Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times

Advertisements

I love cooking and learning new recipes and getting them to taste just right and watch people enjoy them.

My sister-in-laws idea of deviled eggs is to boil them, cut them in half and put them on a plate. She doesn't even put salt and pepper on them. Another sister-in-law doesn't add salt (or any seasoning) to her dishes when she cooks. As food cooks, it needs salt and other seasonings throughout the process or else the flavors don't develop. I end up over-salting her food and it just tastes like salty bland food.

These guys make me look like Julia Childs. Or maybe they are just smart; being purposefully bad cooks they are never asked to prepare anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:01 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think the younger generation is pretty clueless about cooking. To me, it is laziness and/or lack of interest. My sons have had 3 wives and none of them could cook. I do not get how come females these days can't or won't cook. IMO, if you can read, you can cook, so it's just laziness.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I guess some people just don't like cooking and have no interest in learning. Personally, I think everyone (male and female) should be capable of putting a decent meal on the table. There's really no excuse not to.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:10 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
My spouse was not a cook. He could grill meats, and he could make pancakes, gravy and scrambled eggs. He simply had no interest in cooking.

As for salt, that's a personal preference and has nothing to do with one's ability to cook. I don't add salt to food, unless I'm baking.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think the younger generation is pretty clueless about cooking. To me, it is laziness and/or lack of interest. My sons have had 3 wives and none of them could cook. I do not get how come females these days can't or won't cook. IMO, if you can read, you can cook, so it's just laziness.
It has nothing to do with the younger generation. I know teenagers and 20 somethings that are phenomenal cooks and I know women in their fifties and sixties that can't boil an egg and men of that generation that that cooking is beneath them and little wifey needs to do it.

Does that mean your generation is lazy? I don't get how any person no matter their gender chooses not to know how to cook the basics....but it happens.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
who taught you to cook?

i do well with cooking but my mother also showed me lots of things in the kitchen growing up

Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My spouse was not a cook. He could grill meats, and he could make pancakes, gravy and scrambled eggs. He simply had no interest in cooking.

As for salt, that's a personal preference and has nothing to do with one's ability to cook. I don't add salt to food, unless I'm baking.
I disagree about salt. Food tastes funny without saly added in the cooking process.

As for people not carimg? I think it comes from not having "role models" aka people around them do not cook so they aren't in the habit and do not have experience with it.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

It's the guy thing. Give them a grill or a cast iron pan and they can produce some edible food. Minus that, you could starve waiting the next meal.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
I can cook spaghetti, steak, super easy stuff. I absolutely despise cooking though. Do I get a little sense of accomplishment? Yes, but the process of cooking kind of ruins my appetite. My grandma is the same way. She won't even eat her own cooking. My mother and father don't cook, so I never picked up on it. I would appreciate having a partner that doesn't mind cooking though. I don't mind a chore or two to make up for it.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Both of my sons are great cooks.. They take after their old man....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink