U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 AM

12,966 posts, read 24,000,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I was told you can't reheat chicken (or any meat product) more than once after refrigerating or freezing. I don't know how many times the rotisserie has been reheated or even left in the danger zone temperatures. I would have no problem eating it with rice. Just worry about cooking all day, freezing and then reheating it again.
This is not true. When I buy a rotisserie chicken, it lasts me a week, and that includes reheating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,673,906 times
Good to know that a lot of you eat this regularly (w/o problems ) and for up to a week even. They always smell great when I go to the check out.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:05 PM

51,202 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Good to know that a lot of you eat this regularly (w/o problems ) and for up to a week even. They always smell great when I go to the check out.
That's a problem sometimes, that they smell so great. When I bring one home, I'm immediately surrounded by The Pointy-Eared Ones who think it's dinner for them.

(No, I'm not talking about Vulcans.)

Old 03-03-2015, 01:11 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
I have never bought a rotisserie chicken mainly because I am not fond of dark meat and did not want to waste those cuts. However after reading some of your posts and my exploration into using dark meat to make chilis, curries, soups, stews and stir-fries, I may very well purchase one and use the dark meat portions to concoct a variety of dishes.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,946,933 times
We occasionally get rotisserie chickens from Costco and there is some sort of additive to them which causes my sinuses to become gummy for several hours after eating them. Not sure exactly what it's all about, I'm suspecting MSG or some such but we still get them occasionally.

If you are looking for really flavorful chicken soup, get a stewing hen and a fryer and simmer them both. The meat on the stewing hen may not be edible, although you can try running it through a meat grinder to see if it will become tender enough to eat or at least thicken the broth. The flavor, though, from the stewing hen will be divine. The edible meat comes from the fryer, but fryers aren't old enough to have any flavor yet. Which is why two different chickens are necessary for perfect chicken soup.

There is a time when simmering - not boiling, but a simmering - when it smells really, really good. That's the point you want to use the broth. If it boils or simmers too long, you lose the divine aroma and it becomes a lesser broth. Not that it still isn't good, it just isn't as good.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:28 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
I've bought them for years and have never gotten sick off of one. Now, I mainly get them from Publix. Never had one from Costco, so I've got to go check them out. Hungry now...

Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,783,711 times
I usually buy one one grocery day to serve for dinner that night. The family always loves it, except the Hubs complains that they're not big enough.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,323,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a problem sometimes, that they smell so great. When I bring one home, I'm immediately surrounded by The Pointy-Eared Ones who think it's dinner for them.

I get surrounded by kids and pointy eared ones. I have to buy two, one for the actual dinner/soup etc and the other for them to gnaw I mean snack on. My oldest once ate an entire chicken in 5 minutes flat. Teens!

Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Oh, their senses go crazy whenever we bring home take out, we get surrounded too.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I have never bought a rotisserie chicken mainly because I am not fond of dark meat and did not want to waste those cuts. However after reading some of your posts and my exploration into using dark meat to make chilis, curries, soups, stews and stir-fries, I may very well purchase one and use the dark meat portions to concoct a variety of dishes.
Same here. Thinking ahead to two chickens a week (will make life easier) for as long as I can get away with it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink