U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,458,055 times

Advertisements

I know Kroger rotisserie chickens are fresh made and ordered like every other day, not from the meat department at all.. They cook them in a giant rotisserie machine..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,607,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I know that we're all in different parts of the country with different supermarket chains...but...what are your favorite rotisserie chickens?

Where I live, I've tried them from Safeway, Giant (not to be confused with Giant Eagle) Harris Teeter, Bloom (now defunct--was the upscale version of Food Lion) Sam's Club and Wegman's. I've yet to try Costco---I should at some point as my daughter likes their version.

So far, I liked Bloom's due to the good flavor and the plump birds. Now that Bloom is gone, I'm debating on trying one from Food Lion since Bloom was part of the Food Lion family. It's just that other in house made products from Food Lion that I've tried have not been good.

Now, Wegman's is my favorite due to the flavor and size of the bird.

Giant tends to inject flavoring into the bird and goes overboard. Eat their lemon pepper one and that's all you taste for hours after. Safeway's is meh. Harris Teeter, IMO, is just okay---same for Sam's Club.

I'd like to hear what your favorites are.
I shop at Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods. I'm guessing you're in the NOVA area from the stores you listed?
Publix has a good rotisserie, and they're expanding in NC, so hopefully I can add them to the list soon.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,225,664 times
Earth fare or Harris Teeter. I am not a fan of Publix and haven't tried it anywhere else.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,798,624 times
My local Stop & Shop sells tons of them. I used to go in around 4:30 to find them almost always sold out, but in the last couple of months they said in their newsletter they would have them from 5-7pm and damned if they don't, even right after 4pm. They also have fresh ones before noon.

I always buy the natural ones as I try to stay away from gluten and it's easier than asking what is in their various seasonings.

I've been doing 2-3 a week lately. They are $5.99 and I can easily get 3 meals from one. They are half the price of buying one and doing it myself. Just wished the skin tasted as good after being refrigerated lol.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 PM

14,707 posts, read 8,306,190 times
I like to get the ones that have been roasting for a while so the surface of the chicken gets a nice crust, and the meat gets a little drier so nice mixture of juiciness but not too wet.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 PM

11,284 posts, read 5,395,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I shop at Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods. I'm guessing you're in the NOVA area from the stores you listed?
Publix has a good rotisserie, and they're expanding in NC, so hopefully I can add them to the list soon.
Yup, I'm in NoVA. I see that you are in Harris Teeter country Actually, I'm glad that they expanded into NoVA and now I rarely go to Giant.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 PM

1,019 posts, read 561,904 times
The rotisserie chicken was really good, but after having it several times in a few months I got really tired of the taste. It's such a bargain for dinner if we happen to be in the store at the store between 4pm to 6pm. They are always freshly made. I'm gonna have to give it a break for a while.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 AM

4,264 posts, read 1,671,455 times
I have been really enjoying them, with a few meals out of it each time. I've never had a dry or "bad one", the last one being from the "Savory" variety, was delicious and will get again. Since that was from "Food For Less", they are $5.99.

As mentioned you can do a lot with it - having sides with, adding to homemade soup or stir-fry (at the end of cooking time), or cold in salad, sandwiches or just nibbling... yum.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM

12,554 posts, read 14,484,715 times
I love rotisserie chicken and used to buy it all the time, but too often I find that it is bloody near the bone so I have stopped buying it. I even brought it to the attention of the store manager and he said they checked their ovens and found that one wasn't up to temperature and they were fixing it, and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Since then the store has been remodeled and has all new everything, including rotisserie ovens, and I still get chickens that are bloody, so I have just given up on them. I have bought them at Costco, too, but I liked my grocery store's rotisserie chicken better. They were smaller chickens (chickens are supposed to be small; I don't want any hormone-fed Chernobyl chickens) and better flavor.

It's really easy to make your own, though. This recipe makes something very similar to the store's rotisserie chicken. When I do it, I make two at a time.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-s...isserie-style/

Last edited by luzianne; 03-04-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,620,911 times
Costco has the been chicken. I like it better than Whole foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink