U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 PM

568 posts, read 247,436 times

Advertisements

I live near two grocery stores. I buy mine from Shoppers grocery at $4.99. They are moist and golden and seem to be about 2.5 lbs. The other grocery store down the street (Giant) overcooks theirs such that they look 1 shade from burnt and they are dry. I have tried to tell the manager several times that the chickens are overcooked. He insists they have to cook them for the specified time. You'd think they'd get the message seeing all the dried up dark chicken left over each day.

I get 4 meals out of one chicken. 2 leg and thigh and a little white meat; and 2 white meat meals. I like to saute the white meat in "Sweet Baby Rays Chicken Wing Sauce" to moisten it up. Rotisserie chicken are so convenient for singles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 AM

17,035 posts, read 21,948,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I live near two grocery stores. I buy mine from Shoppers grocery at $4.99. They are moist and golden and seem to be about 2.5 lbs. The other grocery store down the street (Giant) overcooks theirs such that they look 1 shade from burnt and they are dry. I have tried to tell the manager several times that the chickens are overcooked. He insists they have to cook them for the specified time. You'd think they'd get the message seeing all the dried up dark chicken left over each day.

I get 4 meals out of one chicken. 2 leg and thigh and a little white meat; and 2 white meat meals. I like to saute the white meat in "Sweet Baby Rays Chicken Wing Sauce" to moisten it up. Rotisserie chicken are so convenient for singles!
usda use to recommend 180f for cooked chicken and the inspectors would check this during an inspection..

but they changed to 165f on cooked poultry......
some places have never changed..... and i agree if overcooked its leathery and dry

Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 AM

4,523 posts, read 2,159,452 times
I've seen these more and more in grocery stores in Latin America now too, I love it.

In Medellin you can buy either a whole or half one, and it comes with little steamed potatoes as a side. About the same price for a whole one $5, half is about $3.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 AM

8,723 posts, read 3,735,393 times
I don't care for the grocery rotisserie chicken. Even the smell of it cooking in the store turns me off. But I guess you could use it in chicken soup although you wouldn't get any of the chicken fat you normally get in homemade soup which gives the soup flavor IMO. After it cools I skim some of the fat off but not all of it.

When it comes to beef & chicken soup I like to do it homemade all the way and that's one of the few things I don't take shortcuts with except for the onion. I will usually buy that already chopped so my eyes don't water.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 AM

17,035 posts, read 21,948,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't care for the grocery rotisserie chicken. Even the smell of it cooking in the store turns me off. But I guess you could use it in chicken soup although you wouldn't get any of the chicken fat you normally get in homemade soup which gives the soup flavor IMO. After it cools I skim some of the fat off but not all of it.

When it comes to beef & chicken soup I like to do it homemade all the way and that's one of the few things I don't take shortcuts with except for the onion. I will usually buy that already chopped so my eyes don't water.

Funny you mentioned the smell turns you off....

if thee chickens are cooking in our stores ....as an average customers will buy 20% more in their carriages...

one foodshow i went too...they have "aroma machines" from fresh bread to cookies, to burgers cooking on the grill to roast beef or turkey.......... a few stores bought these and placed them around their respective areas and it does work.......

i wouldn't have believed it ...until i saw it....

Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM

16,184 posts, read 25,171,834 times
When I buy a rotisserie chicken, I have two uses for it:

1) One meal after I bring it home, while it's still hot.
2) The next day, I'll pick all of the meat off and make a TON of chicken salad. Those rotisserie chickens make fabulous chicken salad. I'll even throw in a few bits of the skin for oomph, even though it doesn't really need it.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:13 AM

9,047 posts, read 6,219,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I rather have ^^^ than overcooked chicken...
Me too. Overcooked chicken tends to be dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink