U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 AM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post

If you have the time, or children who like arts and crafts, make the pomaders for your closets -- all you need is an orange, whole cloves and a ribbon. Push the cloves into the orange, until you have it covered, and secure the ribbon, loop-style, to hang it.

So how long does one orange last? Do you literally have every bit of orange filled with a clove, or do you still see some of the peel? That sounds like a lot of cloves!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
We've had the same odor problem when frying cod. Fish scent permeates everything for at least a week. We tried everything to rid ourselves of the odor to no avail.

Now we fry fish in an electric skillet outside on our porch. Solved that problem.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,387,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about some open boxes of baking soda?
Hmm... I can't imagine the quantity that would be necessary to make an impact at this point... but thanks... I do use baking soda/vinegar to clean.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
If it smells like fish, it's not fresh. Anyway, I've heard lemon. Squeeze lemons into a spray bottle and add warm water. Spray this around your house (like you would with Fabreze) to make surfaces damp. Lemon is a great natural deodorizer.
Hi Lisa -

Thanks for your concern. I have such a queasy stomach, that had it been bad, it surely would have made me ill & I'd have noticed beforehand. I swear the difference was not cooking with onions this time. Also, I eat a lot of fish, but not haddock... so perhaps one of the online chefs will chime in & let me know if this is a haddock-y thing...

Amazingly, 75% of the aroma is gone today - 4-days later. Another oddity is, the only room not affected by the smell is the one room that has a humidifier on 24/7. It poured rain all day today, so perhaps the humidity has something to do with eliminating odor? Again, the chefs will know, I think. Call to all online chefs... where are you guys?

I don't use any commercial cleaners, as I can't breathe... so the lemon might help me out as a room freshener, on a regular basis.

Thank you... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
In a small pot, I put 1 apple, 1 orange, (add a lemon if you've had fish) cinnamon or cinnamon sticks, a little vanilla extract and cover with water.
Hi Pocono -

I do something similar & since I live in Boston & have heat on high continuously for the majority of the year, I have a "steaming" pot on the stove most everyday for humidification purposes. When I lived in NEPA, we placed water in every room, on every heat source... it's necessary with the dry mountain air.

I live in a small apartment (700sf), so the steam does get through to every room. Amazing that condensation will be on windows 3-rooms away from the kitchen.

Thank you. I love natural ideas... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I also found a commercial product in one of our local ACE hardware stores, called Fresh Wave. I have used the crystals (jelly-like) and really like the clean scent of the product. The ingredients listed include natural extracts of lime, pine needles, aniseed, clove, cedarwood and soya. When I bought it, I thought it a tad pricey, but it lasts for over three months. I leave the jar of crystals out on the buffet.
Hi RDS -

Thank you very much. Sorry to hear about puppy, but, they're like big, ol' loveable bears & sometimes forget they don't live in the woods.

I checked Fresh Wave out online & there are several stores that carry this nearby... more convenient for me as I'll get a chance to "sample" it to ensure I can breathe around it. I brought a wreath home one year & forget which type of tree it was (spruce, perhaps?), but I sadly had to give it away as it gave me asthma. May I ask, do you smell it all the time, like fresh potpouri in a room? In other words, does it add fragrance or subtract aromas?

Quote:
Fish can be pretty strong, and can last a while.
I normally smell fried fish the following day... slightly. This is the first time it was absolutely intrusive & permeated my entire closet & apartment. Okay, there is one good thing... it tasted great!

Quote:
...make the pomaders for your closets -- all you need is an orange, whole cloves and a ribbon. Push the cloves into the orange, until you have it covered, and secure the ribbon, loop-style, to hang it.
I think I should be okay. Again, with breathing problems/migraines, I try to avoid anything with scent, don't ever have a rug as it just traps "stuff", no scented candles, no incense, no potpourri, no sprays... I like my clothing to smell like my perfume. Can't tell you how long it took me to find one that doesn't choke me. Good gift idea though. My mom uses pine needles in little homemade pillows. She swears it helps her to sleep better, too.

I've been thinking, for health reasons, to learn to bake fish rather than fry it. Perhaps this is my incentive.

Thank you for your reply... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Are you sure the odor is really on your clothes?
Hi Freddy... Yep. No one will talk to me... except that weird guy who walks around my neighborhood muttering to birds about politics & always smells like garlic & turpentine. Today he told me I smell.

Quote:
Can anyone else smell it?
The parade of 2-dozen kittens staring in my 3rd floor window seem to be noticing something...

Quote:
Sometimes I get an odor "stuck in my nose" and it won't go away for days, but I am the only one who can smell it.
Seriously, in pre-med & holistic classes I learned about this happening more often to people who have migraines, sinus infections/inflammation and/or post nasal drip. The build-up of mucus, which traps bacteria, is what the "unknown smell" comes from. Most often it's cigarette smoke that people smell, even though they are around no smokers. If you use a neti pot (or substitute a child's sippee cup or nasal irrigator) to wash out the nasal passages, you won't have that after 1-2 wks. If you've sinus headaches, you may even find they lessen/stop.

It's an Ayurvedic yoga technique & if you find it tough to master, you can "breathe" water in/out of the nose while in the shower, although it's not nearly as effective. It can be a bit uncomfortable/tricky at first, but once you get used to it, you feel like you need to do it, like brushing your teeth in the morning. The water must be cut with sodium/saline so it won't sting the nasal tissue. With me, it's normally cigarette smoke I smell... usually when I'm getting a sinus headache. It lasts for 3-4 days & is maddening. Once I begin irrigating again, I'm fine in 1-1/2 weeks & if I keep it up, I don't get "the smell" at all.

Google nasal irrigation or neti pot. You can even find message boards with poor souls who think they're insane, because they're walking around looking for the cigarette smoke for days & no one else in the household can smell it. It used to wake me up at night, smelling cigarettes. Well, that's when I was having post nasal drip... They're not crazy, they have blocked sinuses/built up bacteria.

Good luck... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
The answer to this is simple -- don't cook your fish. SUSHI FOR EVERYONE!!
Oh, leave it to a fiesty redhead to stir up trouble... A roamin' one, no less... You must be one of my cousins...

I love sushi. Buy it at Whole Foods when I have a spare $30 to spend on fish & rice. It's great, just $$$ in Boston. Why, I don't know. I live 3-blocks from the bloody ocean. Geesh...

I've been looking it up online (eating raw fish, that is) & what I've seen is just about turning me off eating sushi ever again. I suppose no food is completely "clean" today... but this info was scary. Ah, well... for now at least, my only "meat" is fish, so cooking it shall be. Maybe baked en papillote with lemon it shall be from now on... Where are all those online chefs when I need them?

Have fun... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Lemon scented candles work great. PartyLite offers a really great one. The consultant probably can tell you exactly which one to get.
Hi Nic -

Thank you. I have asthma, can't use scented candles, but it's a nice gift idea. I'll check out the store... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
We've had the same odor problem when frying cod. Fish scent permeates everything for at least a week. We tried everything to rid ourselves of the odor to no avail.

Now we fry fish in an electric skillet outside on our porch. Solved that problem.
Hi Beth -

Since it poured rain today & we're expecting 6" of snow this weekend... perhaps outdoor cooking shall have to wait... until I move westward... You lucky lass... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink