U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,750,301 times

Advertisements

Yuk! I never crossed the 1% lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:59 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
I use half-n-half in my coffee too, whole milk if there isn't any.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 AM

28,868 posts, read 15,965,643 times
I switch off between 1% and "reduced fat" (formerly 2%, at least here in California). Skim milk is much too watery for my liking. Ick.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There's a ton of milk in the fridge at work, which gets replenished every day to keep the denizens happy. I mostly make my coffee with skimmed milk and the last three days I've been tasting undisturbed whole milk, with all the fat in it.

And the verdict is it tastes so much better and more satisfying.

So I'm thinking, what's society's obsession with skimmed milk anyway, though it tastes like crap. I mean come on, 60 to 70 cals of fat per serving is NOT gonna make anyone obese.

But I am wondering what the verdict here is? Would you recommend whole milk for any other reason other than the taste?

I grew up drinking directly from the cows in our farms. So, whole milk here is not even that close, but it's getting there.
For coffee or almost any drinks: yep, the real thing, but for plain drinking I have no problem with skim milk. I think, of course it depends how much you drink. If all you are drinking is a glass or so a week or putting it on cereal do what you enjoy; if you are a big milk drinker stick with skim. Heck I remember when we called it "blue milk" it has come a long way baby.

I have to admit, I have trouble with any low fat or non fat food especially dairy products. Just let me cut back a little and use the real thing. The problem, I don't cut back enough.

About a month or so ago (probably closer to 2 months ago) I decided to switch from real butter to spread. Partially for health and partly for cost. Well, I bought one of thsoe huge tubs of Counrty Crock. It has no flavor, it does melt good on pancakes, but other than that it is about as useless as a piece of thread on the floor. Eventually, I am going to dump it somewhere, just so it doesn't return.

Nita

Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I don't drink a lot of milk, but I like the crisp, fresh taste of skim milk now, although it was an adjustment at first. Whole milk seems kind of thick and too rich to me. I do not hesitate to use everything from half & half to heavy cream in cooking and baking. Sauces and baked goods are intended to have the fat in them to come out as they should. Everything in moderation.
I certainly wouldn't eat anything like artificial creamer in coffee.
My BIL is no kid anymore, but drinks a lot of whole milk every day. In his case, whole milk is just stupid, since he's fat and sedentary.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For coffee or almost any drinks: yep, the real thing, but for plain drinking I have no problem with skim milk. I think, of course it depends how much you drink. If all you are drinking is a glass or so a week or putting it on cereal do what you enjoy; if you are a big milk drinker stick with skim. Heck I remember when we called it "blue milk" it has come a long way baby.

I have to admit, I have trouble with any low fat or non fat food especially dairy products. Just let me cut back a little and use the real thing. The problem, I don't cut back enough.

About a month or so ago (probably closer to 2 months ago) I decided to switch from real butter to spread. Partially for health and partly for cost. Well, I bought one of thsoe huge tubs of Counrty Crock. It has no flavor, it does melt good on pancakes, but other than that it is about as useless as a piece of thread on the floor. Eventually, I am going to dump it somewhere, just so it doesn't return.

Nita
I have been scammed by the fitness parasites to drink this junk for almost 3 years

A fair share of my youth has been deprived by fat free milk.

I picked up 2% and almond milk yesterday.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 07-16-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,868,909 times
Agree, skim milk stinks. I can't drink milk anyway but I can use the lactose free stuff and anything less than 2%... why bother.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM

669 posts, read 1,338,156 times
I have only drunk skim milk for the past 15 years. Whole milk tastes like someone took milk, dumped in a bunch of butter and mixed it around for a little while. I agree though that skim milk is not good for cooking or baking.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 32,710 times
i do have a feeling that anything that is processed is not good, so the question is how the skim milk is made? sure its processed, do take a look at how its skim milk are made!! there was no skim milk in early days!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:50 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
^^ There was if granny got up first and took all of the cream off of the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or