U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 AM

7,624 posts, read 13,898,299 times

Advertisements

I don't think you will find the date because they have an hourly rule for them, which is why you will find the HOUR it was put out. I buy them all the time, they are wonderful for a quick meal!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM

9,613 posts, read 5,694,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I only get my rotisserie chickens from either BJ's or Costco and they are always fresh. Sam's Club is the same, so if you belong to one of these, then that is where I would get my chicken. When you go to those stores, they are cooking the chickens all day and always sell out.

If you want a grocery store rotisserie chicken, ask the workers--not the store manager. You will probably get an honest answer from the employees, who may tell you that you need to go elsewhere for your chicken. I know that at my local grocery, the employees purchase very little where they work.
\

The other day in Costco, saw the rotisierre chicken and it was only $5.00. It was very moist. I think we may be doing this again

Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,614,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't see why not. There's no difference if you bought a chicken, roasted it and then used it for soups. Or you cooked a bunch of chicken and then use it in several dishes Are you seeing somewhere or being told that you shouldn't?
I was told you can't reheat chicken (or any meat product) more than once after refrigerating or freezing. I don't know how many times the rotisserie has been reheated or even left in the danger zone temperatures. I would have no problem eating it with rice. Just worry about cooking all day, freezing and then reheating it again.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM

7,624 posts, read 13,898,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I was told you can't reheat chicken (or any meat product) more than once after refrigerating or freezing. I don't know how many times the rotisserie has been reheated or even left in the danger zone temperatures. I would have no problem eating it with rice. Just worry about cooking all day, freezing and then reheating it again.
If I understand your statement correctly, that is not true.

We often reheat leftovers, even after freezing.

I am old and raised a houseful and NEVER got anyone sick with my cooking, so I think your concern would be unfounded.

Now I NEVER let chicken set OUT (let it sit on the counter before serving/cooking!!!

I always thaw frozen chicken in the fridge. It either gets used right away, or refrigerated, but reheating has never been an issue.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,211,145 times
Quote:
Yeah I definitely would not purchase any foods that have been reheated to keep out the entire day. Try to find a place where you can pick up the chicken as it comes out of the rotisserie oven. My grocery store's rotisserie oven is visible to the public behind the counter. I see them make it several times a day. Try to find a store like that. Does your county not inspect the facilities? I am very surprised it's allowed in your neck of the woods

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,101,200 times
My DW and I probably have bought enough rotisserie chicken over the years to be concerned over the possibility of sprouting feathers. When you have two working adults it is just the easiest, best meal you can get at a supermarket.

I was at Whole Foods yesterday and bought one for $11.99, which galled me (as it always does) when I think I get a better at Costco for $4.99, but Whole Foods is across the street and the nearest Costco is a trek.

We have never had a bad one over the years and we've bought them from Bristol Farms, Gelson's, WF, Von's/Pavilions and Ralph's. They all seem to have pretty stringent rules over how long a chicken can stay in the heat lamp warmer.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,023,393 times
Quote:
I looked for any kind of a date on there but couldn't find one. I will look out for a time stamp.

Do you think it would be okay to slow simmer one for a few hours to make chicken soup? I then plan on eating it for two days after as left overs and then freeze some, and reheat the following week.
Absolutely!

Those pre-made rotisserie chickens are a God-send! I use them to make soups, chicken salad, and to even have as just cooked chicken to eat (I love to eat roasted chicken legs and breast as a quick snack). They're such a time saver.

I would definitely look for a time stamp. I'm not sure if there are any FDA regulations about this, but the 2 grocery stores nearest to me do this. If ever you are concerned and cannot find a time stamp, then perhaps you might want to get your pre-cooked roasted chicken elsewhere. There are enough worries in this life already. You don't need to worry about days-old chicken .

Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM

50,421 posts, read 49,752,989 times
Quote:
Have you had grocery rotisserie chicken? Are they fresh or reheated? What are your opinions in general?

I'm making chicken soup and instead of slow simmering a whole chicken, I found a recipe by Laura Vitale that calls for roasted chicken. She roasts the chicken for a few hours in the oven with thyme, and then slow simmers (with the rest of the ingredients) bone-in for a few more. It's supposed to give chicken soup a really rich flavor, so I want to at least try it.

If they're not fresh, I will probably roast my own whole chicken. I just want to make sure that the chicken is fresh. We try to be careful about reheating cooked chicken too much and like to freeze meals for later. I've looked online and can't find any info. I know I could ask the clerk, but I'm afraid they will just tell me what I want to hear. The chicken doesn't have a date on them (I checked). I just worry they reheat them or leave them out too long, and then I want to use the chicken several more days and reheat myself, so...So thought I would ask here what your opinions are of rotisserie chicken from the grocer .
Had one Sunday night. My friend had picked one up at the store and called and asked me if I wanted to come over and share it with her for dinner. Was very tasty (lemon/pepper seasoning). I'm still alive, too, with no intestinal issues.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 AM

50,421 posts, read 49,752,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Okay, maybe it's just me, but I don't consider anything "fresh" once it has been cooked.
I went to my mother's for dinner, and she was telling me how she was having fresh string beans for dinner. It was December, so I asked her where she got fresh string beans. Well, she bought them in the summer at the farmer's market and then froze them. So I said, "Well, then they aren't really fresh string beans are they?" She was insulted and said, "Yes, they are. They are fresh frozen string beans."

OK, Ma. I ate 'em.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 AM

7,444 posts, read 10,252,612 times
Another vote for Costco. Theirs are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink