Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The point (which you completely missed) is that the boom in popularity surrounding chicken nuggets is in fact the convenience factor that kids will willingly eat them without parental guidance toward including a more nutritionally balanced option. The non-confrontational approach by many parents has led to a couple of generations of picky eaters that have laundry lists of items they won't eat, and as a middle-aged individual is something I have not see the likes of when I was growing up. Furthermore "the too much trouble" premise is far from ridiculous if you had any kind of awareness of modern child day rearing practices in the U.S. as it's clearly been documented/exhibited in terms of the results to date.
kyle,,, "you completely missed the point" why so confrontational??

no one here in this longggg thread is saying kids are eating nuggets everyday..

the occasional nugget wont kill any kid,,

not one person or parent here is advocating eating nuggets all the time,,,, or as a big part of the kids diet,,,

we just don't like the fear mongering of health Nazi's saying "you must never allow your kid to have a nugget"

the op original question , is when did nuggets become a kids food of choice when dining out

im not sure if it even is,,,, but for an occasional treat let the kid have a nugget,,

my son went years without having a nugget and probably hasn't had one in over 5 yrs,,,,but if he did/does.... so what??? the more I tell him not to do or eat something, the more he will when im not around....(parenting 101)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Probably because it's, while incorrect, for some reason easier than acknowledging what somebody else is saying as valid and accurate. But it's a forum, par for the course, and I don't require validation of my commentary...I'm pretty solid on it or I'd not have posted it. No biggie.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
The point (which you completely missed) is that the boom in popularity surrounding chicken nuggets is in fact the convenience factor that kids will willingly eat them without parental guidance toward including a more nutritionally balanced option. The non-confrontational approach by many parents has led to a couple of generations of picky eaters that have laundry lists of items they won't eat, and as a middle-aged individual is something I have not see the likes of when I was growing up. Furthermore "the too much trouble" premise is far from ridiculous if you had any kind of awareness of modern child day rearing practices in the U.S. as it's clearly been documented/exhibited in terms of the results to date.
Maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. Maybe kids like to eat chicken nuggets and the like at restaurants because they like them and don't get to eat them often at home. Most of the "healthy" choices at many restaurants are some form of boneless, skinless chicken breast with some sort of topping or flavored marinade. Since chicken breasts are pretty popular with most at-home cooks, maybe the kids want a special treat that they can't or don't usually have at home?

I like ordering burgers and fried foods at restaurants because they are things that I rarely make at home...

Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

no one here in this longggg thread is saying kids are eating nuggets everyday..

the occasional nugget wont kill any kid,,

not one person or parent here is advocating eating nuggets all the time,,,, or as a big part of the kids diet,,,

we just don't like the fear mongering of health Nazi's saying "you must never allow your kid to have a nugget"

the op original question , is when did nuggets become a kids food of choice when dining out

im not sure if it even is,,,, but for an occasional treat let the kid have a nugget,,

my son went years without having a nugget and probably hasn't had one in over 5 yrs,,,,but if he did/does.... so what??? the more I tell him not to do or eat something, the more he will when im not around....(parenting 101)
It's not confrontational, it's setting the intent straight. The occasional nugget won't kill any child but in case you haven't noticed at the grocery store there is massive real estate dedicated to chicken tenders/chicken nuggets and they probably by far carry the most proportion of real estate in said supermarkets, which is by no accident. It's not a stretch using that as a measuring stick of how ingrained they've become in the American "diet" which leads back to Parenting 101 and my assertion that chicken nuggets/tenders have become the "easy out".

Old 03-15-2015, 01:37 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
It's not confrontational, it's setting the intent straight. The occasional nugget won't kill any child but in case you haven't noticed at the grocery store there is massive real estate dedicated to chicken tenders/chicken nuggets and they probably by far carry the most proportion of real estate in said supermarkets, which is by no accident. It's not a stretch using that as a measuring stick of how ingrained they've become in the American "diet" which leads back to Parenting 101 and my assertion that chicken nuggets/tenders have become the "easy out".
I haven't really noticed that chicken nuggets have a "massive" section in the grocery store, just a section the size of the freezer door, but okay. But just because a person buys a bag of chicken nuggets does not mean that nuggets are a HUGE part of their child's diet. Maybe they want to keep something easy on hand for when the babysitter comes or for busy sports practice nights. I looked up the nutritional information for Tyson chicken nuggets, and it's not too frightening. I didn't see any unpronounceable ingredients. They're rather high in fat and sodium, yes, but again, if a child ate five nuggets as ONE meal out of the day and ate reasonably well the rest of the day, he or she would still be within the healthy dietary guidelines for the day.

Tyson: Fully Cooked Chicken Nuggets

For example, kids from four to eight should have a minimum of 1,200mg of sodium and no more than 2,200mg of sodium per day. A serving of the nuggets has a whopping 470mg, but that doesn't take the child anywhere near the upper limit.

How Much Sodium Does a Child Require? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Again, I am not promoting chicken nuggets as a healthy meal option for every day. I don't think they are that bad when eaten in moderation, though, and I don't think a parent is a bad parent for feeding a child these nuggets. The world is not going to end due to chicken nuggets, okay?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:55 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
USDA ERS - Americans

Quote:
On a less positive note, Homescan panelists allocated less of their food budgets to fruits and vegetables and more to packaged and processed foods and beverages in 2006 than in 1998. Expenditure shares for fruits and vegetables each fell by 1.4 percentage points over the period, while the expenditure share for packaged and processed foods rose by 3.2 percentage points.
There's pretty extensive data collected on what goes into grocery carts. There's a lot of good information in this one site, and if you were to overlay the timeline of how grocery purchases and eating out trends have changed with the timeline of the increase in obesity rates- well let's say it does indeed correlate.

We're not innocent either- we buy some packaged entrees, but we do try to limit it as much as possible.

Something else that data set shows is an interesting set of surveys, one between 1977-1978 and 2005-2008. In 1977-1978 families ate fast food 3.1% of the time and restaurants 3.3% (6.4% of the time). The period between 2005-2008 showed a pretty massive upswing- 13.2% for fast food and 6.7% for restaurants - almost 20% of time.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
I've never noticed a huge section of chicken nuggets in any grocery store. I would say frozen vegetables have the largest section in any of the grocery stores I visit... But then that doesn't go with your idea that parents are irresponsible and shovel nuggets and other horrible foods down their kids throats 24/7/365.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:19 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The thread topic is "When did chicken nuggets become the kiddie food of choice when dining out."
Right, but our discussion was whether kids' menus mostly contain crap food.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I don't think kids' menus contain a significantly different quality of food than is on the adult menu at a given restaurant.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:27 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
There is a big difference between hot dogs and chicken nuggets. IMO, no one should ever eat a hot dog. Okay, maybe once or twice a year.From the American Cancer Society:

Just how much of a concern are these processed meats in terms of cancer risk? A number of studies have suggested that people who eat even a relatively small amount of them over many years can increase the risk of colorectal cancer. In a study our American Cancer Society researchers published in the Journal of the American Medical Association a few years ago, high consumption of processed meat over 10 years was associated with a 50 percent increased risk in cancer of the lower colon and rectum. High consumption was defined as 1 oz. per day, 5-6 times per week for men, and 1 oz. per day, 2-3 days per week for women. (To give you a frame of reference, the typical bun length hot dog is about 2 oz.; 2 slices of cooked bacon are about an ounce).

Hot dog! Headlines Can Be Deceiving.

You all may have also heard about the 1994 study that found eating more than twelve hot dogs per month increases the rate of childhood leukemia. There's some credibility to that, it seems:

Processed meats and risk of childhood leukemia (California, USA). - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink