Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,206,596 times

Advertisements

I do a "semi-fasting" diet 2 work days a week so just fruit and yogurt for breakfast and no lunch. The other days I usually bring in a light frozen dinner or maybe get a salad. Either of those choices is about half of what a full-blown cafeteria meal would be. I'd bring leftover but I eat those for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times
I bring lunch and maybe would get a soda, that's it. Maybe after work but that is a bit different...

Old 02-29-2016, 07:30 PM

189 posts, read 175,360 times
I don't eat anything during lunch. I used to eat an apple or a banana and some coffee/water, but these days I don't bother with that. It does take a few days for your stomach to realize lunch isn't coming anymore, but after that it just accepts life and doesn't complain. No lunch = no prep time, no hunger before lunch, no sleepy feeling after lunch, free time to do something else (work out/read/run errand). Plus it makes it possible to work through lunch without ill effects.

Edit: I do eat a good breakfast/dinner though.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,205,176 times
I bring lunch to work. We used to have this amazing salad bar at work but things change and they use it for salad items that I don't like much. I eat maybe 2 or more cups of raw spinach, raw carrots, celery, many times nuts of some kind, an orange or some Tangerines, maybe some strawberries, grapes, or something like that. Always have water with that and all my other meals. Sometimes I will toss in some granola bars.

Maybe once every couple weeks the cafeteria serves roasted turkey. Funny thing is that they have these turkey legs that they would not sell. One time the turkey showed up with a leg and I asked for that leg. The chef told me that they were tossing the legs as it was not on the menu. Someone saw me with one of the legs and they wanted one. Now they sell out all of the legs and I could not be happier that the meat is going to a good place. LOL

Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,874,353 times
I'd say it's about 50/50 for me. I prefer to bring leftovers for lunch, but I often don't have any on hand. My workplace is affiliated with a restaurant onsite, so we get half off if we order from there. And there are dozens of dining options within a few blocks' walk. I never bring prepackaged "frozen dinner" type foods--its either something I made or something from a restaurant.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 PM

96 posts, read 77,711 times
I bring my lunch more often than not. But there are times when I'll eat lunch out 3 or 4 days in a week. Lunch out doesn't make or break my diet or my wallet, so it's more about what I feel like eating. Which, most of the time, is whatever I brought from home

Old 03-01-2016, 01:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,007,368 times
Neither.

The hubs has one of his bussers run lunch down to me from his restaurant.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 PM

560 posts, read 845,203 times
I've done a complete about-face from my habits of 3+ years ago. Back then I was making much better money and working a salaried position, so very often ordered delivery. Then I came to my senses after 13 years with the company and figured out the stress and no home life was killing me. Now I'm an hourly employee who tends bring leftovers for lunch. The occasional time I do eat out it's appreciated much more now.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:06 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,526,287 times
Rarely go out to eat or even to pick something up during lunch. I'll order in with a couple colleagues a few times a month at most. Usually I bring my lunch - a frozen meal, leftovers, something I prepped just for lunch, or snacky stuff like fruit and nuts. In the good weather I love eating lunch outside - even right near my building - it's a good break.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,252,143 times
I used to eat out all of the time, until I wanted to lose weight.

I started cooking at home and then realized that I saved tons of money in the process.

Now, I rarely eat out. And when I do eat out, I find that my weight creeps up, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink