Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:03 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,604,573 times

Advertisements

People like to do what they enjoy. Some people don't like to cook, some don't like to clean, some don't like to golf.

Some people do things cause it just needs done, and they try their best.(if they like doing it or not)

To answer the question, OP, yes I do. You can tell they don't taste it as they are cooking and you can tell they just don't care. And it is all fine. That is what their family likes. It gets the job done.

People who get on sites like this, and other "foodie" sites/videos, like to "take it up a notch". they enjoy it, they like to experiment, they like to please. doesn't make us right or wrong, just how we are.

There is more to food than just "food". Someone went through the trouble to make you happy, that is what is important. Even if you don't get full, I doubt it will hurt anyone to eat less and just enjoy the company and the best effort someone gave to make you happy.

NOT pointing fingers, OP. Not at all. Just something I've realized and wanted to share.

I think Valentines day is getting to me. For f--- sake someone get me a beer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,561,718 times
Cooking is a dying art/skill. When I was a kid, everyone made homemade everything. It was really unbelievable, looking back. We took it for granted. Now, if someone makes a cake from a mix, that's spectacular.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,917,596 times
My daughter-in-law can do take out real good. Our son does all the cooking and she cleans the kitchen.

My daughter cannot cook, no interest whatsoever in learning. My son-in-law cooks in their home.

I have sent simple, easy recipes to our daughter and she can screw those up.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,659,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Cooking is a dying art/skill. When I was a kid, everyone made homemade everything. It was really unbelievable, looking back. We took it for granted. Now, if someone makes a cake from a mix, that's spectacular.
It is not a dying art.....dramatic much?

Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,188,604 times
I guess this can be taken personally for some people. I know I take it personally when someone insults my food; that's why I'm careful to flavor things just right. I always hope people enjoy it and wouldn't mind critique to make it taste better. All people's tastes are different. I tend to like a lot of salt, but I've learned to add very little as I'm cooking because you can't take it back once you've added too much (like hot sauce).

Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,170,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
They had to, nothing else. But someone must not have liked it or everyone would still be doing it.

I made a cake from scratch yesterday because didn't have a mix. It was easy thanks to my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I can't imagine doing that using a spoon. Even a electric hand mixer is a pain.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,181,564 times
I think the popularity Food Network, Top Chef, Iron Chef, etc are indicative of the fact that cooking isn't a dying art; if anything, I think cooking is experiencing a revival. But, in contrast to years ago, cooking has become more of an event, rather than just something that needed to be done for survival; something to savor and appreciate a couple of days per week, instead of being a weeknight chore.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 PM

24,206 posts, read 16,893,747 times
Some people cook out of neccesity some do it for fun and some do it for others, some could care less. It all comes down to trying and wanting to do it. It is easy to follow a recipe and the only reason you couldn't is because you don't want to.

I know a person that doesn't cook because she knows it won't be fantastic so she doesn't bother.

I like to cook on occasion and my wife is a good cook. I guess I'm lucky.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 PM

36,964 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I knew someone who cooked every day but didn't have any measuring spoons or measuring cups. She would use mixes for lots of things but even for that to come out decent, you have to be able to measure the things you add to the mix. I couldn't understand why she was so proud of never measuring anything, it just didn't make sense.
It's amazing how close you can come to actual measurements without using a measuring cup or spoon. Most dishes do not need that level of precision (though I admit I usually do measure - mainly because the results are more uniform each time you make the dish.)

My mother was a typical Southern cook, having learned from her mother, making mostly basic meat and vegetables. She was also a great baker. I can cook meat and vegetables and have them taste the way she made them. I have been less successful with the baking, despite the religious use of the measuring tools. One thing I never learned was how to make buttermilk biscuits, specifically because she did not measure the flour. She sifted flour into a wooden bowl, made a well in the center of the flour, added the leavening (measured) and buttermilk (measured), then incorporated the flour until the dough was the way she liked it. rolled it out, cut the biscuit rounds, baked 'em, and the result was light, fluffy, melt in your mouth goodness!

Some wonderful stories here:

The Baking Circle Community | King Arthur Flour

What amazes me is baking in a wood fired oven, determining the right temperature by checking with your hand and maintaining an even temperature by knowing when to add more wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I made a cake from scratch yesterday because didn't have a mix. It was easy thanks to my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I can't imagine doing that using a spoon. Even a electric hand mixer is a pain.
I remember watching my grandmother incorporate butter into sugar for a cake just using her fingers, pinching and pinching and pinching, rubbing them together between her fingers.

Similar to this:

http://food52.com/blog/9923-how-to-c...ithout-a-mixer

Baking before the electric mixer required some muscle strength!

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 02-13-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,181,564 times
It's funny because I don't really measure either, except with baking sometimes. I've always just sort of eyeballed the amounts and went by the flavor and texture to decide if it needs more or less. And, since I've always had small kitchens, I never really had the room for many of small appliances either; I've pretty always used old school manual gadgets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's amazing how close you can come to actual measurements without using a measuring cup or spoon. Most dishes do not need that level of precision (though I admit I usually do measure - mainly because the results are more uniform each time you make the dish.)

My mother was a typical Southern cook, having learned from her mother, making mostly basic meat and vegetables. She was also a great baker. I can cook meat and vegetables and have them taste the way she made them. I have been less successful with the baking, despite the religious use of the measuring tools. One thing I never learned was how to make buttermilk biscuits, specifically because she did not measure the flour. She sifted flour into a wooden bowl, made a well in the center of the flour, added the leavening (measured) and buttermilk (measured), then incorporated the flour until the dough was the way she liked it. rolled it out, cut the biscuit rounds, baked 'em, and the result was light, fluffy, melt in your mouth goodness!

Some wonderful stories here:

[URL="http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/baking-without-measuring"]The Baking Circle Community | King Arthur Flour[/URL]

What amazes me is baking in a wood fired oven, determining the right temperature by checking with your hand and maintaining an even temperature by knowing when to add more wood!

I remember watching my grandmother incorporate butter into sugar for a cake just using her fingers, pinching and pinching and pinching, rubbing them together between her fingers.

Similar to this:

[url=http://food52.com/blog/9923-how-to-cream-butter-and-sugar-without-a-mixer]How to Cream Butter and Sugar By Hand - Baking Tips[/url]

Baking before the electric mixer required some muscle strength!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink