U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM

187 posts, read 557,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hi Freddy... Yep. No one will talk to me... except that weird guy who walks around my neighborhood muttering to birds about politics & always smells like garlic & turpentine. Today he told me I smell.

The parade of 2-dozen kittens staring in my 3rd floor window seem to be noticing something...

Seriously, in pre-med & holistic classes I learned about this happening more often to people who have migraines, sinus infections/inflammation and/or post nasal drip. The build-up of mucus, which traps bacteria, is what the "unknown smell" comes from. Most often it's cigarette smoke that people smell, even though they are around no smokers. If you use a neti pot (or substitute a child's sippee cup or nasal irrigator) to wash out the nasal passages, you won't have that after 1-2 wks. If you've sinus headaches, you may even find they lessen/stop.

It's an Ayurvedic yoga technique & if you find it tough to master, you can "breathe" water in/out of the nose while in the shower, although it's not nearly as effective. It can be a bit uncomfortable/tricky at first, but once you get used to it, you feel like you need to do it, like brushing your teeth in the morning. The water must be cut with sodium/saline so it won't sting the nasal tissue. With me, it's normally cigarette smoke I smell... usually when I'm getting a sinus headache. It lasts for 3-4 days & is maddening. Once I begin irrigating again, I'm fine in 1-1/2 weeks & if I keep it up, I don't get "the smell" at all.

Google nasal irrigation or neti pot. You can even find message boards with poor souls who think they're insane, because they're walking around looking for the cigarette smoke for days & no one else in the household can smell it. It used to wake me up at night, smelling cigarettes. Well, that's when I was having post nasal drip... They're not crazy, they have blocked sinuses/built up bacteria.

Good luck... VV
Oh my gosh, you made my day with the cats in the window, Thanks I needed that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,387,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
Oh my gosh, you made my day with the cats in the window, Thanks I needed that!!
Hi Laurbell -

Ahh, well, if you want a good laugh... find a kitten... little spider monkeys that they are!

Cyberhugs to you for your challenging day... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post

Most often it's cigarette smoke that people smell, even though they are around no smokers. If you use a neti pot (or substitute a child's sippee cup or nasal irrigator) to wash out the nasal passages, you won't have that after 1-2 wks.
Yes, I smell cigarette smoke frequently and nobody has smoked in this house for at least 15 years. Recently I have been smelling some kind of solvent like odor. My wife doesn't smell it.

Your mention of the neti pot was really a flashback for me. I used to be into that stuff years ago, but haven't thought about it for years. I don't have migrains or sinus problems, but I used to do it during allergy season to rinse out the pollens.

I must have stink boogers stuck somewhere in my nasal passages that are making me smell these strange odors. I'll bet the garden hose would flush them out.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:46 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,387,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
...that are making me smell these strange odors. I'll bet the garden hose would flush them out.
Ah, Freddy... perhaps a gentler approach might work best... & indoors... don't want to frighten the neighbors...

Although I did awaken to a bright sunny day last weekend, opened up the blinds to take in the view from the 3rd floor & my neighbor directly across from me was on his 3rd floor deck, smoking & "loosing lunch" over the railing into his yard. Well, good morning to me... Must have been a tough Friday evening for the lad.

I sometimes forget things that can help me, too... until I am in need of them later. Enjoy your weekend... VV

Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,286,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Lemon scented candles work great. PartyLite offers a really great one. The consultant probably can tell you exactly which one to get.
PartyLite is a catalog company. You can order online - you can order through a consultant - you can have a party and invite others......kinda like Tupperware. I think the scent they have thats really great for this is called Lemongrass. A consultant will be able to tell you for sure.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,338 times
If you can go to a pet store and pick up some activated charcola and set it out in bowles arond your house and in the back of your wardrobe ( set it up high if you hvae any kiddies, or furry babies very messy to pick up)

Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times
Cook your fish on an outdoor grill while doors and windows to the house are closed. Always works.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,999,503 times
I live in a 700 sqft loft in NYC, and have a ritual before I cook any meats (fish, beef, chicken). Its all about airflow and circulation for us. This does not completely eliminate odors, but its gone before the night is over.

1) Open the windows. Turn on two box fans blowing air outwards
2) Turn on fans in our loft area, and close closet doors
3) Light unscented candles upstairs and downstairs
4) Open the front door; increase overall circulation

That being said, we've accpeted the fact that we can't cook certain items. This includes
> Pan searing steak, especially fatty steaks because of the smoke, like skirt
> Really oily fish (sardines)
> Anything blackened

Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM

29,745 posts, read 26,770,148 times
My thought would be just to go out and eat at Red Lobster or Long John Silvers and avoid cooking fish at home. Anytime my wife cooks it I have to leave the house, so needless to say there isnt much fish cooked at home.

Id try a little toaster oven or the hotplate burner outside before Id cook inside these days, and let the neighbors enjoy the odor.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
If you can go to a pet store and pick up some activated charcola and set it out in bowles arond your house and in the back of your wardrobe ( set it up high if you hvae any kiddies, or furry babies very messy to pick up)
Oh my i need to stop doing this so late at night or at least get spell check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink