Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My sons are AWESOME cooks. They make both basic and some pretty intricate dishes, and they do them all well.

Regarding the bolded comment about females....why single out females?

I can tell you why THIS female did not cook for some years...I was working 3 jobs at one point, so no time.

Also....I don't LIKE to cook. I am perfectly fine with a bowl of cereal and a cup of yogurt for dinner. So WHY would I go through a lot of time, work, and trouble to make something else? It's not FUN for me. WILL I cook? Sure, for holidays. And I do it well then. But I don't LIKE it.
Why single out females? I think we all know why...but it would be too easy to tar him with the other side of the brush he uses to bad mouth 'the younger generation .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
I know a few people who have no clue how to cook. Almost all of them are single, and I have some sympathy for them since it is harder to cook for just one person. The rest just don't like cooking, and let their partner do the cooking (my wife is sort of in this category )

I don't think it has anything to do with age, I know many younger people who are very good cooks and I'm sure will become great as they gain more experience. Anyways - isn't the big complaint about Millennials that they're all "foodies" who only shop at Whole Food? I don't see how those two things match up, other than "Get off my lawn!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's the guy thing. Give them a grill or a cast iron pan and they can produce some edible food. Minus that, you could starve waiting the next meal.
The vast majority of guys who only grill really don't have a clue what they're doing. At best they're barely competent grillers, and usually they're just ruining good meat. I dread being invited to a few friends BBQs because they walk around calling themselves something stupid like "grillmasters", and they can't even produce consistently cooked burgers. If you can't cook well on an easily controllable stove top why would you be able to produce good food from a more unpredictable grill?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
People just doesn't like or care to cook. I find that those are the ones that just halfheartedly throw stuff together and call it good.

I remember going to a house where we were cooking together a big meal for everyone. We "split" up duties in the kitchen and one lady didn't like to cook and said she will take the easiest thing, beans.

She opened 4 cans of black beans, dumped into a pot and called it done. One of the other ladies said it needed onions, garlic etc. The lady grimaced and said she doesn't like all that stuff but will put in an onion. I kid you not, she went over to another lady who was chopping onions, got a single ring of onion and put it in the pot. She said she will let it cook for a bit and then pull it out.

As she walked away, we made another pot of beans.

I don't even bother saying anything honestly.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's the guy thing. Give them a grill or a cast iron pan and they can produce some edible food. Minus that, you could starve waiting the next meal.
My husband is about 10x the cook that I am. We married when he was 41, and he'd been living on his own for years, much of that time on foreign military bases. He learned pretty quickly that if he learned to cook from scratch, he had a lot more take-home pay. Learning to cook in other countries, using local ingredients, made him quite versatile. For him, being thrifty and creative led to developing some sweet culinary skills.

Being a goid cook has everything to do with your level of motivation and interest in becoming a good cook. Some don't have the inclination.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
I would never approach someone and tell them that they are a bad cook. I actually did this once and I was really embarrassed. I was just making a critique and I thought her and I were closer than that. But it was like a record scratched. So never again. I figure things will just take their course naturally, like people won't eat their food, or request someone else to cook (usually me), which is fine because I love it. I'm one of those who started pretending to cook as a kid and made my first meal at age 11 so it's something I gravitate towards.

However it would be nice if my husband wanted to learn to cook. That way if i'm down two weeks from the flu he could jump in and whip up a casserole or something. (He gets lost in the kitchen).

Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I love cooking and learning new recipes and getting them to taste just right and watch people enjoy them.

My sister-in-laws idea of deviled eggs is to boil them, cut them in half and put them on a plate. She doesn't even put salt and pepper on them. Another sister-in-law doesn't add salt (or any seasoning) to her dishes when she cooks. As food cooks, it needs salt and other seasonings throughout the process or else the flavors don't develop. I end up over-salting her food and it just tastes like salty bland food.

These guys make me look like Julia Childs. Or maybe they are just smart; being purposefully bad cooks they are never asked to prepare anything.
Well, there are personal preferences, but I've known too darned many people in recent years who are clueless about preparing food. And I'm mainly referring to the older generations. I guess they were simply never taught how to do anything. One example was a guy in his mid-fifties who searched for me throughout the day because he needed me to instruct him on how to fry a piece of chicken.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
I don't think my mom really knows how to cook.
She is a bad cook, that is for certain. However she does such weird things that I don't think she really understands how cooking works. Her latest thing is to "sauté" vegetables by nuking them into flaccidity in the microwave and then pouring olive oil over the end result. My dad is similarly clueless. He can grill a burger but he can barely even make a sandwich.

This rubbed off on my younger brother and sister. My sister just doesn't care, and only eats macaroni and cheese with peas in it. My brother thinks he knows what he is doing and concocts such vile stuff. The last time I visited him, he put pepperoni, fake crab meat and cabbage into a frying pan, turned the flame up, then just left it there unwatched as he played guitar, cleaned up his room, and took a dump. Came back, poured balsamic vinegar over the whole thing, and then ate it? UGH.
My older sister is a very good cook, but she moved overseas.

It's ****ed up and consequently I hate eating with my family.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:55 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think the younger generation is pretty clueless about cooking. To me, it is laziness and/or lack of interest. My sons have had 3 wives and none of them could cook. I do not get how come females these days can't or won't cook. IMO, if you can read, you can cook, so it's just laziness.
Do your son's wives work all day? If they do, they are hardly lazy.

I'd like to know why it was acceptable when I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s for husbands to come home after a hard day of work and be expected to relax.

Yet, women now come home after a hard day of work and are expected to keep on working until they drop into bed exhausted.

I'd be curious to know what you envision your sons doing while their wives are cooking. They must be doing something important if they are exempt (in your mind) from having to cook.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree about salt. Food tastes funny without saly added in the cooking process.
Well, that's why it's a preference. You think it tastes funny without; I don't like the taste of salt in my food unless it's there naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
One example was a guy in his mid-fifties who searched for me throughout the day because he needed me to instruct him on how to fry a piece of chicken.
I'm in my mid-50s, have cooked hundreds and hundreds of different meals, but I have never fried chicken. I would probably need a cookbook and a few attempts to get it right.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
My mother had a two elderly cousins who lived together all their lives and couldn't cook. They said their mother had been an expert cook but would not let them into the kitchen.

My mother was like that to some extent--expert cook but didn't want any competition. I kind of spied and asked questions though, tried to help--so I picked up some cooking secrets. But when I got married that's when I got a bunch of cookbooks and taught myself to really cook.

If you've never seen anyone cook, it must be really hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink