few cents. The biggest difference is that Starbucks has 2-3 different brews everyday and DnD has only one but now they have 2 because they just added their burnt flavor.

And there really is no better alternative because Starbucks offers you total convenience, they're everywhere. They have good consistency and free drinks if you get their rewards card.

The competition cannot produce consistent products, they hire too many immigrants, coffees are too weak, and not that much cheaper.

McDonald coffee is horrible, it's like drinking K-cup coffee.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I don't drink coffee and I am not attracted to Starbucks, but I can imagine why others are.
Starbucks serve a high quality coffee, many unique flavors AND a lot of other things, like teas, hot chocolate, sweets, and snacks. You can customize your beverage any way you want.
You don't need to be a coffee drinker and enjoy other beverages. You can even bring your kids for a cup of hot cocoa.
They have comfortable nooks where you can read, use your computer or even work. They have nice outdoor patios too.
Their service is usually good, and if you are a regular, their baristas will try to remember your preferences. You feel comfortable, and welcomed, the service is fast and competent (in most places). You can meet with friends, sit alone or mingle, and no one will bother you. Starbucks may be expensive, but according to its taste of coffee and atmosphere, it is worth the extra expense dollars. People like to go there after work, get their favorite beverage, sit and relax.
Starbucks are convenient because they are practically on every corner, and all look alike. You know what they serve and what to expect. You are never far away from it, and they are always a good reason for a short "coffee" break from work

Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post

WHY, WHY, WHY?
You will have to ask yourself.I have never purchased a single thing at Starbuck's and been inside of one only a few times. Was also in Italy recently and there seem to be very few there.They have better options there and in most of Europe.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,441,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You will have to ask yourself.I have never purchased a single thing at Starbuck's and been inside of one only a few times. Was also in Italy recently and there seem to be very few there.They have better options there and in most of Europe.
As far as I know, there isn't any sturbucks in Italy. Starbucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But we have a lot of little family-owned bars in which you can have a good caffé (=espresso) for the modest sum of €1-€1.5.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
As far as I know, there isn't any sturbucks in Italy. Starbucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But we have a lot of little family-owned bars in which you can have a good caffé (=espresso) for the modest sum of €1-€1.5.
Lucky you,having none. I didn't want to say for sure there were none because I thought there must be one somewhere even though I had never seen it. Not even in Florence? That's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink