Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:56 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I knew a guy that ate the meat from one of those wild pigs and got worms in his brain, he had surgery and eventually died, he was around late 30's early 40's when he died from it
Were the worms the kind that could have been killed by cooking it better? Or was it more like mad cow disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 06:54 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I have had it once. It is so much better than farm raised pork. Would love to get some more.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Feral pigs have been a problem in the South for many years.

Why You Should be Eating More Wild Pigs Right Now | Serious Eats
I think you misread the situation - the problem is all the land has been taken by people.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Never ate it but was forced to climb a tree to get away from one that chased me. Cousin and I were squirrel hunting and came upon a wild pig. This was about 65 years ago in Maryland. Pig charged us, I got half-way up a skinny little tree, Cousin picked up a fallen tree limb and successfully drove the animal away. I still don't know why Cousin didn't shoot.
If he had, I might be able to tell you how wild pig tasted. I do know I like the domesticated kind.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What's javelina taste like? I hear it's almost a different species.

Yeah, any wild game can have diseases and parasites, and some of those are really bad. Probably deer has the least amount of parasites, while hogs and raccoons have the most - if I remember correctly. Wild game definitely needs very strict hygiene and thorough cooking, no medium-rare but well-done and then some (to keep it from getting tough, low heat for a long time is best, as for example real barbecue or stews).

People do make sausages from wild game, but since it's usually very lean it needs some added fat or it will taste like moist sawdust (yeah, you heard me ex-wife! Sawdust!)
will cooking eliminate all the germs, diseases, parasites, and any toxins? What methods of cooking is best? Can you do BBQ?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I vaguely remember a movie called "The Thorn Birds" a long time ago in which one of the characters killed a boar, and then a number of years later a boar killed him. So you guys be careful hunting wild boars, if they're as dangerous as they seem.
How can a boar kill a human? Does it trample on you? How big can they get? The one I bagged can be lifted by the teenage son of the game ranch owner.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Never ate it but was forced to climb a tree to get away from one that chased me. Cousin and I were squirrel hunting and came upon a wild pig. This was about 65 years ago in Maryland. Pig charged us, I got half-way up a skinny little tree, Cousin picked up a fallen tree limb and successfully drove the animal away. I still don't know why Cousin didn't shoot.
If he had, I might be able to tell you how wild pig tasted. I do know I like the domesticated kind.
What is scary about the boars though? Are their teeth really sharp?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Feral pigs have been a problem in the South for many years.

Why You Should be Eating More Wild Pigs Right Now | Serious Eats
Wild pig is the best pork on Earth. Lean, flavorful and devoid of additives and other nastiness. My son and I are going after feral pig in April, on a ranch I have connections on in N CA. An archery hunt. We plan on stocking the freezer. Certain meat off a feral is not as good as domestic. Like the ribs, unless its a younger hog and under, say, 200#s. However, the chops, roasts and tenderloin, hams and especially the bacon is unequaled. You actually have to add fat to the bacon. I just LOVE it.

Plus, its an exiting and satisfying hunt. No animal I would rather take to the field after. Except Elk. Elk is the undisputed king of wild meat. But an Elk hunt is expensive. A hog hunt is on the cheap.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:44 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I've had wild boar kielbasa that was excellent.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:51 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Were the worms the kind that could have been killed by cooking it better? Or was it more like mad cow disease?
I dont really know all the details, but it was from the wild meat from a hunting trip

it's possible the meat may have had disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink