Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times

Advertisements

Sometimes in the meat section of the grocery store, I see reduced price packages of ground beef that have a sell-by date of that same day. The beef though is a light brown or brown-gray color (like it's been oxidized) vs the red/pink color of the other packages with longer sell-by dates. How will this ground beef taste vs the fresh pink colored one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
It will taste the same. It's just the color and as soon as you cook it then it's all the same color. When you open it and it has a rotten smell, then it's not good. You'll even smell it when your cooking it.

The grocery stores don't take chances, I'm sure it's good beef. They just know that the red one will get picked up first and the brown will end up getting old or they will have to use it some way.

IMHO, take the cheaper one.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:11 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Sometimes in the meat section of the grocery store, I see reduced price packages of ground beef that have a sell-by date of that same day. The beef though is a light brown or brown-gray color (like it's been oxidized) vs the red/pink color of the other packages with longer sell-by dates. How will this ground beef taste vs the fresh pink colored one?
It's fine....if it's cheaper buy it. Just remember to use it or freeze it in short order.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I used to remember my mom order fresh ground beef at the butcher section by telling the butcher to ground certain cuts and it would come out darker red and brown and not this pink stuff we see today. The pink slime they call it today is a type of preservative added to give it a longer shelf life as blood typically turns brown over time. More reason to eat less meat unless you can find high quality natural stuff.

Completely natural ground beef looks like this:

Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
the normal color of meat (muscle ) is not bright red it is purple

when a store grinds burger , the outside is exposed to oxygen so it blooms (red on the outside) while the inside -that isn't exposed to oxygen is its normal color (purple, sometimes looks brown)
same as our blood

most stores put two day shelf life on burger - except for Walmart they don't grind anything fresh on site,,it gets shipped from a warehouse miles away and taken out of a box

anyways, the burger will be fine- cook burger to an internal temp of 160 f, it kills any and all bacteria - if it has any

I buy reduced burger all the time,,,and don't mind at all if its dark inside- in fact, ironically, its a sign of freshness,,,,,, if you buy a Walmart 75% lean (25% fat) all ground,,,it will keep its color for a week because its map packaged (modified atmospheric packaging)

if you have concerns- buy burger and steaks from a local butcher shop or a smaller grocery store that has butchers still in the store - they grind fresh many times a day

burger comes out of a grinder not out of a box

also as one poster advised,,, if a chuck roast, bottom round roast is on sale- ask them to grind it for you- they will (or should)

Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I always buy "reduced" beef, if it's a cut or size I want! The "browning" color doesn't hurt it at all! Great way to save money. As long as it's been properly refrigerated, it's fine.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I buy marked-down GB at or near the pull-date.......never had a problem with it being spoiled, even if brown/gray.

I guess the sniff-test is what I rely on the most....if it smells rank, don't buy it.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
The wife of my husband's old business partner was the daughter of a butcher who owned his own market.

She made some steaks once that were delicious. When we asked her secret for selecting meat at the run of the mill grocery store (or anywhere for that matter, I guess) she told us look for the stuff that is older and marked down in price and brown in color. The rationale being that as meat starts to age and decompose, the fibers break down and the meat will become more tender.

I know she was probably right, but I just can't bring myself to buy that stuff

Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The wife of my husband's old business partner was the daughter of a butcher who owned his own market.

She made some steaks once that were delicious. When we asked her secret for selecting meat at the run of the mill grocery store (or anywhere for that matter, I guess) she told us look for the stuff that is older and marked down in price and brown in color. The rationale being that as meat starts to age and decompose, the fibers break down and the meat will become more tender.

I know she was probably right, but I just can't bring myself to buy that stuff

Bo, but you will go to a fancy restaurant and pay an incredible amount for a steak that has been aged much longer than the discount bin at the local grocery market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink