Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM

30 posts, read 23,792 times

Advertisements

Mushroom!!! I hate it but my dad love it....so it still often show up at my table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,859,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Having manners is one thing.. not being able to express to your own parents that you dislike a food simply as a matter of taste is quite another.

I'm not sure how you would ever confuse the two.
Because the family dinner table is excellent training for eating out. Manners are manners, whether directed at a parent or another adult. Yes, children should be able to refuse gracefully. All that requires is a "no thank you". Not a personal opinion of what's being served.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Fried Spam and SOS (**** on a Shingle) creamed chipped beef sandwiches. Gag!
Two of the four things my dad knew how to cook and could reliably make for us growing up. The other two being frozen fish sticks, and eggs. I actually like all those things, except for fish sticks. I haven't had SOS in years, but now I'm tempted to make some.

My mom was very much aware of what we as kids did and didn't prefer. Sometimes those preferences could be honored, other times, it wasn't cost-effective or convenient to honor them. Being rude about food somebody spent time making was not a consideration, though. If we didn't like something, we said, "No, thank you," and accepted the fact that that was what provided, and that we might feel hungry later. Or, alternately, we could opt to eat it, favorite or not.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Because the family dinner table is excellent training for eating out. Manners are manners, whether directed at a parent or another adult. Yes, children should be able to refuse gracefully. All that requires is a "no thank you". Not a personal opinion of what's being served.
Yep.

I taught in an early childhood program, and we did our meals family style for this reason...learning socially appropriate dining manners. If child did not prefer to eat what was served, the child had every right to say, "No, thank you." Editorial remarks are not necessary. It wasn't like an alternate was going to be provided. You either eat, or you don't eat, but the choice is yours. As one of my favorite 4-year olds would comment, parroting her mom, "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit. " Right on.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,673,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
At the table I agree with a ' no thank you' and certainly when offered food by others (if a child is eating out...why would they order something they didn't like in the first place?)...though most of us were not giving that option going up.....but what prevents a child from politely stating at any time they don't like a certain food to their parents?

Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,673,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep.

I taught in an early childhood program, and we did our meals family style for this reason...learning socially appropriate dining manners. If child did not prefer to eat what was served, the child had every right to say, "No, thank you." Editorial remarks are not necessary. It wasn't like an alternate was going to be provided. You either eat, or you don't eat, but the choice is yours. As one of my favorite 4-year olds would comment, parroting her mom, "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit. " Right on.
Who has said anything about tolerating tantrums? There is nothing impolite about a child letting their parents know they don't like something.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,120,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My smile for the morning. I happen to love Tuna casserole and I even liked picked herring or I could eat it, but I guess there are a lot of people who would think I am a little off my rocker.

Honestly, the tuna noodle casserole was NOT the problem - having it EVERY Friday was the problem. I really do not like canned tuna that much.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,300,853 times
My mom is a poor cook so there wasn't really anything of hers I liked. She mostly boiled vegetables and put meat into the oven. The worst was her christmas dinners. Much effort for nothing. We were always very happy to have some kind of junk food like mac n cheese or pizza on saturday night.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Fried Spam and SOS (**** on a Shingle) creamed chipped beef sandwiches. Gag!
i loved sos for a quick dinner some weekend nights while growing up: agree about Spam, I am surprised it is still so popular. Food is so subjective, what one of us loves there are others that can't stand it...We used to have sos, creamed eggs on toast or walsh rarebit (spelling) for dinner often on Friday nights. It was always are quick, simple dinner. oh, and I forgot sometimes it was creamed tuna or chicken on toast.

Again, like I mentioned, we just ate whatever was on our plates. Maybe there were times when we would discuss likes and dislikes but never at the table. Sure mom could tell, by the amount we ate what we liked, but we would never say anything or refuse to eat what was served. I think so much of this depends totally on the decade or generation you were born in. And, yes, as pointed out by some, it does boil down to some degree to manners. We were taught to appreciate what ever we had and be thankful. If mom asked us what we thought we would tell her, we didn't like it or we loved it, whatever, but we never said we didn't like it.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,288,106 times
I remember two things. Liver (god it smelled awefull cooking. Mom said it was steak (right!). She only made us try it once (cool mom )

Second roast beef. I liked roast beef OK, but sometimes it was VERY tough!! I remember hiding it in my pants pocket. Then either flushing it or throwing it in the shrubs out front of the house..

Then one day after dinner. I meet one of my neighborhood friends and he pulls a piece of roast beef out of his pocket! hahahah.. His and my mom must of had the same butcher/recipe..

mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink