Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 03:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
kyle,,, "you completely missed the point" why so confrontational??

no one here in this longggg thread is saying kids are eating nuggets everyday..

the occasional nugget wont kill any kid,,

my son went years without having a nugget and probably hasn't had one in over 5 yrs,,,,but if he did/does.... so what??? the more I tell him not to do or eat something, the more he will when im not around....(parenting 101)
Off topic, but that Parenting 101 tip above is such nonsense. And trotted out as an excuse for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never noticed a huge section of chicken nuggets in any grocery store. I would say frozen vegetables have the largest section in any of the grocery stores I visit... But then that doesn't go with your idea that parents are irresponsible and shovel nuggets and other horrible foods down their kids throats 24/7/365.

frozen veggies have much more space than nuggets,,

you are right

Old 03-15-2015, 04:15 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
I've never noticed a huge section of chicken nuggets in any grocery store. I would say frozen vegetables have the largest section in any of the grocery stores I visit... But then that doesn't go with your idea that parents are irresponsible and shovel nuggets and other horrible foods down their kids throats 24/7/365.
I don't know about chicken nuggets specifically, but there is a very large section at most grocery stores than includes some combination of frozen fried foods, much of it chicken.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
frozen veggies have much more space than nuggets,,

you are right
Same here- one or two types of nuggets, and quite a few more of veggies- but the remainder of the frozen-food aisles are devoted almost entirely to things like frozen pizza, t.v. dinners, microwavable snacks, and an entire side of one aisle to nothing but ice creams.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
frozen veggies have much more space than nuggets
Yeah while at the grocery store today, I decided to have a look down the frozen food aisles. Frozen veggies took up one whole side of an aisle. The chicken nuggets were in one very small section, maybe taking up 1/16th of one side of an aisle.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Albertons in Helena pretty much has one large aisle devoted to frozen foods. Begins with maybe a 2-3' wide section of frozen turkey's, cornish hens, hams and such and then the next column is frozen veggies- maybe 10', followed by 10-15' packaged meals, chicken tenders in a bag, hot pockets, Stouffer's etc. Then comes ice cream, followed by a vast array of lean cuisines, microwave dinners etc..

Opposite of the is a refrigerated section with bacon, sausage, lunch meats, pickles, packaged cheese, cheese spreads- stuff like that.

Go in to Costco and their is a massive amount of frozen packaged foods, burgers, nuggets, oriental style foods etc.. I buy some of their frozen fish fillets, but not so much of their battered products. Then you go to the meat section and there is a pretty large display of packaged meals of all assortments.

I do like Costco's mixed frozen California style veggies, and we stock up on their canned green beans. Their plain tri-tip is hard to beat too, plus their packaged fresh chicken. They have an awesome produce room as well.

We're pretty much shop 40% Costco, 40% Albertons, and 20% natural grocer types. We've got 3 natural food markets, but they are quite spendy. 70% of our meat protein comes from wild game though.. We hardly ever buy beef, and my neighbor owns a meat cutting business so we get 1/2 hog every year. I use most of the trim to make my venison / goose salami, sausages, brats etc..

Old 03-15-2015, 09:47 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln ya View Post
**** all this healthy crap. Im tired of it. I eat fast food, hot dogs, burgers, nuggets, fried foods, bacon, eggs, whatever I like Every Day, and Im doing just fine. I like cheese dogs personally, but chili dogs are good too. And I Drink Lots Of Beer, And Whiskey, and Im doing just fine. People need to relax with all this health crap.
Hey, that's just fine. It's your body, and you can eat whatever you like. The point of nutrition research is not to tell people what they can and can't eat. It's to give people information. Different people have different priorities, different aversions to risk, etc., so you can take or leave any information you want.

I don't think the reasoning of "I eat junk and I'm healthy, so healthy food is overrated" is valid, though.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:08 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Yeah while at the grocery store today, I decided to have a look down the frozen food aisles. Frozen veggies took up one whole side of an aisle. The chicken nuggets were in one very small section, maybe taking up 1/16th of one side of an aisle.
the chicken nugget, being ostracized by the health food Nazi's into non existence,,,,shaming and guilting people not to buy them,,,,because if you do,,,you will eat them everyday ,,,,,,and studies have shown if you eat more than two million nuggets in a year, it isn't healthy

also, studies have shown, the non healthy and unclean people that do buy chicken nuggets will eventually die, 100 years from now we will all be dead, will a chicken nugget be engraved on your headstone as the reason why?? will you have an open casket at your funeral holding chicken nuggets? will a family member spread your dead ashes over a mcnugget happy meal??

Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I never had a chicken nugget as a young child in the 1970s. I found out about them circa 2000 when dining out single moms(kiddie in tow). I noticed restaurants would have this item on their menus although it appeared out of place. (I joke item No.33 is always Chicken Nuggets) appears on every restaurant even Chinese ones.

But to be serious when and why did this tread start? Blame it on McDonalds?
Could be worse.
When I was growing up it was hot dogs.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Off topic, but that Parenting 101 tip above is such nonsense. And trotted out as an excuse for everything.
I disagree. My child ate very well when he was young. I cooked his baby food. He loved broccoli when he was four. He'd eat nearly everything I put in front of him. Three generations of woman cooked for him. He helped me garden and harvest vegetables.

Fast forward to his teens--he shoveled garbage into his mouth for years. I feel a bit queasy thinking about the canned chili, Kraft mac and cheese, chicken nugget casserole he made for his friends. They loved it. I had to sit outside so that I didn't become ill.

You haven't lived with teenagers, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink