U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 AM

4,024 posts, read 8,546,231 times

Advertisements

I use tap water but only after it runs through my filter system to remove the bad taste, chlorine, algae, parasites, bacteria, and other pollutants.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 01-10-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,573,986 times
I have a water distiller. I can NOT drink our tap water, and even hate cooking with it.

if i'm making pasta or rice, i will use distiller or filtered [the Brita type]
just the smell of the chlorine makes me think i DO NOT want to cook with it.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM

633 posts, read 1,614,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
I have a water distiller. I can NOT drink our tap water, and even hate cooking with it.

if i'm making pasta or rice, i will use distiller or filtered [the Brita type]
just the smell of the chlorine makes me think i DO NOT want to cook with it.
I must get a Brita system!

I love my bottled water, but even if I could just refill my bottles with filtered water I would really enjoy that.

And don't forget to recycle!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM

954 posts, read 1,433,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
I must get a Brita system!

I love my bottled water, but even if I could just refill my bottles with filtered water I would really enjoy that.

And don't forget to recycle!
I use well water which is high in iron content. I do not have the Brita system - I have two of the Brita filter pitchers that I fill up and put in the refrigerator. I love the water - no after taste, no smell. I cook with it, drink it, the pets drink it. It's great and the only cost is replacing the filters.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM

633 posts, read 1,614,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I use well water which is high in iron content. I do not have the Brita system - I have two of the Brita filter pitchers that I fill up and put in the refrigerator. I love the water - no after taste, no smell. I cook with it, drink it, the pets drink it. It's great and the only cost is replacing the filters.

When I lived in Louisiana we used well water. And now that I think back, I remember really liking the water.

Every now & then there would be black speck in it, but other than that it was great.

Brita pitchers, that's new to me!
Thanks for the idea, I'll be Ebaying now!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,520,504 times
My husband is a chemist, who owns a company that cleans up the messes we make of water -- industries, in particular. He analyzes things like bottled water, and says the claims that we are just as well-off drinking tap water are true. This is largely in terms of what is in the water, and there are some places where he refuses to drink the tap water because he knows the source, ie. downstream from sewage-treatment sites.

Taste of water matters, however. We use a pitcher on the counter to filter water from the tap, mostly for drinking, and our coffee in the mornings. He intends to install a filter for us under the counter that will do the same thing. Running your drinking water through a good filter system will improve its taste. Many filters also rid the water of a lot of impurities and chemicals.

If you ever turn on the tap, and smell a lot of chlorine, you can bet the system is being 'purged,' generally because of a break somewhere, and occasionally because the water is being tested.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 AM

4,024 posts, read 8,546,231 times
For about 10 years, I have used an under the sink system from Multi-Pure. It uses a micro filter like the above counter units, but it has it's own spigot so you have two sources of water. One is the unfiltered tap water for washing, and one is the filtered water for drinking and cooking.

I have tried Reverse Osmosis units, but they always seem to leak and maintenance is a pain. The Multi-Pure unit has one filter that should be changed every three months or so, but I have neglected it for a year or so and it still filters fine.

If you draw a glass of water from the tap spigot and a glass from the filter spigot and do a side by side taste test, the difference is obvious.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM

563 posts, read 1,130,236 times
We've lived in our current house, with city water, for 18 months and before that it was 20 years of well water. We've never had any problem drinking the tap water. If we take a fly/drive vacation, we'll stop and buy a bottle of water to keep in the car for drinking or cleanup...fill it up at our motel when it runs out.

The one reason I do buy bottled water is because I love fizz and don't always want a "coke" (generic term). I'll drink club soda or selzer so I can have the fizzzzzzzzzzzz without any flavoring.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:13 PM

77 posts, read 267,123 times
The thing about bottled water is, most of them are just bottled tap water.
You can hope that the tap water was from a safe source, but there are no regs.

Also, you do not know exactly how long it has been in that bottle. Plastic...all plastic, leeches toxins into water, so water in plastic bottles could have more (and nastier) toxins than tap water, even if it was originally bottled at a safe source.

Where I live the tap water is still reasonably ok, not like, say, Florida, so I bought an on-faucet filter, that uses screens and carbon to eliminate chlorine and filter many (but not all) of the potential nastys.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 PM

238 posts, read 562,892 times
I use regular tap water for everything. I'm just too frugal to spend money on bottled water when I already spend money on my water bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink