Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Not all children like to cook, and not all adults can cook.
It never hurts to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyFicket View Post
The only solution I've found is freezer meals. But to really make that work I find it takes the better part of a day to plan, shop, prep, cook, and freeze.
How does it take more time to plan, shop, prep and cook a lasagne that you're going to freeze vs. one you're going to allow to rot in the fridge? Whipping out a few pieces of aluminum foil might take an extra 5 minutes. I guess if you're that pressed for time ...

Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I can't make it THAT cheaply. Just the fresh mozzarella alone runs about $6.00, so I'm going to guess that my home-made pizza for five runs a little more than a third of what we could get from the Papa Murphy's up the road. I can buy a large pizza at the grocery for $6.95, so that comparison is probably a wash.
But Papa Murphy's is not using $6 worth of fresh mozz on their pizzas (and neither do I) they use %100 whole milk mozzerella, provolone, and cheddar, all of which are likely mass produced long-shelf life cheeses like the block mozzzarella you find in supermarkets.

I would say that 80% of the cost of my homemade pizzas is in the cheese. Flour/yeast are dirt cheap when you buy in 25 lb. bags and 2 lb. yeast blocks, I buy tomatoes, stew them and use an immersion blender to make the sauce, adding fresh oregano, and I use whatever cheese I have (and fairly sparingly, you can see sauce between blobs of melted cheese).

Anyway, I am not arguing against buying pizza out of convenience, just saying what I do and what it costs. And honestly, I buy pizza when I am back home in NY, I just don't like paying a premium for 'inferior' pizza here in Albuquerque.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
But Papa Murphy's is not using $6 worth of fresh mozz on their pizzas (and neither do I) they use %100 whole milk mozzerella, provolone, and cheddar, all of which are likely mass produced long-shelf life cheeses like the block mozzzarella you find in supermarkets.

I would say that 80% of the cost of my homemade pizzas is in the cheese. Flour/yeast are dirt cheap when you buy in 25 lb. bags and 2 lb. yeast blocks, I buy tomatoes, stew them and use an immersion blender to make the sauce, adding fresh oregano, and I use whatever cheese I have (and fairly sparingly, you can see sauce between blobs of melted cheese).

Anyway, I am not arguing against buying pizza out of convenience, just saying what I do and what it costs. And honestly, I buy pizza when I am back home in NY, I just don't like paying a premium for 'inferior' pizza here in Albuquerque.
Best thing I ever did was to tag along with a friend going to Costco and buy a 2# bag of yeast. I bake all the time, and I think it's been over a year since I purchased yeast. I do not buy flour in massive quantities, because of storage issues, but the yeast has saved me a bundle. You're right about the cheese, but I like fresh and so does my family. Home-made pizza is a lot of fun to make, relatively easy, and really delicious. It's also a terrific fridge clean out meal. Leftover veggies can be puréed into the sauce or used as toppings. For a part of the year, I use tomato sauce I canned from garden tomatoes, but we're out now and relying on boxed tomato sauce. Take-out is convenient when time is tight, but we all prefer home-made pizza. My favorite restaurant pie comes from Geno's in Chicago. I dream about that pizza!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I get that. My husband is a whiz with building, electrical, plumbing etc. He is a disaster in the kitchen.
It's not even a matter of me being a bad cook. I don't think I'm horrible. I just don't feel like taking the time to prepare a meal and having to clean up the kitchen afterwards. Today I had some bbq ribs, collard greens, candied yams, and fried okra. (No, I don't eat like that every day, but when the mood strikes, I don't deny myself. lol) I didn't cook any of it myself except for the fried okra. Would've taken me hours to prepare and I obviously have more important things to do with my time like post on Internet forums.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How does it take more time to plan, shop, prep and cook a lasagne that you're going to freeze vs. one you're going to allow to rot in the fridge? Whipping out a few pieces of aluminum foil might take an extra 5 minutes. I guess if you're that pressed for time ...
Even packaging right whether it is aluminum foil or tupperware containers, can make food go bad in a period of a week. This happens with beverages. Food only has so long of a shelf-life before it goes bad whether it is homemade and portioned out pre-cooked meals, leftovers from homemade meals, leftovers from store-made meals or leftovers from takeout.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Even packaging right whether it is aluminum foil or tupperware containers, can make food go bad in a period of a week. This happens with beverages. Food only has so long of a shelf-life before it goes bad whether it is homemade and portioned out pre-cooked meals, leftovers from homemade meals, leftovers from store-made meals or leftovers from takeout.
Not when you freeze the food. Food will last much longer than a week. Notice the frozen food section in the market?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not when you freeze the food. Food will last much longer than a week. Notice the frozen food section in the market?
Two words, freezer burn. Food saver bags prevent that, foiling don't.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I cook to save money. I don't have a passion for it. I've found various ways to make it easier. I have a weeks menu when I go to the store. I take a quick look at the recipes to see what ingredients I need to make the list. Tuesday is designated spaghetti night. Thursday is designated soup night. I only I need meals for the other five nights and a couple of lunch meals and snacks. We usually keep breakfast foods around like sausage, eggs, bacon and toast or make breakfast burritos and freeze them.

I keep a few easy meals like frozen pizza or tuna Helper around to have something quick and easy for the days I don't feel like cooking or don't have a lot of time.

I hate washing dishes. I mainly only have simple cooking items that fit in the dishwasher. The frying pan and big glass bowls are an exception.

We get into ruts where everyone gets tired of the food. That's when I stick a piece of paper to the refrigerator and ask for suggestions. The kids are on an Asian food kick right now with requests for lo mein, sushi, pad Thai, stir fry and fried rice. There are some easy recipes for those if you look around.

I cooked more with my kids when they were little. We mainly made things like cookies, lasagna, ramen noodles or Mac n cheese...nothing complicated, but cheaper than eating out. I want them to at least know how to boil water and wash laundry before they move out of my house.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Two words, freezer burn. Food saver bags prevent that, foiling don't.
Most food frozen like than will be consumed in a week or two. For longer term storage, use food saver bags. Whatever. The point is that the food will last if frozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink