Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,335,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I guess a southern raised household is different. I simply tilt the pan, pour the liquid into a bowl, scrape the pan to loosen the food, add back enough liquid as called for (grease and all), add my other ingredients and go.

Same deal with red-eye gravy, bacon gravy, sausage gravy.. Never did it any other way. Even my brown mushroom gravy (or jaeger sauce) is prepared that way. All in an iron skillet.

Bacon Gravy Recipe - Food.com

[/list]
Yup, same here. Only I learned the method from an old Southern Living cookbook that I had many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
From what I've seen:
Southern method- cook the flour in the drippings;
This is by definition a roux. Flour cooked in fat.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is by definition a roux. Flour cooked in fat.
But roux is usually made with butter. A/k/a white sauce.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Not in cajun cooking...bacon fat is the more common fat. Various cuisines use various fats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roux

Old 08-12-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not in cajun cooking...bacon fat is the more common fat. Various cuisines use various fats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roux
Hmmm, that's cool, I didn't know that!
I love Cajun food, but I don't eat pork products.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 PM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
My absolute favorite duck recipe-
Duck with Maple Bourbon Gravy

Quote:

MAPLE-BOURBON GRAVY
  • Pan drippings from the duck, about 3 tablespoons
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/3 cup bourbon or whisky
  • 1/2 cup duck stock, beef stock or water
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or other hot sauce
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  1. You want 3 tablespoons of duck fat left in the pan. Spoon out extra or add some butter if you are short. Add the flour and mix well. Turn the heat to medium and cook the flour for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add the bourbon. The roux will seize up, so be ready with the stock or water. Add it, stirring all the while, to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer. Pour in the maple syrup, Tabasco, and add salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for for a minute or two. If the gravy has the right consistency, you are ready to add the cream. If it is too thick, add more stock. If it is too thin, let it boil down a bit. Once it is the consistency of Thanksgiving gravy, add the cream and cook 1 minute.
  3. Carve the ducks and give everyone some breast meat and legs. Serve with mashed potatoes, pouring the gravy over everything.
I love that- pour that gravy over EVERYTHING

Old 08-12-2015, 04:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,875,761 times
Quote:
From what I've seen:
Northern method- add water and then sprinkle the flour into it.
I would agree with this (although I don't use water.) My general method goes something like this:
-Separate juices from fat, put juices in a pot and bring to a boil. Add stock to increase volume if needed
-In a separate container, mix a small quantity of stock with thickener (flour/corn starch/potato starch/etc.)
-Add herbs/spices/flavorings to boiling juices as desired
-Add thickener mixture gradually while juices are at a rolling boil. Whisk thoroughly to prevent lumps from forming
-Allow gravy to come to a low boil and serve

Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 PM

88,160 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
From what I've seen:
Northern method- add water and then sprinkle the flour into it.
Ha, well I'm from NJ and making gravy like a southerner, then!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 PM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
I just checked my Southern cook book. White chicken gravy, red-eye gravy, bacon gravy- all call for pan drippings which includes the fat.

Interesting how regional it is.

Even Maryland fried chicken is known for its' white gravy. Maryland Fried Chicken was a staple in my household growing up. We had either ham or fried chicken on most Sundays, and the white gravy was just great. Our family used Old Bay in the recipe to season the bird, so the gravy took some of that flavor on. Pour off most of the lard, leave the fried chicken bits, add butter, flour, milk and salt and pepper.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,551,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Gravy: its used on mashed potates, chopped pork pieces, and chicken fried steak. but why? why we need it? why does it even exist?

If you even have to ask....you just wouldn't understand....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink