Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:49 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times

Advertisements

my mom was a pretty bad cook (although we all lived) and my Dad either heated leftovers up or made eggs. I have figured out my way in the kitchen on my own, starting with a stir fry pan and a big pot for spaghetti...those were seriously my only pots/pans for years. I tried making my grandmas cookies once and it worked and now I am a pretty good baker.

My wife has been forced into being a good cook, as she stays home with the kids and we generally try not to eat out during the week. She does have her Mom as a resource, though, who is a good cook. I bet her Dad has never made a meal in his life, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
A the people I know who are clueless are under 50 years old.

Which tells you something.

I am 39 and have lots of "foodie" friends from teens to oldsters. Men, women, working or SAH. Hell, every Christmas I get a bottle of salsa made by a kid since he was 9 years old. And it's delicious.

So a person of any age can learn to cook and cook well. That leads me to believe that those who don't are simply lazy. And/or their parents are lazy for not teaching them.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:34 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
if you are not using any salt and pepper to do basic seasoning of your food then ultimately you are really not producing something that has the flavor of food that was properly cooked. You are in line with the person who likes overdone noodles, burnt toast or a pound of butter in their mac'n'cheese
That's one of the the more asinine things I've ever read in the Food and Drink forum.

There are hundreds of methods and ingredients to season food other than salt and pepper. Relying on salt and pepper is rather unimaginative, actually.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:01 PM

677 posts, read 652,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's one of the the more asinine things I've ever read in the Food and Drink forum.

There are hundreds of methods and ingredients to season food other than salt and pepper. Relying on salt and pepper is rather unimaginative, actually.
Of course there are hundreds of things to use, I never said that you only use salt and pepper. However, salt and pepper are integral to virtually every single thing that you can cook. Again, go listen to top chefs, read cook books, learn in a professional kitchen, take a cooking class. Salt and Pepper are the base of everything you do in the kitchen.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
...Salt and Pepper are the base of everything you do in the kitchen.
Salt and pepper would cause a bit of brow-raising in my Baked Custard recipe.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Quote:
Salt and Pepper are the base of everything you do in the kitchen.
It could be argued that salt is , but pepper certainly isn't.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Isnt salt a flavor enhancer? I thought I was told that it pretty much enhances and makes stronger any flavor it is added to.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, that's why it's a preference. You think it tastes funny without; I don't like the taste of salt in my food unless it's there naturally.

I'm in my mid-50s, have cooked hundreds and hundreds of different meals, but I have never fried chicken. I would probably need a cookbook and a few attempts to get it right.
Yep, I've made all sorts of breads, canned, baked, made candy, pasta from scratch etc., but frying a chicken - NO.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A the people I know who are clueless are under 50 years old.

Which tells you something.

I am 39 and have lots of "foodie" friends from teens to oldsters. Men, women, working or SAH. Hell, every Christmas I get a bottle of salsa made by a kid since he was 9 years old. And it's delicious.

So a person of any age can learn to cook and cook well. That leads me to believe that those who don't are simply lazy. And/or their parents are lazy for not teaching them.
Maybe food just isn't that important to them? They eat to live, not live to eat.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe food just isn't that important to them? They eat to live, not live to eat.
Right.
That is fine.
But they still need to know how to make it.
Besides, the people I know who don't cook love to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink