Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

I don't care about any of these. I happen to like McDonald's because of the food, been eating it since I was a kid and a Filet o Fish tastes the same now as it did back then.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdona...213448320.html

Quote:
McDonald's is planning on installing self-order kiosks to improve accuracy of orders, Thompson said. Panera Bread also recently installed automated ordering.

Some restaurants will begin offering table service, and t he brand will also improve its mobile ordering interface.

McDonald's has also started redesigning some kitchens to make more room for food preparation.

The new initiatives will "simply make it easier to get McDonald's their way, whatever that might be," Thompson said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I'm still ticked that McDonalds discontinued Hot Mustard. Did find a store that still has it the other day, though.

Self service kiosks.. And, I feel I'm an expert on the matter, since I work in the POS industry and program the dang things.. Have a place.. I don't think McDonalds is one of them.

A place like Zaxby's.. For those familiar with them.. Good place for self-service kiosks.. Pizza places can make it work.. Chicken joints.. Your KFC, Popeyes.. It can work there. I don't see it working in a burger joint.. And here's the reason why..

Burger joints have too much customization. It's simple for anyone to walk in and ring up their own 2 piece chicken dinner with potatoes and gravy and slaw. That can be done in about 5 keystrokes, including paying for it.

It's alot harder to make intuitive screens that are quick and simple enough for the great unwashed to walk up to and successfully place an order at the first time they've seen it when you have so much customization.. McDonalds would be easier than somewhere like Burger King, tho.. Whopper with no ketchup, heavy mayo, light pickles.. What a mess to make that simple.

As for table service.. BK tried that about 20 years ago.. Massive failure. Hardee's does it, to a limited extent (I suppose Carl's Jr does as well) and it isn't anything special.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I just want to add that I seriously doubt his Filet o Fish is the same as when he was a kid, unless he is a teenager. Since they use healthier oils now, the fried foods are not worth eating. Has anyone tried a McNugget lately? They are like tasteless cardboard.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just want to add that I seriously doubt his Filet o Fish is the same as when he was a kid, unless he is a teenager. Since they use healthier oils now, the fried foods are not worth eating. Has anyone tried a McNugget lately? They are like tasteless cardboard.
Yeah nuggets are not the same as back when I used to work for McDonald's, when I used to "borrow" one out of the drawer (they probably don't even keep them in drawers anymore) back in good ole 1984. Mmmm they were fresh, hot and tasty and of course extra good tasting since it included that element of being free and "let me snag just one."

Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Filet of fish with extra tartar sauce was such a treat for me...I just can not
bring myself to put it in my body now...darn it ... I hate being smart.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Filet of fish with extra tartar sauce was such a treat for me...I just can not
bring myself to put it in my body now...darn it ... I hate being smart.

No, Miss Hepburn...no! if you were smart you would get two of them!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't care about any of these. I happen to like McDonald's because of the food, been eating it since I was a kid and a Filet o Fish tastes the same now as it did back then.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdona...213448320.html
Unsustainable.

The problem is that McD has a larger menu than newer places. Five Guys has just a burger and different add-ons. Even Panera's while they do have a large menu it's really just either sandwich, pasta, or salad.

If they do this they have to charge more money to make up for the extra service. Their current value based clientale may not like the price hike and choices.

I will say it again, Mcdonald's just needs to fix their food and ingredients. People would come back if Big Mac was actually big and chicken nuggets taste like real chicken and not some rubbery stuff.

Their French fries are the worst in the business now. Doesn't taste like it's made of potatoes.

Has anyone look at their salads? Hardly any fresh looking greens. More like white iceburg lettuce compare to Wendy's.

If they want to compete they gotta have something that stands out or else cater to the poor which can only afford the dollar menu stuff.

Last edited by vision33r; 01-28-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
I used to love filet-o-fish and chicken mcnuggets when I was a kid. Yum. Every once in a while I get a craving, but it doesn't taste as good as I remember it used to. I would never order a salad there.

I don't understand why they would want table service. Every time I go to McDonald's, everyone is in the drive-thru. Sometimes the lines are so long, I park, go inside, and order my food to go. There is no line or just one person inside the store and maybe one table is being used. I never eat there. Even at the airport, I get my food to go and eat it in the more comfy seats by my gate.

One good thing I have seen around here is some of the McD's have two drive thru lines for ordering and one common window for pickup. This seems to speed things up quite a bit.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Not sure why McD's expects world class service for poverty wages.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
They need to fix more than service. Their food quality has declined in recent years and not the same as I remember years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink