U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:07 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,151,322 times

Advertisements

I bought some ready to eat food from an east Indian grocery store. It is called 'Paneer Makhani'. It is a spiced tomato puree with chunks of cottage cheese. It says on the package that it is made of 100% natural ingredients. I heated some up and put it over toast and it was very tasty. But I wonder about the sanity laws etc. in India. Do you think that there might be a risk of some sort in eating packaged things from India? Besides being very tasty it was real quick and convenient to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:16 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,416,434 times
Is it made by a company called "Tasty Bite"? If so, I've never had a problem with it.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:24 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I bought some ready to eat food from an east Indian grocery store. It is called 'Paneer Makhani'. It is a spiced tomato puree with chunks of cottage cheese. It says on the package that it is made of 100% natural ingredients. I heated some up and put it over toast and it was very tasty. But I wonder about the sanity laws etc. in India. Do you think that there might be a risk of some sort in eating packaged things from India? Besides being very tasty it was real quick and convenient to make.
Food coming into the US has to pass safety requirements......why would you think that it's unsafe?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
Tasty Bite has been selling food in the US for at least a decade and a half and it's totally safe... they were a staple during my college and early working years and I usually had a couple packs of them in my cupboard for nights when I was too tired, drunk, or stoned to cook a full meal.

I also would bring a few packs on road trips; I'd heat them by putting them on the exhaust manifold of my car Good times. They can be eaten cold/room temperature too, since they're pre-cooked, but taste better hot.

Tasty Bite aside, I've had frozen meals, samosas, etc by companies like Deep that were made in India and have never gotten sick. I also have some Indian-made spice packs that I use to cook Indian meals here at home. Never gotten sick.

Indian food products are made to a pretty high standard, and for sure, all of them that are allowed into the US have to go through USDA/FDA inspection and approval and are as safe as anything you'd get that was made here.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM

65 posts, read 190,473 times
I've eaten international foods for years without any problems. Sometimes the foods are actually made in the US. Even if not, as with any food, check the expiration, cook according to the package and it should be fine. Having lived in Kuwait, Turkey, England, and Germany, I can honestly say the only times I've ever had food poisoning was at restaurants where I live in Texas. So being in the US is no guarantee of food safety.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:32 PM

3,098 posts, read 1,464,990 times
We always have Deep's Udupi frozen dosas on hand. They're great for snacks and we've never had an issue with them.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,480,858 times
Am I the only one seeing the irony in someone asking if food from another country is safe? With the additives added to food in the US that are banned in the rest of the world maybe we should be worrying more about American manufactured food.

And in answer to the OP, I wouldn't have a problem using any packaged goods from India, I regularly use a flour mix and most of my spices come from Indian stores.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Is it made by a company called "Tasty Bite"? If so, I've never had a problem with it.
Tasty Bite and Kitchens of India are staples in my house. I have eaten both for years and find the food to be of very high quality, with healthy whole-food ingredients.

I am not skilled at properly duplicating Indian spice combinations from scratch, so these are life savers for me. I use them as a base added to my own veggies and meats, in order to get the flavor profiles right. They can be eaten alone as-is, but I ad a lot of bulk veggies to stretch it further. I will make 4 meal servings out of 1 meal pack.

Tasty Bite is now sold at Costco in 2 varieties.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Food coming into the US has to pass safety requirements......why would you think that it's unsafe?
HUH??? Who is checking? FDA?
You should be more worried about food made in the USA.

I often buy food imported from India. Never had any problems. Rice is excellent.
Just don't buy the cheapest stuff.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:59 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Although food poisoning in India is legendary, and having had Delhi belly in New Delhi myself, that really seems to be a result of the public sanitation issues in India. (According to the UN, India is the world's least toilet-secure large country. Around 53% of India’s huge population still defecate in the open, and have no access to a private toilet. In addition, that is not dealt with by any sewer system).

However - the dilemma is that Indian food is some of the best and probably the most flavorful food in the world. So you've got a packaged food meal (ready to heat and serve) - and you are concerned about the production facilities. I understand that, as I think anyone who had been to India a number of times would. (I remember being told at one place in Bangalore to keep my mouth closed when showering).

so....
1).The comments by people above about dry staples such as spices and rice are irrelevant to your question - ignore them - no-one expects you will get ill from such.
2). The factory production facilities in India for food export products are generally good and the same as many other countries in practice. I wouldn't worry about it. They wouldn't be selling much if people got sick from eating it anyway. Go ahead and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or