Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times

Advertisements

I buy them all the time from Whole Foods. I've eaten them with no problems over several days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 03:51 PM

299 posts, read 263,782 times
We can't afford to eat out, so on a busy day "out" we pick up a couple for our evening meal. Add a few cooked vegetables or a salad, some rice, and you've got a good meal for a fraction of the cost of KFC or even Chik-Fil-A. Leftovers get eaten quickly too...add to sandwiches or soups, etc. We've purchased from Sam's, WalMart and other grocery stores and they've always been good.
"The Mrs."

Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
I almost always check dates on food items that can lose their freshness or spoil, except rotisserie chicken. The two stores where I shop sell out of them so fast it's not an issue. I'm more concerned that they don't cook enough to keep up with demand. I usually do my shopping before or after the evening rush, so getting there at 7 or 8pm they are almost always sold out.

Don't get me started on the baguettes.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I almost always check dates on food items that can lose their freshness or spoil, except rotisserie chicken. The two stores where I shop sell out of them so fast it's not an issue. I'm more concerned that they don't cook enough to keep up with demand. I usually do my shopping before or after the evening rush, so getting there at 7 or 8pm they are almost always sold out.

Don't get me started on the baguettes.
here's a suggestion

call the store,
tell them to put one aside for you with your name on it

go in store
ask for your cooked chicken..

Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I get them from Costco all the time, $4.95 for a whole cooked chicken ! I like them even better than the ones from Publix, much juicier and fresher.

Don

Old 03-03-2015, 05:59 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I get them from Costco all the time, $4.95 for a whole cooked chicken ! I like them even better than the ones from Publix, much juicier and fresher.

Don
That's a good deal. They're 8.99 at Fry's.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here's a suggestion

call the store,
tell them to put one aside for you with your name on it

go in store
ask for your cooked chicken..
I don't like being a PITA to people who handle my food. Seriously though these both seem to be high volume stores. Their hot chicken display(fried & rotisserie) is almost always empty early in the evening. It seems like they lose out on a lot of missed sales.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Have you had grocery rotisserie chicken? Are they fresh or reheated? What are your opinions in general?

I'm making chicken soup and instead of slow simmering a whole chicken, I found a recipe by Laura Vitale that calls for roasted chicken. She roasts the chicken for a few hours in the oven with thyme, and then slow simmers (with the rest of the ingredients) bone-in for a few more. It's supposed to give chicken soup a really rich flavor, so I want to at least try it.

If they're not fresh, I will probably roast my own whole chicken. I just want to make sure that the chicken is fresh. We try to be careful about reheating cooked chicken too much and like to freeze meals for later. I've looked online and can't find any info. I know I could ask the clerk, but I'm afraid they will just tell me what I want to hear. The chicken doesn't have a date on them (I checked). I just worry they reheat them or leave them out too long, and then I want to use the chicken several more days and reheat myself, so...So thought I would ask here what your opinions are of rotisserie chicken from the grocer .
We will purchase a Rotisserie Chicken at rare times and only if they have to be taken off of the Rotisserie and put in the package as we are standing there.
We use them to snack on throughout the day but not put into any dishes but this is our own preference and has nothing to do with the chicken itself.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:20 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
I know that we're all in different parts of the country with different supermarket chains...but...what are your favorite rotisserie chickens?

Where I live, I've tried them from Safeway, Giant (not to be confused with Giant Eagle) Harris Teeter, Bloom (now defunct--was the upscale version of Food Lion) Sam's Club and Wegman's. I've yet to try Costco---I should at some point as my daughter likes their version.

So far, I liked Bloom's due to the good flavor and the plump birds. Now that Bloom is gone, I'm debating on trying one from Food Lion since Bloom was part of the Food Lion family. It's just that other in house made products from Food Lion that I've tried have not been good.

Now, Wegman's is my favorite due to the flavor and size of the bird.

Giant tends to inject flavoring into the bird and goes overboard. Eat their lemon pepper one and that's all you taste for hours after. Safeway's is meh. Harris Teeter, IMO, is just okay---same for Sam's Club.

I'd like to hear what your favorites are.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I know that we're all in different parts of the country with different supermarket chains...but...what are your favorite rotisserie chickens?

Where I live, I've tried them from Safeway, Giant (not to be confused with Giant Eagle) Harris Teeter, Bloom (now defunct--was the upscale version of Food Lion) Sam's Club and Wegman's. I've yet to try Costco---I should at some point as my daughter likes their version.

So far, I liked Bloom's due to the good flavor and the plump birds. Now that Bloom is gone, I'm debating on trying one from Food Lion since Bloom was part of the Food Lion family. It's just that other in house made products from Food Lion that I've tried have not been good.

Now, Wegman's is my favorite due to the flavor and size of the bird.

Giant tends to inject flavoring into the bird and goes overboard. Eat their lemon pepper one and that's all you taste for hours after. Safeway's is meh. Harris Teeter, IMO, is just okay---same for Sam's Club.

I'd like to hear what your favorites are.
there is an awesome store called Mckinnons in Portsmouth new Hampshire
that sells rotisserie chickens for 3.99 each

bbq, lemon pepper, and garlic savory herb are the flavors, I like all of them,,,and will buy a cooked bird to bring home,,,but home is 100 miles north so, I usually eat half of it on the ride home

this is a grocery store with a huge meat market and foods to go
they have the red Chinese ribs -one of my favs and chicken wings ,,,that are cheap and delicious!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink