U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

I ask this because not too long ago I asked my daughter if there was anything, growing up, we had that she ate even though she hated it or anything I served that almost embarrassed her when she was with friends. To my surprise, she told me 2 things: one was yoguart. In the 60s yoguart wasn't a regular food most people enjoyed. She hated it and had to friends that ate it. The other thing was chopped veggies, like green onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc in cottage cheese.

She then asked her kids, they told her whole chickens cooked in the crock pot, they hated crock pot chicken but never said a word.

I think what I disliked the most was the way mom made cold slaw and I am a huge slaw eater now. I also would be embarrassed when I took lunch to school and mom made me avocado sandwiches. Of course by lunch time they were brown. I never said a word, but remember how I felt when kids wondered what I was eating. And the other thing, dad bought top of the line liverwurst and other lunch meats. Of course he didn't get the sliced kind, so my sandwiches always had think slices and not uniform like my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 AM

2,600 posts, read 1,488,402 times
Shepherd's pie. My mom made it with a combo of ground beef, corn, and tomatoes, with mashed potatoes on top. Everybody else loved it. I never said a word. My mom was a fantastic cook, so it wasn't that she didn't make it well, it was just the combination of flavors and the texture I didn't like.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:07 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,149,377 times
I hate applesauce. I hate scrapple. I REALLY hate applesauce ON scrapple. As a kid I was forced to eat scrapple for breakfast in the morning before school in the winter. My mother put applesauce on it, not realizing I hate applesauce, too. Now, 50 years later when I visit, and I'm frying bacon for breakfast, my mother will say, "I bought you some scrapple". Applesauce is ALWAYS on the dinner table...and when I don't touch it, she'll say "Don't you want applesauce?"

Old 02-08-2015, 07:23 AM

573 posts, read 654,588 times
My mom makes lentil soup and I still haven't told her how much I dislike it. If it was thicker, like chili, I could deal with it but it's a thin grayish liquid with lentils in the bottom of the pot. Blah!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:39 AM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
My list would be too long to post. I was a very picky eater. But it wouldn't have made any difference if I had spoken up. With six siblings, somebody was sure to like what I hated. A couple of my brothers even liked the dreaded liver.

I am grateful I was never forced to eat everything on my plate. I wasn't given another option, mind you, but I didn't have to eat it either.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Why wouldn't someone speak up?

Growing up I still had to take a bite of hated foods but even my father knew I dislike asparagus. (The great asparagus battle of thanksgiving 1974 is still spoken of in the family.....lol)

My daughter also spoke up when she didn't like something....obviously we didn't force her to eat it last past generations did..but we knew her likes and dislikes.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why wouldn't someone speak up?

Growing up I still had to take a bite of hated foods but even my father knew I dislike asparagus. (The great asparagus battle of thanksgiving 1974 is still spoken of in the family.....lol)

My daughter also spoke up when she didn't like something....obviously we didn't force her to eat it last past generations did..but we knew her likes and dislikes.
Lol that was my thought too - I was very outspoken about foods I didn't like as a child. There was nothing I hated that my parents didn't know about.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Like Mattie, my husband had six siblings. Somebody must have liked his mother's turkey stuffing with raisins but I know it wasn't Mr. Lodestar. Every Thanksgiving for years when we sat down to eat she'd say that she put raisins in the dressing especially for him. It got to be such an anticipated moment of stifled giggles that I had to be careful to not make eye contact and to have a napkin ready to "wipe my mouth" in case a smile would break through.

Somehow my mom and dad got the idea that we all liked boxed macaroni and cheese and Spam. Nearly every time they visited they'd bring some for us along with other goodies. And Mom would always say, "Just slice and fry the Spam in a little butter. It's so good that way." Ugh!

We're not picky eaters at all but I save food like that for dire emergencies only. Fresh is how we roll.

Quite a bit of Spam stacked up in our basement and a lot went to the food shelf. It was a bit of a dilemma as I come from a family where it's considered bad form to speak ill of a gift, particularly food, and at some point if I had said anything I'd have been called upon to explain why I had accepted so many years of it before I spoke up.

Then there would have been all that moaning and gnashing of teeth about how she had "wasted" all that Spam on me and she should have been giving it to someone who would have appreciated it. Knowing how they would have responded all gifts of food would have ceased in much fuss and indignation. Didn't want that.

Moms can be like that.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:14 AM

8,093 posts, read 4,448,863 times
cabbage, and liver, and its been 36 years since i had either

Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
cabbage, and liver, and its been 36 years since i had either
But did your parents really not know you disliked them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink