Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,344,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Heat it on a skillet (not cook it), put it in a corn tortilla with sour cream and if you like salsa roll it up and eat it.. YUMMY!!!!!
Or cook it over the flame on a fork. Do this very carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think mortadella is a cheaper version of all beef bologna. Mortadella is made with pork and contains at least 15% fat when made in Europe. If it's made in the US, no fat is added.
Nothin' wrong with pork, and the fat's where moat of the flavor is.

Trader Joe's sells a pretty good Italian made Mortadella which has pistachios in the mix.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,972,883 times
One of my first jobs was in a convent, caring for patients in the nursing home. They had fried bologna every Thursday night. I had never had it before but it was really good!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,815,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, you can have it in a standard sandwich. You know, two slices of bread with stuff between. Although you've already done that and sound a bit bored with it already.

You can take the same sandwich fillings - in this case your balogna/baloney - and put it on flour tortillas, roll them up and then cut them into slices. We call those rollups, dunno what everyone else calls them.

You can do either of the above with fried balogna for a different version.

You can slice up the bologna into thin strips and put it on a chef's salad.

You can dice it up and add it to scrambled eggs or an omelet.

You can dice it up and put it in macaroni and cheese.

You could probably dice it up and put it in chili, although that's getting towards odd.

You can take a small fancy cookie cutter and cut the bologna up into cutsie little shapes. Get a cracker, add a dab of cream cheese, stick a cutsie bologna shape on it and stab it with a toothpick that has an olive on it. Voila! Canapes.

Roll them up with the cream cheese inside and say they are carnivore's cannoli.
Who are you? Bologna Gump?

Old 03-11-2015, 03:51 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,614,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Or cook it over the flame on a fork. Do this very carefully.
Yes, we used to do this when we were little. I usually liked to have it in a flour tortilla with mustard and sometimes with cheddar cheese. We also used to do the flame and fork thing with wienies until they were nicely charred. We'd eat the wienies off the fork, making sure to blow at the fork tines while we ate lest we burn ourselves when we got to the middle. My mom hated how we messed up all the forks by doing this.

Unlike most in this thread I eat bologna fairly regularly. Sometimes months may go by where I don't buy or eat it, but certainly not years.

The last time I ate bologna was about a month ago. I had been having cravings for bologna salad sandwiches. Until then I hadn't had one in quite a few years. The only times that I can remember eating them is at baby showers or funeral receptions. I decided to make my own and went looking online for recipes. I also asked my mom how she made hers. After considering all the recipes, I decided to make mine very simply. I made it with just three ingredients, bologna, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise. It came out quite good and pretty much how I remember.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 PM

6,719 posts, read 4,757,769 times
When I was a kid, there was a bakery in our neighborhood with the absolute best Crusty Italian bread. Every other week my aunt, uncle, and cousins would come in from out of town. Gramma would cook pasta and meatballs, the sauce for dinner would simmer all day, and that bread was a staple.

The cousins and I would play outside all day, after church, until dinnertime.

Lunch for us kids was usually a quick couple of sandwiches made with that wonderful bread slathered with butter, and believe it or not, balogna!! Fabulous.

I wish I could re-create that. I do still like balogna, but it's not the same.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times
I didn't see salami the day of buying the bologna. It's another item I've not eaten in I don't know how many years. It has a whole different taste from bologna. ABQalex's post reminds me I have sweet pickles, so maybe tomorrow I'll have a bologna sandwich with those pickles!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,920,878 times
Make a cut from the center of the slice out to the edge then fry it up. The slit will open up and smile at you. Put it on a hamburger roll with a slice of tomato (or not). I used to make these and called them Pac Man sandwiches. The kids loved it.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
There are many uses for the parts of animals you don't exaclty normally want "crawling around on your plate", but still tastes good. One of them is bologna.

We had TOO MUCH of it as a kid...a bolgna sandwich 3 xs a week with cheese.

BUT my spouse and I get occasional cravings for it, and PREFER GERMAN BOLOGNA. There is something tasty!
ALthough I hate squishy white bread, it seems to be a favorite here, and I cannot argue.

I jsut LOVE Fried bologna sandwiches, too! nice and carmelized/chared, tasty!

Thnak goodness we just picked up some GERMAN BOLOGNA today the deli on sale for $1.99/lb!

I can go have a sammie now...on squishy wheat split top bread {bought for the sammies}

Old 03-11-2015, 11:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
I have completely given up on food packaging. The resealable bags don't leave enough to grab above the zipper part, so you can grab it and open it again. I don't even try anymore. I just get out my kitchen scissors, then put the opened package into a zip lock bag.

OP, you can freeze baloney. Put a few slices in a few different ziplock freezer bags, so you can satisfy your baloney cravings when desired without having to buy another whole package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink