Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I was unsure if I should post this under House or Food, but since it relates to cooking fish, here I am...

I fried 1 medium-sized piece of haddock in olive oil 3-days ago... you'd think it was only minutes ago. I have never experienced such a lingering & unbelievably strong fish aroma before. For those who will ask, the fish wasn't spoiled, it was great... no fishy wrapping papers left behind in the trash... everything cleaned immediately after cooking (pan, dishes, stovetop)... no kidding... before I ate it, I cleaned.

Two rooms away from the kitchen is one closet... all my clothes smell like fish (some lightly, some VERY strong), even though the door to that room was closed when I cooked. I went outside today, kept wondering why every person in every house I passed at 8am was cooking fish & ouch... it was my leather jacket & pants. I returned home, changed, sprayed myself most liberally with perfume, went outside again... fish smell... oops, my cotton jacket, pants & leather purse. I think I saw 1/2-dozen cats excitedly following me, eyes a-glowin'... Okay, I didn't see them... but I know they were there, waiting for me to trip... vixens.

When I returned home, smelling like an aquarium, I changed again & noticed that even my shoes & slippers smelled of fish. I have 2 huge piles of clothes that need to be rewashed, because the smell is so strong, the clothes are unwearable... & I haven't even gone through the whole closet yet. I'm currently wearing a shirt that smells like fish, because I can't find one that doesn't... unless I climb through a window into a neighbor's house. Okay, the bad part? I have 3 more closets of jackets/clothes including lots of clothing that needs dry-cleaning & I've yet to find the bravery to open the closet doors, because I don't want to wail like a banshee all evening & scare the gaggle of cats I know followed me home, waiting to pounce... Note to self: Begin eating beef again... pronto!

We've had unseasonably warm weather (almost 60 in Boston in Jan!), so I have had the windows open for 4-hrs each day... no change, not even a little. In fact, I had the windows & deck door open when I cooked, to let the aroma escape. Hahaha to me...

What's my problem? I mean besides the fact that my expensive perfume is over-powered by me... wreaking of Boston Harbor? My problem is I have asthma/migraines & can't use room freshners or heavy sprays/chemicals/cleaners. As fish is regularly cooked in my home, the smell may be noticed slightly the day afterwards, but even without room freshners... that's it & then it's gone. I also don't know what to clean, save clothing. Meaning... the walls, furniture don't smell like fish. It's as if it's hanging in the air & on my clothes.

The only thing that differs in this scenario is... I always fry onions with fish & this is the only time I didn't. Can onions possibly absorb that much fish aroma?! If so, does anyone have the phone number for Vidalia, GA so that I may punch it into speed dial on my cell & order up a whole hoop of onions to be delivered?! Does anyone have any non-asthmatic-inducing ways to counteract the problem? Suggestions? Comments? No, not comments like "Hey, you remind me of my goldfish..." Geesh.

I think it's best I stay indoors until I have a solution. Please take your time... I have loads of laundry to do...

Thank you... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I've heard that setting out open bowls of white vinegar will remove odors like fish.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've heard that setting out open bowls of white vinegar will remove odors like fish.
Hi Miu -

Thanks for replying. Someone mentioned boiling a pot of water with vinegar in it, but they weren't sure it would do anything. I think it will chase me out of the house... The only thing that smells worse than fish... is vinegar. Seriously, I was thinking it would just make my house smell like fish and vinegar. Kind of like when people spray room freshner. It only adds, doesn't subtract.

I wonder if I washed everything down in the kitchen with vinegar/water if that would help? I'm trying to figure out what the smell is coming from? Floor? Appliances? Nothing feels greasy.

Okay, I don't have any vinegar, so tomorrow I'll get some & give it a try. I'll try boiling it first, leave the windows open again if it's not raining too hard & I'll let you know how it turns out. I could always make pickles if I end up with too much vinegary hot water. He haw...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
What about some open boxes of baking soda?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
If it smells like fish, it's not fresh. Anyway, I've heard lemon. Squeeze lemons into a spray bottle and add warm water. Spray this around your house (like you would with Fabreze) to make surfaces damp. Lemon is a great natural deodorizer.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
In a small pot, I put 1 apple, 1 orange, (add a lemon if you've had fish) cinnamon or cinnamon sticks, a little vanilla extract and cover with water. Cook on low heat. This is the only air freshener I use, and it makes my home smell like apple pie everyday. As the water gets low, refill. (don't forget the stove is on!)
Every once in a while, I will walk around the house with the pot, and let the steam freshen the air. You can do this on a wood burning stove, as well.
The "potpourrie" lasts for about 3 days.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Really like the idea of the natural potpourri on the stovetop with the cinnamon and oranges, and all. I'll bet that smells heavenly. I also found a commercial product in one of our local ACE hardware stores, called Fresh Wave. I have used the crystals (jelly-like) and really like the clean scent of the product. The ingredients listed include natural extracts of lime, pine needles, aniseed, clove, cedarwood and soya. When I bought it, I thought it a tad pricey, but it lasts for over three months. I use it because I went through a rough period, after adopting another male dog, of having him marking things -- for some odd reason, the chairs in my dining room. And like you, I have cleaned everything, but occasionally feel as if I get a *whiff* of something. I leave the jar of crystals out on the buffet.

Fish can be pretty strong, and can last a while.

If you have the time, or children who like arts and crafts, make the pomaders for your closets -- all you need is an orange, whole cloves and a ribbon. Push the cloves into the orange, until you have it covered, and secure the ribbon, loop-style, to hang it.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Are you sure the odor is really on your clothes?

Can anyone else smell it?

Sometimes I get an odor "stuck in my nose" and it won't go away for days, but I am the only one who can smell it.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
The answer to this is simple -- don't cook your fish. SUSHI FOR EVERYONE!!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Lemon scented candles work great. PartyLite offers a really great one. The consultant probably can tell you exactly which one to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink