Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times

Advertisements

My microwave makes a perfect bread box. Counter space is limited, and I rarely use the "nuke," so that's where I keep my bread and fresh baked goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you aren't comfortable with it, fold the bag over at the top and make two small tears and fold down the piece in the middle
That's how I do it ... but mainly because I'm not even sure I own a stapler at home. LOL

Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I use mine everyday in fact I am on my 2nd one. My original that I had for 12 years stopped working 1 month ago. I re-heat leftovers, veggies, I make rice in it, melt butter, French toast in a mug, sometimes eggs, re-heat soups.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:55 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I wonder about using olive oil with it. Maybe I'll try it...some day.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:22 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,365,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, I'm not. I use mine to heat up my coffee. That's it.
^ I use mine to heat up my tea, that's it.

The microwave is necessary to me solely for that purpose, though-I use it multiple times each day.
I also store the half-full cup of tea in there, to keep it free of dust & lint, between moments when I'm actively drinking it.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
I use the defrost feature several times a week. We keep bacon in the freezer as well as most meat I'm not going to use 3 days after purchase. We heat skim milk to add hot chocolate mix to instead of water (we have instant hot water at sink)

I'd be lost without my microwave but I know there are many more ways to use it than I do now.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
I use my microwave constantly. It's already 80F+ where I live, so I do anything I can to avoid turning on the gas oven. Even the gas burners on my stove heat up the kitchen.

My elderly mother lives with me and she eats oatmeal for breakfast every day. I make it in the microwave in the bowl she eats it out of, after she adds her preferred condiments. Clean up is easy since there's no pan to wash. I make my coffee in a Cuisinart Grind and Brew, but I like the milk I add to be hot, too (heating skim milk makes it taste better in coffee). So I heat a small pitcher of milk in the microwave.

My mother eats a lot of soup. I have a special microwave-appropriate container (with a vented lid and a handle) for her to heat it in so she is able to do it herself. Otherwise I don't let her take hot things out of the microwave since she is not steady anymore — but this covered container works great for her.
Sistema® KLIP IT® Microwavable 22 oz.*Mug - BedBathandBeyond.com

We also eat a lot of leftovers since I like to cook something family-sized and then freeze single-sized portions for later use. Those all get microwaved right on the plate that goes to the table. I have a plate cover that allows the microwave to do its thing faster. I also eat a lot of Lean Cuisine and I microwave those, too.

When I drink herb tea I put a tagless Celestial Seasonings teabag in a mug, fill it with filtered water from the refrigerator door and microwave it until it's hot.

Since I live in Arizona, I often serve corn chips and salsa and/or guacamole to guests. I heat the corn chips in the microwave so they are warm when served. People seem to like that.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Mine is a glorified shelf. Oh, and it does cool things with marshmallows.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I use mine. I heat my coffee in it, thaw frozen foods in it, heat soup, cook rice in a partially covered bowl, bake potatoes, cook oatmeal, and make Orville (however-you-spell-his-last-name) popcorn. When cooking a meal, usually some things will be cooked on the stove while others will be in the microwave. I also use it to heat up a heating pad type of thing for sore muscles.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
Our microwave is mostly used as somewhere to put meat to defrost during the day. Can't leave it out due to rather large dog who counter cruises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink