Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM

172 posts, read 180,831 times

Advertisements

People who spend hours trying to find "deals" are working harder, not smarter. But I get where people have different priorities. I donate just about everything I can because the tax deductions are better with way less effort than anything I could get at a garage sale or craigslisting.

Takes me 5 minutes to pull up prices for my shopping trip. (I have a kid that comes with me so this is time I would just be waiting around for her to put on her coat and/or decide what toy to take anyway). Usually save around $10 by doing this. If I take 10 minutes and look up coupons (for things I was going to buy anyway) in a online database and clip them, I save even more. If I take another 20 minutes and cross check grocery rebate apps, I save more on top of that. So 35 minutes a week if I am feeling aggressive and minimal effort on my part is worth it for me for the $1,200 I am on target to save this year alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I pray that I am never so poor I have to shop at Walmart.

Being frugal is one thing, but investing in my community is worth the money.
Wow.

You might not understand that there are small, rural towns where Walmart is the only real option. Or that some people really are on such a tight budget that .20 or .50 here and there really do make a difference.

I hope I am never so insensitive that I shame those who might not be in the same financial situation as I am.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:04 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Well, I'm from one of those small rural areas with few shopping options but the people here are wise enough that we kept Walmart out altogether for a long time and, when they snuck in through a technicality, they were limited to a small space in our pre-existiing mall. Most shoppers realize now that Walmart sucks the money OUT of a community. Support your local grocers and farmers!!!

Old 03-07-2015, 11:06 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
No, you will never see me in Walmart, period.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Sometimes if I go, I'll pick up receipts from the self-check trash cans.
Be aware that if you get caught doing that some stores will ban you.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:53 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You might not understand that there are small, rural towns where Walmart is the only real option.
The reason Walmart is the only option in those towns is because not enough people cared enough about the locally owned stores to keep them in business. Or maybe they assumed those businesses would be taken care of by "the other guy". It's also not ironic that when Walmart moves in wages go down and the circle of poverty begins.

Shame people? Maybe. But at least I didn't carelessly create a situation for myself then pull the "poor me it's all we've got" line to attempt to get sympathy for it. When you don't value your community, you get exactly what you deserve.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:54 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Well, I'm from one of those small rural areas with few shopping options but the people here are wise enough that we kept Walmart out altogether for a long time and, when they snuck in through a technicality, they were limited to a small space in our pre-existiing mall. Most shoppers realize now that Walmart sucks the money OUT of a community. Support your local grocers and farmers!!!
Amen!

Old 03-07-2015, 11:59 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I stay away from Walmart on principal!

That didn't take long.

If I stayed away from companies "on principle," I'd stay away from Apple products and would pass up that Ben & Jerry's scoop.

Give me a break.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

That didn't take long.

If I stayed away from companies "on principle," I'd stay away from Apple products and would pass up that Ben & Jerry's scoop.

Give me a break.
It's not like either of those brands provide a necessity.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The reason Walmart is the only option in those towns is because not enough people cared enough about the locally owned stores to keep them in business. Or maybe they assumed those businesses would be taken care of by "the other guy". It's also not ironic that when Walmart moves in wages go down and the circle of poverty begins.

Shame people? Maybe. But at least I didn't carelessly create a situation for myself then pull the "poor me it's all we've got" line to attempt to get sympathy for it. When you don't value your community, you get exactly what you deserve.
Oh please. This was not a thread about whether or not Walmart was a good or bad thing. It was simply a thread about matching cost savings and you mocked people who were discussing ways to save on their grocery bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink