Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,968 times

Advertisements

What are some cultures food that you are interested in trying out or eating even though that you have never had it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1771 View Post
What are some cultures food that you are interested in trying out or eating even though that you have never had it?
I've had Ethiopian food once....but I would like to try a few more dishes as I don't think you can tell all that much from just one experience.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
native Alaskan Inuit foods, fresh seal meat, fish, blubber, whale meat

any type of native American or indigenous peoples of South America foods

Mongolian's traditional food & drink

Saudi Arabian cuisine whole cooked lamb or camel eaten in the traditional way on a big platter shared by everyone in the group

a traditional Pacific Islander style luau Samoan, Tongan feast with a roast pig or cooked in a pit

authentic Cambodian cuisine

Old 01-28-2015, 10:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

Saudi Arabian cuisine whole cooked lamb or camel eaten in the traditional way on a big platter shared by everyone in the group

a traditional Pacific Islander style luau Samoan, Tongan feast with a roast pig or cooked in a pit

gotta like this,,,whale meat to camel

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM

675 posts, read 644,926 times
From Japan, I have only had sushi. I would love to try okonomiyaki.

I have family that expatted to Vancouver. I know that America has commercially penetrated Canada very deeply, but I also realize Canada has its own food culture independent of what we throw at it. I would like to explore that.

I might like a pavlova from New Zealand, depending on what fruit wasd on it.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

I've read enough comments on how ghastly fermented blubber is from people who will eat most anything to know without question that is one thing that has no place on my bucket list.

I dunno... I have a relatively decent concept of foods from most cultures, especially Central/South America. Much like the Cambodian comment above, maybe explore Myanmar (Burmese) cuisine to see the difference between that and the rest of SE Asia. I feel I haven't dug deep enough into Turkish cuisine.

I don't know much about breakfasts in Central Asia/Middle East/Central Africa.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 AM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
African cuisines are really the only ethnic cuisines of any significance that I haven't had extensive exposure to, so I guess I would say that. Although much of their culture/cuisine heavily influences Caribbean diets and I am very well versed in various Caribbean cuisines.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I can't think of any ethnic cuisines I'd NOT be interested in trying out. I can't say I'd be jumping to try and/or love every single food common to a given ethnicity, but when broadly discussing cuisines, yeah, there's not much I won't try.

I'm most skeptical about how much I'd enjoy heavily seafood-infused cultural offerings, but there's probably some things I'd be okay with.

I'm trying to think of broad cuisine types that I've had really no exposure to...not much. Polynesian, maybe?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I'm down with anything that doesn't involve organ meats or insects.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm down with anything that doesn't involve organ meats or insects.
But organ meats can be so delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink